• Delphi

From Tim Schattkowsky@2:240/1120.29 to All on Tue Feb 15 22:37:43 2022
    Hello All,

anybody still using Delphi here?

Regards,
    Tim
    --- WinPoint 399.2
    * Origin: Original WinPoint Origin! (2:240/1120.29)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Tim Schattkowsky on Wed Feb 16 04:43:10 2022

On 2022 Feb 15 22:37:42, you wrote to All:

:lol: wdym "still"? :lol:

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
    ... Haven't you got any pleasant facts I can face?
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Tim Schattkowsky@2:240/1120.29 to mark lewis on Wed Feb 16 19:40:54 2022
    //Hello mark,//

on *16.02.22* at *9:43:10* You wrote in Area *PASCAL*
    to *Tim Schattkowsky* about *"Delphi"*.

While I know it's still there and actually IMHO still quite interesting, even mentioning Delphi in any industry or academia context is at least giving you raised eyebrows.

Regards,
    Tim
    --- WinPoint 399.3
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Tim Schattkowsky on Sat Feb 19 05:57:52 2022

On 2022 Feb 16 19:40:54, you wrote to me:

While I know it's still there and actually IMHO still quite interesting, even mentioning Delphi in any industry or academia context is at least giving you raised eyebrows.

imagine the looks that mentioning (actively using) freepascal will get you ;)

TBH, i only had delphi one time and it was a free version for something... i used it once and never again... i don't recall why... probably because i didn't understand GUI programming at that time... in any case, though, most of my coding was being done in TP/BP 6 and 7 for command line tools and a few BBS door things... then i found freepascal later on after my coding time had lessened... in today's world, i use freepascal and the lazarus editor... yes, even for text only command line apps... i even have one that thinks it is an "application" (using TApplication IIRC)... i'd have to go look at the code which i've not looked at in 5+ years ;)

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
    ... No one ever surrenders. Sometimes a truce is declared.
    ---
  • From Tim Schattkowsky@2:240/1120.29 to mark lewis on Fri Feb 25 20:53:52 2022
    //Hello mark,//

on *19.02.22* at *10:57:52* You wrote in Area *PASCAL*
    to *Tim Schattkowsky* about *"Delphi"*.

While I know it's still there and actually IMHO still quite interesting,
    even mentioning Delphi in any industry or academia context is at least
    giving you raised eyebrows.

imagine the looks that mentioning (actively using) freepascal will get
    you ;)

For sure. Any idea in what state that one actually is?

TBH, i only had delphi one time and it was a free version for
    something... i used it once and never again... i don't recall why... probably because i didn't understand GUI programming at that time... in any case, though, most of my coding was being done in TP/BP 6 and 7 for command line tools and a few BBS door things... then i found freepascal later on after my coding time had lessened... in today's world, i use freepascal and the lazarus editor... yes, even for text only command line apps... i even have one that thinks it is an "application" (using TApplication IIRC)... i'd have to go look at the code which i've not looked at in 5+ years ;)

I have done a lot of development and worked alot with most common programming languages (Assembler, C, C++, C#, Java, ECMAScript ...) on most common plattforms (C64, Amiga, DOS, OS/2, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, ...). Still, I have to say that when it comes to desktop or database application develpment, the productivity as well as the quality of the result from a user's perspective I see with Delphi is unrivaled. This holds even today, when developing mobile applications. However, I have rarely actually used Delphi (aside from reviving WP using Delphi 2007) simply because using Delphi today feels like betting on the wrong horse. However, it did so already 20 years ago and proved a good idea for many people I know so actually my confidence in Delphi is rising again today.

For clarification I have to add, that in the end there is not much difference in using C++, C#, Java or Delphi for an experienced programmer. However, the productivity comes often largely from the tools and frameworks at hand (what makes Python so attractive for certain applications). At this point, Delphi still for me provides the most comprehensive and shortest path to high quality graphical user interfaces that can be easiliy maintained and extended. Same hold for relational database support and many other field, where a still suprisingly rich portfolio of COTS exists that simplify the development of applications based on common standards a lot. Also, there are little other platforms that easiliy enable simple multi-platform develoment in reality.

Regards,
    Tim

--- WinPoint 400.3
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Tim Schattkowsky on Mon Feb 28 11:27:48 2022

On 2022 Feb 25 20:53:52, you wrote to me:

While I know it's still there and actually IMHO still quite
    interesting, even mentioning Delphi in any industry or academia
    context is at least giving you raised eyebrows.

imagine the looks that mentioning (actively using) freepascal will
    get you ;)

For sure. Any idea in what state that one actually is?

freepascal and the lazarus RAD environment are actively developed and new releases are available all the time...

)\/(ark

... Never eat more than you can lift. - Miss Piggy
    ---
  • From Dale Barnes@1:106/201 to Tim Schattkowsky on Tue Sep 6 17:17:15 2022
    Yes, Delphi 11.1

Hello All,

Regards,
    Tim
    --- WinPoint 399.2

--- InterEcho 1.21
    * Origin: Home Of InterMail/InterEcho (1:106/201)
  • From Dale Barnes@1:106/201 to Tim Schattkowsky on Tue Sep 6 17:20:05 2022
    applications based on common standards a lot. Also, there
    are little other platforms that easiliy enable simple
    multi-platform develoment in reality.

We still use Delphi (and others). Yes it is not the most popular but we have systems that have been working and updating for 20+ years with little effort.

May not be for everyone but it gets the job done when needed.

--- InterEcho 1.21
    * Origin: Home Of InterMail/InterEcho (1:106/201)
  • From Tim Schattkowsky@2:240/1120.29 to Dale Barnes on Tue Oct 4 14:14:44 2022
    //Hello Dale,//

on *06.09.22* at *17:20:05* You wrote in Area *PASCAL*
    to *Tim Schattkowsky* about *"Re: Delphi"*.

applications based on common standards a lot. Also, there are little other
    platforms that easiliy enable simple multi-platform develoment in reality.

We still use Delphi (and others). Yes it is not the most popular but we have systems that have been working and updating for 20+ years with
    little effort.

May not be for everyone but it gets the job done when needed.

Fully agree. Hope you are doing well?

Regards,
    Tim

--- WinPoint 412.0