• Spying iTerm to iTerm

From alterego@1:103/705 to Digital Man on Wed Oct 7 22:49:32 2020
    Howdy,

So I have a scenario for you, wondering if its a problem or something that just cannot work.

I often connect to my BBS with iTerm (on my MAC desktop) - so I guess I connect as a UTF-8 terminal(?) - and things render well.

Occasionally, I also login on my laptop using iTerm (my laptop) - forgetting that I've not logged off from my desktop. So that my read pointers arent messed up, I ";spy N" to my desktop session to log it off, log off from my laptop and login again - if I dont do it this way, I end up re-reading messages (because the last read pointers havent been updated)...

Anyway, when I spy on that terminal (so iTerm to an iTerm session) - the display is all messed up - I guess somewhere it is re-translating what it thinks is CP437 to UTF8 (again)?

IE: If I spy Syncterm to a Syncterm session the display is OK, but and spying an iTerm to an iTerm session is messed up.

I remember reading (or watching on youtube?) that you had UTF8 translating doors that are outputting CP437, so I would have thought that spying on a UTF8 terminal from a UTF8 terminal should render well - but it doesnt?

Something you can fix, or cannot?

...ëîåï

... An honest politician is one who, when bought, stays bought.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to alterego on Wed Oct 7 12:34:11 2020
    Re: Spying iTerm to iTerm
    By: alterego to Digital Man on Wed Oct 07 2020 10:49 pm

Howdy,

So I have a scenario for you, wondering if its a problem or something that just cannot work.

I often connect to my BBS with iTerm (on my MAC desktop) - so I guess I connect as a UTF-8 terminal(?) - and things render well.

Occasionally, I also login on my laptop using iTerm (my laptop) -
    forgetting
    that I've not logged off from my desktop. So that my read pointers arent messed up, I ";spy N" to my desktop session to log it off, log off from my laptop and login again - if I dont do it this way, I end up re-reading messages (because the last read pointers havent been updated)...

Anyway, when I spy on that terminal (so iTerm to an iTerm session) - the display is all messed up - I guess somewhere it is re-translating what it thinks is CP437 to UTF8 (again)?

Yup, it's a known problem.

IE: If I spy Syncterm to a Syncterm session the display is OK, but and spying an iTerm to an iTerm session is messed up.

I remember reading (or watching on youtube?) that you had UTF8 translating doors that are outputting CP437, so I would have thought that spying on a UTF8 terminal from a UTF8 terminal should render well - but it doesnt?

Something you can fix, or cannot?

Anything can be fixed, but right now, there's no knowledge of the spied-on terminal settings (dimensions, character set, or encoding) by the spy. So it's a problem, yeah, but no immediate or obvious solution.

digital man

Rush quote #12:
    Hiding beneath the sheetsm, got to try and fill the void...
    Norco, CA WX: 84.2øF, 40.0% humidity, 5 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)