• Default events

From Björn Wiberg@2:201/137 to g00r00 on Tue Aug 3 11:24:27 2021
    Hello g00r00!

I just noticed that some of the default events in A47 could use some small adjustments:

* The "Poll echomail" event should use "mis poll" instead of "fidopoll".

* The "Poll echomail" event should probably have at least "Semaphore: !mutil.bsy" to avoid colliding with other invocations of mutil, if any. Or perhaps, even better, "Semaphore: !(poll.bsy|mutil.bsy)" to also avoid colliding with any other polls of other events (e.g. the "Send outbound echomail" event).

* The "Send outbound echomail" should probably have "Semaphore: !(mutil.bsy|poll.bsy)" to avoid colliding with any other invocations of mutil and mis poll.

* The "Send Hatched Files" should probably have "Semaphore: filebone.out!mutil.bsy" to avoid colliding with any other invocations of mutil.

* The "Toss incoming echomail" probably does not need "|netmail.in" in Semaphore and Kill After. I couldn't find any references to netmail.in in neither mutil or mis, so perhaps it is safe to remove those?

* The "Weekly maintanence" event has a small typo in it; should probably be "Weekly maintenance". :)

And, some "closing thoughts":

* Ideally, all invocations of mis or mutil on Linux should have ./ at the beginning of their paths, as the events are executed with the Mystic base directory as the current working directory, and . is seldom in a user's PATH.

* The "Weekly maintanence" event should ideally have "Semaphore: !mutil.bsy"
    to avoid colliding with other invocations of mutil, if this were possible for Shell events, which it is not? That possibility would be nice to have. Although then one would have to think of what should be done if the semaphore exists -- should the event be skipped or postponed? On my system, I have added a check for this to the Shell line instead:
    if [ ! -e /home/bbs/mystic/semaphore/mutil.bsy ]; then ./mutil maint.ini; fi ...with the downside of having to specify the path to the semaphore.

Your thoughts on all this are welcome. :)

Best regards
    Bj”rn
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/31 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (2:201/137)