• Racial Division

From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to All on Fri Dec 1 18:11:35 2023
    Google is at it again "for the holiday season!"

https://ibb.co/RB7VCMY

They're giving the impression that they're trying to help business owners who have black skin.

In reality: They're tricking people into thinking that they're helping black business owners, because racism doesn't "help" anyone.

It's not fair. Is this based on some flawed statistic about "black businesses being systemically hurt more than non-black businesses?"

Google should be sued by non-black business owners!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/04/30 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: JoesBBS.Com, Telnet:23 SSH:22 HTTP:80 (1:342/200)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Sat Dec 2 10:33:00 2023
    It's not fair. Is this based on some flawed statistic about "black businesses b
    ing systemically hurt more than non-black businesses?"

I would say that mom-and-pop retailers, in general, have been hurt more by
    the past several years than chain/big-box retailers. If black mom-and-pop businesses are in areas of a particular town that are more economically challenged, I would also find it likely that they have been hurting more because there is not as much money to go around in those areas.

Systemically? I don't think this is true unless it can somehow be proven
    that "the system" causes people to avoid their businesses on purpose. I
    don't avoid such businesses, although I might avoid the areas they are in if they are bad or off the beaten path (gas $$$).

* SLMR 2.1a * Only XT users know that January 1, 1980 was a Tuesday.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Mike Powell on Sat Dec 2 17:01:14 2023
    It's not fair. Is this based on some flawed statistic about "black busine >b
    ing systemically hurt more than non-black businesses?"

I would say that mom-and-pop retailers, in general, have been hurt more
    by the past several years than chain/big-box retailers. If black mom-and-pop businesses are in areas of a particular town that are more economically challenged, I would also find it likely that they have been hurting more because there is not as much money to go around in those areas.

I agree. The "people" at Google are smart enough to realize that too. But
    their desire to divide people by race is more important them than anything else in the world, for some reason.

They could put whatever message they want there, and it will be read by millions of people, and that's what they chose.

"Support local businesses" sounds a LOT better than "Support black businesses."

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Sun Dec 3 09:47:00 2023
    "Support local businesses" sounds a LOT better than "Support black businesses.

More google users are probably going to be made happy by the latter than triggered by it. I am fairly conservative and the fact that they advertise
    a way to support black businesses does not bother me. Unless I think they are businesses in my local area I probably won't click on it so I am probably
    not in their target audience, but I am sure a target audience exists.

* SLMR 2.1a * Tip: Never take a beer to a job interview.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:342/200 to Mike Powell on Sun Dec 3 15:22:52 2023
    "Support local businesses" sounds a LOT better than "Support black businesses.

More google users are probably going to be made happy by the latter than triggered by it. I am fairly conservative and the fact that they advertise a way to support black businesses does not bother me. Unless
    I think they are businesses in my local area I probably won't click on
    it so I am probably not in their target audience, but I am sure a target audience exists.

What you're saying sounds logical; people who use Google trust Google, so by doing what Google says ("racially discriminate against who you buy products from") they probably feel a sense of satisfacton ("I helped black people today.")

They finally removed the racial suggestion from their homepage, so now the only idiotic thing they have at the bottom of it is "Our third decade of climate action." (IOW: "We've been propagating the idea of Democrats taking of your money for 30 years.")