• rpi kernel

From Ralph Spitzner@3:770/3 to All on Fri Aug 13 14:58:02 2021
    can anyone give me some insight on the differences between

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

and the sources on kernel.org ?
    i.e should the rpi-kernel not be 'mainline' by now, or are there still somemodules etc. that haven't
    found their way into the kernel tree ?
    the obvious thing is that there's no bcm2711_defconfig on kernel.org.....

regards
    -rasp
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | Fido<>Usenet Gateway (3:770/3)
  • From Theo@3:770/3 to Ralph Spitzner on Sun Aug 15 23:57:39 2021
    Ralph Spitzner <rasp@spitzner.org> wrote:

i.e should the rpi-kernel not be 'mainline' by now, or are there still somemodules etc. that haven't
    the obvious thing is that there's no bcm2711_defconfig on kernel.org.....

I don't know specifically the state of mainline support for the RPi, but in general changes to the Linux kernel are developed out-of-tree, in a separate repo, and then patches are submitted for merging into mainline. That means mainline always lags the development tree. The github.com/raspberrypi/linux tree is the repo where the RPi folks develop their kernel, and any patches
    may only be submitted to mainline later on. So the RPi tree is likely to be more up to date.

In addition, the RPi tree contains files that probably wouldn't be accepted into mainline, like device tree overlays specific to Pi peripherals.

Theo
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ralph Spitzner@3:770/3 to Theo on Mon Aug 16 11:08:00 2021
    Theo wrote on 8/16/21 12:57 AM:
    [...]
    I don't know specifically the state of mainline support for the RPi, but in general changes to the Linux kernel are developed out-of-tree, in a separate repo, and then patches are submitted for merging into mainline. That means mainline always lags the development tree. The github.com/raspberrypi/linux tree is the repo where the RPi folks develop their kernel, and any patches may only be submitted to mainline later on. So the RPi tree is likely to be more up to date.

the commits ahead/behind mostly tell different....

In addition, the RPi tree contains files that probably wouldn't be accepted into mainline, like device tree overlays specific to Pi peripherals.

Theo

that, of course is an argument :-)

-rasp
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Computer Nerd Kev@3:770/3 to Ralph Spitzner on Mon Aug 16 23:20:39 2021

i.e should the rpi-kernel not be 'mainline' by now, or are there
    still somemodules etc. that haven't
    the obvious thing is that there's no bcm2711_defconfig on
    kernel.org.....

Unless something has changed recently (I doubt it), the dwc-otg USB
    driver is specific to the RPi kernel (or at least the RPi version
    of it, extensively modified from existing sources). It's the
    default USB driver in RPi OS (for the Pi Zero at least), whereas on
    distros based on the official Linux kernel the dwc2 driver is used
    instead (also optionally usable in RPi OS).

The dwc-otg driver has extra performance (uses FIQ interrupts) and functionality (USB On-The-Go) improvements.

Then besides the binary blobs for the GPU, WiFi, and Bluetooth,
    there are likely other differences, but I haven't gone looking for
    them specifically.

--
    __ __
    #_ < |\| |< _#
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Theo@3:770/3 to Ralph Spitzner on Tue Aug 17 15:59:52 2021
    Theo wrote on 8/16/21 12:57 AM:
    [...]
    I don't know specifically the state of mainline support for the RPi, but in general changes to the Linux kernel are developed out-of-tree, in a separate
    repo, and then patches are submitted for merging into mainline. That means mainline always lags the development tree. The github.com/raspberrypi/linux
    tree is the repo where the RPi folks develop their kernel, and any patches may only be submitted to mainline later on. So the RPi tree is likely to be
    more up to date.

the commits ahead/behind mostly tell different....

I meant that it's ahead for RPi stuff. It's behind for things
    which aren't relevant to the Pi. Periodically they will merge or rebase to upstream, perhaps when Linus makes releases. For example there's a
    rpi-5.14.y branch which is full of Pi related things, and was last synced
    with upstream Linux 5.14-rc5 on 8 August.

In particular it's notable that the first few commits after 5.14-rc5 are the RPi folks reverting things that don't work for them. So they are basing
    their tree on mainline but adapting it to their setup. I had to go back through 16 pages of github commits before I found the 8 August merge, so there's a lot of stuff being changed in their tree.

Theo
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ralph Spitzner@3:770/3 to Computer Nerd Kev on Tue Aug 17 20:57:10 2021
    Computer Nerd Kev wrote on 8/17/21 1:20 AM:
    [...]
    Unless something has changed recently (I doubt it), the dwc-otg USB
    driver is specific to the RPi kernel (or at least the RPi version
    of it, extensively modified from existing sources). It's the
    default USB driver in RPi OS (for the Pi Zero at least), whereas on
    distros based on the official Linux kernel the dwc2 driver is used
    instead (also optionally usable in RPi OS).

The dwc-otg driver has extra performance (uses FIQ interrupts) and functionality (USB On-The-Go) improvements.

ah, now that sheds some light :-)
    So there are probably more 'enhancements'/modifications....

thanks
    -rasp
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05