• Hello out there...

From Ray Sbaitso@1:19/38 to All on Fri Nov 27 13:26:30 2020
    It's been quiet in here for a while so I thought I would throw a post out there and see if anyone is still around.

I've become a bit of a fan of Virtual Railfan and enjoy checking out several of the different cameras. I'm curious to see some of the locations this winter, depending on the weather.

Railroad activity in my area is extremely limited, so there isn't too much to see or do, but I enjoy watching things online, etc.

If anyone is out there give a shout about what you've been up to.

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
    * Origin: CIA AMIGA BBS - ciaamigabbs.dynu.net:6400 (1:19/38.0)
  • From Marc Lewis@1:396/45 to Ray Sbaitso on Tue Mar 2 20:19:15 2021
    Hello Ray.

<On 27Nov2020 13:26 Ray Sbaitso (1:19/38) wrote a message to All regarding Hello out there... >

It's been quiet in here for a while so I thought I would throw a
    post out there and see if anyone is still around.

After all these months I happened across your post in Railfan. You're right, the Echo has been absolutely dead with the exception of your post.

I've become a bit of a fan of Virtual Railfan and enjoy checking
    out several of the different cameras. I'm curious to see some of
    the locations this winter, depending on the weather.

It is basically the same for me.

Railroad activity in my area is extremely limited, so there isn't
    too much to see or do, but I enjoy watching things online, etc.

There is ZIP for activity here except for freight trains; passenger traffic bypasses us completely which is a bit odd. I'm in Huntsville Alabama, which as you may know, is a high-technology type town, particularly with the presence of the Redstone Arsenal, the space technology industry and the University of Alabama and more. Hopefully *someday* AmTrack will have a station here.

As far as watching, I very much enjoy a lot of the train stuff on YouTube, particularly a series involving the complete restoration of one of the U.P. Big Boys. What an absolute MONSTER of a steam locomotive. Sure wish I could see that in person!

Best regards,
    Marc

... Oxymoron: Synthetic natural gas
    --- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    * Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS-Huntsville,AL-bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)
  • From Ray Sbaitso@1:19/38 to Marc Lewis on Sun Mar 7 15:54:19 2021
    On Tuesday March 02, 2021, Marc Lewis said to Ray Sbaitso...

After all these months I happened across your post in Railfan. You're right, the Echo has been absolutely dead with the exception of your
    post.

I'm not the only one left!! :) Good to hear from you. Perhaps we can seed a bit of activity.

I've become a bit of a fan of Virtual Railfan and enjoy checking out
    several of the different cameras. I'm curious to see some of the
    locations this winter, depending on the weather.

It is basically the same for me.

I'm amazed at how mild the weather was on most of the cams that I watch. I was expecting a few decent snowfalls and really didn't see much of anything. Good news for the folks that live there of course.

As far as watching, I very much enjoy a lot of the train stuff on
    YouTube, particularly a series involving the complete restoration of
    one of the U.P. Big Boys. What an absolute MONSTER of a steam
    locomotive. Sure wish I could see that in person!

If you get a chance, check out a channel called Great Rail Restorations. It's a show produced by the BBC I believe. There are only 5 episodes but I have really enjoyed it. I think I have the U.P. Big Boy video on my list to watch, but I haven't seen it yet. Do you happen to know what the name of the channel is?

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
  • From Marc Lewis@1:396/45 to Ray Sbaitso on Tue Mar 9 19:54:42 2021
    Hello Ray.

<On 07Mar2021 15:54 Ray Sbaitso (1:19/38) wrote a message to Marc Lewis regarding RE: Hello out there... >

[snip]
    As far as watching, I very much enjoy a lot of the train stuff on
    YouTube, particularly a series involving the complete restoration of
    one of the U.P. Big Boys. What an absolute MONSTER of a steam
    locomotive. Sure wish I could see that in person!

If you get a chance, check out a channel called Great Rail
    Restorations. It's a show produced by the BBC I believe. There
    are only 5 episodes but I have really enjoyed it. I think I have
    the U.P. Big Boy video on my list to watch, but I haven't seen it
    yet. Do you happen to know what the name of the channel is?

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/IrWXwSNzbGQ

Best regards,
    Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
  • From Ray Sbaitso@1:19/38 to Marc Lewis on Fri Mar 12 21:48:28 2021
    On Tuesday March 09, 2021, Marc Lewis said to Ray Sbaitso...

Thanks very much. I've got it bookmarked to check it out. It's not the channel I thought it was. After I watch the one I was talking about I'll post it here if it's any good. I don't want to post anything without watching it first in case it's junk. ;)

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
  • From Marc Lewis@1:396/45 to Ray Sbaitso on Sun Mar 14 14:40:20 2021
    Hello Ray.

<On 12Mar2021 21:48 Ray Sbaitso (1:19/38) wrote a message to Marc Lewis regarding Re: Hello out there... >

Thanks very much. I've got it bookmarked to check it out. It's
    not the channel I thought it was. After I watch the one I was
    talking about I'll post it here if it's any good. I don't want to
    post anything without watching it first in case it's junk. ;)

Thanks, Ray. I'll look forward to seeing it. I was watching the video and the inside of the Big Boy's firebox is, IMO, big enough to make a small bedroom in. Enormous. One thing I wonder about is why, on the various runs of that monster, they're dragging along a diesel locomotive. Surely the Big Boy can supply the passenger cars with electricity. (??) There must be some logical reason for it...

Best regards,
    Marc

... Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.(Oscar Wilde)
    --- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
  • From Ray Sbaitso@1:19/38 to Marc Lewis on Sun Apr 11 10:13:55 2021
    On Sunday March 14, 2021, Marc Lewis said to Ray Sbaitso...

Thanks, Ray. I'll look forward to seeing it. I was watching the video and the inside of the Big Boy's firebox is, IMO, big enough to make a small bedroom in. Enormous. One thing I wonder about is why, on the various runs of that monster, they're dragging along a diesel
    locomotive. Surely the Big Boy can supply the passenger cars with electricity. (??) There must be some logical reason for it...

Ok, better late than never with the link. https://www.youtube.com/user/todengine/

It is not a professional quality production, but I enjoy seeing them working on the old trains and bringing them back to life. Let me know what you think of it.

The diesel locomotive is a good question. Maybe there is so kind of connection required that the Big Boy cannot supply? Other than that my only guess would be some kind of weird railroad regulation.

--- Zeus BBS 1.5