• Hording toilet paper?

From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to Lee Lofaso on Sun Mar 3 05:45:39 2024
    Lee Lofaso -> Bj”rn Felten skrev 2024-03-02 19:28:
    What is there to clean up? Oops. Forget I said that. Not all
    participants have graduated to using bidets.

That last comment has actually intrigued me for a long time. Whenever there is an emergency in the US, the first thing that they go for is toilet paper! Why? Why is it the most important thing, to be able to wipe your ass with paper? What about water and food? Or even batteries? Get your effin priorities straight FFS!

I use up about one or two toilet rolls per year; I clean my behind with water -- AKA a bidet -- but sometimes I have guests from countries like the US, so... Disgusting! Do you clean your dishes with paper too?

--
    Conning people is easy. You just need to overcome their intelligence. But convincing people they've been conned is much harder. You need to overcome their pride.

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to Bj?rn Felten on Sun Mar 3 10:22:11 2024
    Lee Lofaso -> Bj?rn Felten skrev 2024-03-02 19:28:
    What is there to clean up? Oops. Forget I said that. Not all participants have graduated to using bidets.

That last comment has actually intrigued me for a long time. Whenever there is an emergency in the US, the first thing that they go for is toilet paper! Why? Why is it the most important thing, to be able to wipe your ass with paper? What about water and food? Or even batteries? Get your effin priorities straight FFS!

They hoarded multiple things at the beginning of COVID. Toilet paper was a big deal because there apparently was a shortage. Baby formula (i.e. food) was another that experienced hoarding that was amplified by shortages. Locally, there were shortages of other commodities -- crackers, for example, were imported from Puerto Rico -- that didn't make the news.

Some foods, like milk, are perishable and cannot be hoarded for long. Toilet paper is not perishable.

Toilet paper actually makes some sense. If you live in a house with a family that was mostly out of the house during the day 5 days a week, and they are suddenly in the house all day during that time (because offices and schools were all closed) toilet paper is a commodity that will go up in demand in that particular house.

Food would, too, but if most members of the family packed their lunches at home and took them to work/school, presumably the food was accounted for as only the location of where they consumed lunch changed. Also bear in mind that, while grocery chains limited shopping hours (and small stores were forced to close), most restaurant chains were able to stay open by offering drive-thru, drive-up, and delivery services, making food more readily available.

$$
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to Mike Powell on Sun Mar 3 08:03:00 2024
    Mike Powell wrote to Bj?rn Felten <=-

Toilet paper actually makes some sense. If you live in a house with a family that was mostly out of the house during the day 5 days a week,
    and they are suddenly in the house all day during that time (because offices and schools were all closed) toilet paper is a commodity that
    will go up in demand in that particular house.

The supply-chain was the issue in early 2020. When you think about it,
    the need for home goods increased tremendously and corporate/office
    goods decreased by a similar amount.

When no one could get paper towels or toilet paper, my local grocery
    store started selling fan-fold paper towels that go into office
    bathroom paper towel dispensers, and corporate supply-branded single
    rolls of toilet paper - items that were sitting around because janitors
    weren't cleaning offices any more.

... Walk without rhythm and you won't attact the worm.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to Kurt Weiske on Tue Mar 5 10:49:08 2024

Sounds smart. Although the shelves were not as full as normal, I don't remember the stores here ever running completely out of toilet paper. They did run out of cleaning products like anti-bacterial wipes, though.

$$
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From LEE GREEN@1:102/401 to Mike Powell on Tue Mar 5 11:59:26 2024

Sounds smart. Although the shelves were not as full as normal, I don't remember the stores here ever running completely out of toilet paper. They did
    run out of cleaning products like anti-bacterial wipes, though.

You were lucky TP was scarce in Los Angeles, I had to buy some on Ebay
    at inflated prices.

$$
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
    * Origin: TECHWARE BBS - Since 1995 - www.techware2k.com/bbs (1:102/401)