• Ejecting a network-mounted volume without using umount

From TimS@3:770/3 to All on Mon Feb 22 10:49:29 2021
    I have mounted a volume from my Mac on my Pi and it shows up nicely on the desktop. This is using the default OS. It seems to have used AFP for the
    mount.

Now, how do I unmount it? On the Mac, I'd do right-mouse on the volume and choose Eject - Simples! - but I don't see anything equivalent on the Pi.

--
    Tim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | Fido<>Usenet Gateway (3:770/3)
  • From Chris Green@3:770/3 to TimS on Mon Feb 22 11:19:32 2021
    TimS <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
    I have mounted a volume from my Mac on my Pi and it shows up nicely on the desktop. This is using the default OS. It seems to have used AFP for the mount.

Now, how do I unmount it? On the Mac, I'd do right-mouse on the volume and choose Eject - Simples! - but I don't see anything equivalent on the Pi.

I'm surprised, when I right click on mounted volume icons I'm offered
    'unmount volume'.

You can always do it from the command line:-

umount /dev/xxx

or even just 'eject' at the command line.

--
    Chris Green
    ยท

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Jackson@3:770/3 to Chris Green on Mon Feb 22 13:34:17 2021
    On 2021-02-22, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
    I have mounted a volume from my Mac on my Pi and it shows up nicely on the >> desktop. This is using the default OS. It seems to have used AFP for the
    mount.

Now, how do I unmount it? On the Mac, I'd do right-mouse on the volume and >> choose Eject - Simples! - but I don't see anything equivalent on the Pi.

I'm surprised, when I right click on mounted volume icons I'm offered 'unmount volume'.

umount /dev/xxx

afp uses FUSE - it's not based on devices.

I've used sshfs mounted files systems (sshfs use FUSE too) and you might
    try fusermount -u . You first need to know which local directory is used
    as the mount point, e.g. ~/mnt

fusermount -u ~/mnt

make sure no processes have anything open on the MAC.

Google also suggests using the afp_client command which has an unmount
    option.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TimS@3:770/3 to Chris Green on Mon Feb 22 14:32:22 2021
    On 22 Feb 2021 at 11:19:32 GMT, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

I have mounted a volume from my Mac on my Pi and it shows up nicely on the >> desktop. This is using the default OS. It seems to have used AFP for the
    mount.

Now, how do I unmount it? On the Mac, I'd do right-mouse on the volume and >> choose Eject - Simples! - but I don't see anything equivalent on the Pi.

I'm surprised, when I right click on mounted volume icons I'm offered 'unmount volume'.

That's where I would have expected to see it too. But no.

umount /dev/xxx

It seems to be mounted at:

/run/user/1000/gvfs/afp-volume:host=Third-Mini,volume=Mini-3%20External%20SSD

--
    Tim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05