• Renegade and doors

From Jim Haight@1:322/757 to All on Sat Feb 27 18:19:05 2021
    OK! I have to laugh because I cannot seem to figure out the routine to call doors. Since I've done this with menu based systems before, I configured LORD in the menu and dabbled with calling start.bat in the game directory and/or tried a lord.bat in the bbs directory. Nothing has worked yet. I did this successfully like 15 years ago but my question now is.. do you need to initiate a fossil driver like netfoss similar to Mystic or Ele? Or are you people still using fossils like BNU?

I am running the bbs under windows XP using Net2BBS as my telnet front end.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
    * Origin: (1:322/757)
  • From Jay Harris@1:229/664.1 to Jim Haight on Sat Feb 27 20:34:07 2021
    *** Quoting Jim Haight from a message to All ***

OK! I have to laugh because I cannot seem to figure out the routine
    to call doors. Since I've done this with menu based systems before, I configured LORD in themenu and dabbled with calling start.bat in the
    game directory and/or tried a lord.bat in the bbs directory. Nothing
    has worked yet. I did this successfully like 15 years ago but my
    question now is.. do you need to initiate a fossil driver like
    netfoss similar to Mystic or Ele? Or are you people still using
    fossils like BNU?

With Telegard anyway I don't need to call the fossil driver again since it's loaded when the BBS is started. For LORD I just call the start.bat file with the door.sys door code and it "just works".

Jay

... The cause of problems are solutions!

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4/mL
    * Origin: Northern Realms | 289-424-5180 | bbs.nrbbs.net (1:229/664.1)
  • From Jim Haight@1:322/757 to Jay Harris on Sat Feb 27 23:31:27 2021

Yes I thought about Telegard and have it in an old file. I looked at it and tried to call the game start.bat directly. It's something simple and I'll get it. Part of the fun I guess.

*** Quoting Jim Haight from a message to All ***

OK! I have to laugh because I cannot seem to figure out the routine
    to call doors. Since I've done this with menu based systems before, I configured LORD in the menu and dabbled with calling start.bat in the game directory and/or tried a lord.bat in the bbs directory. Nothing has worked yet. I did this successfully like 15 years ago but my question now is.. do you need to initiate a fossil driver like
    netfoss similar to Mystic or Ele? Or are you people still using
    fossils like BNU?

With Telegard anyway I don't need to call the fossil driver again since it's loaded when the BBS is started. For LORD I just call the start.bat file with the door.sys door code and it "just works".

Jay

... The cause of problems are solutions!

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4/mL
    * Origin: Northern Realms | 289-424-5180 | bbs.nrbbs.net (1:229/664.1)
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to Jim Haight on Sun Feb 28 05:18:21 2021
    On 27 Feb 21 18:19:05, Jim Haight said the following to All:

OK! I have to laugh because I cannot seem to figure out the routine to call doors. Since I've done this with menu based systems before, I configured LO in the menu and dabbled with calling start.bat in the game directory and/or tried a lord.bat in the bbs directory. Nothing has worked yet. I did this successfully like 15 years ago but my question now is.. do you need to init a fossil driver like netfoss similar to Mystic or Ele? Or are you people st using fossils like BNU?

I am running the bbs under windows XP using Net2BBS as my telnet front end.

If you are using Net2BBS then presumably you're using NetFoss, which would already be emulating the Fossil driver necessary for Renegade and subsequently all of your door games to run. Manipulating Fossil stuff is completely unnecessary unless you plan to offer a dialup-line.

The problem is likely in how you are calling Lord. That game expects a dropfile to exist at a path you define; and Renegade only creates dropfiles in directories you define.

On this system that game is called as:

Menu filename: ONLINE
    Command #3 of 56

1. Long descript :(1) LORD - Legend of the Red Dragon
    2. Short descript:(1) LORD
    3. Menu keys :1
    4. ACS required :""
    5. Cmdkeys :DG
    6. Options :doors\lord\start.bat (percent N)
    Flags :None
    Q. Quit

DG meaning Renegade should write a DOOR.SYS dropfile and Percent-N passing the current node-number. You must also define the temporary directory in System Config-Modem/Node as thats where the dropfile is written. Then tell Lordcfg to reach the appropriate directories.

The first line of Start.bat actually must change the directory to \renegade\doors\lord since by default the working directory is \renegade. Renegade and Lord must also be configured to "lock" the COM port at a set rate, lets say 57600.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (1:229/426)
  • From Jim Haight@1:322/757 to Nick Andre on Sun Feb 28 08:32:36 2021
    Re: Re: Renegade and doors
    By: Nick Andre to Jim Haight on Sun Feb 28 2021 05:18 am

Menu filename: ONLINE
    Command #3 of 56

1. Long descript :(1) LORD - Legend of the Red Dragon
    2. Short descript:(1) LORD
    3. Menu keys :1
    4. ACS required :""
    5. Cmdkeys :DG
    6. Options :doors\lord\start.bat (percent N)
    Flags :None
    Q. Quit

DG meaning Renegade should write a DOOR.SYS dropfile and Percent-N passing the current node-number. You must also define the temporary directory in System Config-Modem/Node as thats where the dropfile is written. Then tell Lordcfg to reach the appropriate directories.

The first line of Start.bat actually must change the directory to \renegade\doors\lord since by default the working directory is \renegade. Renegade and Lord must also be configured to "lock" the COM port at a set rate, lets say 57600.

Ok actually have everything here as you illustrate. I have defined nodes as temp, temp1,temp2, etc. My command under 6 Options is from the root i.e., C:\RG\Doors\Lord\start.bat %N the game start.bat is configured for the specific directories. I think it's in the system-config/modem/node that I need to revisit.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32