• "API" type access

From Andy Gorman@1:229/426.52 to All on Thu Apr 22 13:25:48 2021
    Hi all,

I was wondering if there was ways I could access things like
    user/message/file info through some sort of an API (like by creating MPL scripts or something) so I can access the information from the website I'm creating. Or, if there is a copy of the structures, I could read the data files by accessing it through an externally written tool.

I want to kind of do what Syncrhonet does when it comes to acccessing the BBS through the web. I am actively trying to work with one of my customers on a
    way for them to share information in a secondary format (hence the BBS route) for a project they need completed.

BTW - the genesis for this project has to do with the client's fondness and nostalgia of BBSes.

Thanks,
    Andy
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Pot O'Gold - bbs.thepotogold.net:4888 (1:229/426.52)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Andy Gorman on Fri Apr 23 10:56:27 2021
    I was wondering if there was ways I could access things like user/message/file info through some sort of an API (like by creating MPL scripts or something) so I can access the information from the website
    I'm creating. Or, if there is a copy of the structures, I could read
    the data files by accessing it through an externally written tool.

Yes you can do those things.

The structures are included in Mystic in the docs folder if you wanted to create a CGI-BIN or FastCGI type application. The message base format is JAM which is a standard and there are libraries that can read that data too. Mystic used to have a web interface back in the late 90s but I lost the source code. It used the CGI/FastCGI method.

I think some people have done some basic PHP and Python wrappers in the past although I don't know where to find those.

MPL and Mystic Python run from within Mystic only for now. I was planning on building out the web server scripting a bit but I haven't been working on much lately outside of small fixes and features, so I don't know if/when that will happen.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/04/20 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 | Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)
  • From Andy Gorman@1:229/426.52 to g00r00 on Sat Apr 24 15:11:10 2021
    On 23 Apr 2021, g00r00 said the following...
    Yes you can do those things.

The structures are included in Mystic in the docs folder if you wanted
    to create a CGI-BIN or FastCGI type application. The message base
    format is JAM which is a standard and there are libraries that can read that data too. Mystic used to have a web interface back in the late 90s but I lost the source code. It used the CGI/FastCGI method.

Thanks g00r00. I am going to write a small .Net Core API to integrate with the website I'm building and see how that goes.
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/04/20 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Pot O'Gold - bbs.thepotogold.net:4888 (1:229/426.52)