• A47 Display Files..

From Al DeRosa@1:267/157 to All on Mon Nov 8 19:48:20 2021
    Question about the new A47 GV command.. Actually this is more about the dispfile command in MPL, is that too governed by the /cols 80 /end switches?? I have a file which is showing up in a larger column display and it is a 80 column file.. Anyone have any ideas??

Al

... If at first you don't succeed, blame your parents!
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/11/06 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (1:267/157)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Al DeRosa on Tue Nov 9 11:35:05 2021
    Question about the new A47 GV command.. Actually this is more about the dispfile command in MPL, is that too governed by the /cols 80 /end switches?? I have a file which is showing up in a larger column display and it is a 80 column file.. Anyone have any ideas??

The display file command in MPL is not related to the ANSI gallery/viewer commands. It just sends a file as is for the most part, so its more closely
    related to the "GD" menu command.

I am not sure I totally understand the problem here, but often times an ANSI editor will save a file that uses the 80th column without moving to the next line, meaning that it relies on the terminal automatically wrapping after the 80th character for the file to display right.

When you are displaying an 80 column file in a larger terminal size you just have to make sure it is saved correctly so that it properly moves to the next line after the 80th column. The easiest way to accomplish this is to actually use files that only use 79 columns, but its possible to use the 80th and still have it display properly in both 80 and larger column spaces.

Hopefully that didn't confuse you even more :)

... A PC a day keeps the Apple away!

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)
  • From Al DeRosa@1:267/157 to g00r00 on Tue Nov 9 19:27:08 2021
    On 09 Nov 2021, g00r00 said the following...

The display file command in MPL is not related to the ANSI gallery/viewer commands. It just sends a file as is for the most part, so its more closely related to the "GD" menu command.

Gotcha on this...

I am not sure I totally understand the problem here, but often times an ANSI editor will save a file that uses the 80th column without moving to the next line, meaning that it relies on the terminal automatically wrapping after the 80th character for the file to display right.

What is happening is in another post I alluded to an issue I am having with MRC the main file is not wrapping to 80 column like it did in A46 and before, I have gotten a mrcscrl.ini to use which works on a brand new install I did but doesn't work on my upgraded system. I am using netrunner as my term program, 80x24 screen as is the setup for Mystic.. When I try to run another MPL InterBBS oneliners, when I try to view the listing it doesn't work either, but I can add to it with no issues. I am just getting the feeling now that something did not upgrade properly. On the new install if I go into Config, and drop down into Themes/Prompts, if I choose option 4 display files, when I choose a file to display it asks 80 or 120 column, my upgraded system does not ask this, it goes straight to the screen..
    LOL Have I confused you yet?!!?! LOL It's just driving me nuts that I can't get this going properly. I upgraded via the docs using the install routines, then even did it manually replacing files, so I know all of the files have been replaced.

Thanks again for the response..
    Al

... Intelligence tests are biased toward the literate.
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (1:267/157)