• Riddle me this ...

From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to All on Mon Jan 31 20:30:27 2022
    Riddle me this batman ... So I was playing around with an old doorgame I was writing back in 1995. Wanted to add lightbar arrow keys to it. Well, DDPLUS doesn't have that option. So I went looking for a new doorkit. Found XDOOR ... nice kit, one issue, after I compile with TP7.0 I get a RTE 003.

If I hit RUN from within Turbo Pascal the door works FINE ... but once it compiles, it shits the bed with a RTE 003. I have no idea why. Any takers? Compiles and runs fine under DDPLUS and ANGEL for TP7.

... Idiocy is an inbred genetic trait of all politicians.

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
    * Origin: The Titantic BBS Telnet - ttb.rgbbs.info (1:129/305)
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to All on Mon Jan 31 21:25:41 2022
    If I hit RUN from within Turbo Pascal the door works FINE ... but once i compiles, it shits the bed with a RTE 003. I have no idea why. Any taker Compiles and runs fine under DDPLUS and ANGEL for TP7.

Update to this ... loaded DOSBOX and it ran just fine. Win10 32bit gives me the RTE003 on the exe with XDOOR kit. So, now I'm really puzzled where the erorr would be ... in the CRT unit or in the XDOOR source itself. I guess
    the XDOOR source since DDPLUS and ANGEL work fine.

... Who is General Failure and why's he reading my hard disk?

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to T.J. Mcmillen on Wed Feb 2 09:43:46 2022

On 2022 Jan 31 21:25:40, you wrote to All:

Update to this ... loaded DOSBOX and it ran just fine. Win10 32bit gives me the RTE003 on the exe with XDOOR kit.

Runtime Error 3 is "Path not found" so some directory or file is being looked for and failing to be found... XDOOR crashing with this problem indicates a code defect because XDOOR is not catching the error and handling it properly...

FWIW: i used to use an old TSR called iolog.exe to track things like this... i also used the mark and release tools so i could remove iolog from memory when i was finished with it... the following .bat snippets are 4DOS style...

eg:
    if exist %FDSEMA\useiolog.sem (
    REM take a snapshot current memory image
    mark
    REM make a semaphore so we know iolog is loaded
    REM for this BBS node
    rem>%FDSEMA\iolog%NODE.sem
    REM execute the iolog TSR tool
    iolog %RALOGS\raN%NODEio.log
    )

and some place later we had this to unload iolog when it was not needed any more...

if exist %FDSEMA\iolog%NODE.sem (
    REM reset memory to marked snapshot
    REM this unloads all TSRs loaded after the snapshot was taken
    release
    REM remove the semaphore indicating iolog is loaded
    del %FDSEMA\iolog%NODE.sem
    )

so when we wanted to use iolog, we would create the useiolog.sem file in the %FDSEMA directory and the .bat file would take care of loading and unloading it for us... when we did not need iolog any more, we just deleted the useiolog.sem file and we were done... this made it quite easy to use it in our BBS' controller .bat files so we could use or not iolog without having to stop the BBS... the existance of the semaphores was check at each recycle of the main loop in the .bat file...

then we looked in the (eg) raN10io.log file for all the IO actions that took place during our BBS' N10 execution time period... these files can grow quite large pretty quickly if one is not careful...

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
    ... Thy Corona come, thy Chili be Con, on Cuervo it is El Jefe.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to Mark Lewis on Wed Feb 2 17:01:25 2022
    Runtime Error 3 is "Path not found" so some directory or file is being loo for and failing to be found... XDOOR crashing with this problem indicates code defect because XDOOR is not catching the error and handling it proper

Yeah I figured that much already. Funny thing is, if I load DOSBOX and run it, it runs fine. Just under the Win10 DOS Prompt I get the RTE003.

... Limit Congressmen to 2 terms - 1 in Congress, 1 in Jail!

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to T.J. Mcmillen on Thu Feb 3 06:57:04 2022

On 2022 Feb 02 17:01:24, you wrote to me:

Runtime Error 3 is "Path not found" so some directory or file is
    being loo for and failing to be found... XDOOR crashing with this
    problem indicates code defect because XDOOR is not catching the error
    and handling it proper

Yeah I figured that much already. Funny thing is, if I load DOSBOX
    and run it, it runs fine. Just under the Win10 DOS Prompt I get the RTE003.

did you miss my rather large hint about using a tool like IOLOG to record all the files a program attempts to open and close so you can see exactly what the problem is in your case?

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
    ... Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear.
    ---
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to T.J. Mcmillen on Thu Feb 3 09:11:00 2022
    On 02 Feb 22 17:01:25, T.J. Mcmillen said the following to Mark Lewis:

Yeah I figured that much already. Funny thing is, if I load DOSBOX and ru it, it runs fine. Just under the Win10 DOS Prompt I get the RTE003.

Run FileMon or Process Explorer, set up a trace on the NTVDM process and look for problems.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (1:229/426)
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to Mark Lewis on Thu Feb 3 17:10:23 2022
    did you miss my rather large hint about using a tool like IOLOG to record the files a program attempts to open and close so you can see exactly what problem is in your case?

I saw it ... I was just too tired to do anything about it ... <G>

... Would you prefer cache or chkdsk for payment?

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to T.J. Mcmillen on Thu Feb 3 19:17:43 2022
    On 03 Feb 22 17:10:23, T.J. Mcmillen said the following to Mark Lewis:

did you miss my rather large hint about using a tool like IOLOG to record the files a program attempts to open and close so you can see exactly what problem is in your case?

I saw it ... I was just too tired to do anything about it ... <G>

Several years ago I worked for someone who was notorious for replying to my tech questions with "I dunno Nicky, did you Google it?"... with a likewise notorious shit-eating grin.

When he called me late at night one time for help fixing a system that was down, I asked him if he "Googled it"... with a shit-eating grin.

Apparently, the sarcasm interpretation was a one-way street.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I know... if you're eating shit and grinning, you've got far bigger problems than a file-access problem.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Shaun Buzza@1:229/110 to Nick Andre on Fri Feb 4 13:20:30 2022
    When he called me late at night one time for help fixing a system that
    was down, I asked him if he "Googled it"... with a shit-eating grin.

Apparently, the sarcasm interpretation was a one-way street.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I know... if you're eating shit and grinning, you've got far bigger problems than a file-access problem.

That does it! I'm never drinking coffee while reading your messages again!
    You owe me a new keyboard, by the way!

Excuse me, I gotta clean up this mess...there's coffee EVERYWHERE! X-D

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: PiBBS (1:229/110)
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to Nick Andre on Thu Feb 3 19:34:11 2022
    Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I know... if you're eating shit and grinning, you' got far bigger problems than a file-access problem.

Do you tho? Do you? <G>

... Hee, hee, eees beeg trouble for moose and squirrel...

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to T.J. Mcmillen on Fri Feb 4 20:47:33 2022
    On 03 Feb 22 19:34:11, T.J. Mcmillen said the following to Nick Andre:

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I know... if you're eating shit and grinning, you' got far bigger problems than a file-access problem.

Do you tho? Do you? <G>

I'm reminded of the time I introduced a lady friend to a "Dutch oven".

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Nick Andre on Sat Feb 5 07:09:16 2022

On 2022 Feb 04 20:47:32, you wrote to T.J. Mcmillen:

I'm reminded of the time I introduced a lady friend to a "Dutch oven".

ROTFL!! did she fall for "pull my finger", too? O:)

)\/(ark

... Calm denial in the face of a staggering stack of overwhelming facts.
    ---
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to All on Tue Feb 8 16:41:31 2022
    Update to this ... loaded DOSBOX and it ran just fine. Win10 32bit gives the RTE003 on the exe with XDOOR kit. So, now I'm really puzzled where th erorr would be ... in the CRT unit or in the XDOOR source itself. I guess the XDOOR source since DDPLUS and ANGEL work fine.

Fixed. In XDOOR.PAS in command.com it needed to add an extra \ to the path for reading the config file. For Win NTVDM cmd.exe it doesn't need that extra \ as it's added my cmd.exe. So that was the issue once it was compiled.

... Never mind the star - get those camels off the lawn!

--- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to T.J. Mcmillen on Tue Feb 8 18:10:44 2022
    On 08 Feb 22 16:41:31, T.J. Mcmillen said the following to All:

Fixed. In XDOOR.PAS in command.com it needed to add an extra \ to the path for reading the config file. For Win NTVDM cmd.exe it doesn't need that ex \ as it's added my cmd.exe. So that was the issue once it was compiled.

You're the super hacker tonight.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From T.J. Mcmillen@1:129/305 to Nick Andre on Tue Feb 8 21:33:42 2022

Fixed. In XDOOR.PAS in command.com it needed to add an extra \ to the pat for reading the config file. For Win NTVDM cmd.exe it doesn't need that e \ as it's added my cmd.exe. So that was the issue once it was compiled.

You're the super hacker tonight.

HAHAHAHHAH

... I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
    --- Renegade v1.30r1/Exp