• 132x36 mode questions

From Doug Cooper@1:227/702 to All on Sat Nov 14 13:15:12 2020

This message may be for g00r00 unless others are playing with this feature and have figured it out. I have most of my login/logoff ANSI's made in 16:9 and they look awesome! Love the extra real-estate

Using the 132x36 now .. not sure the editor is working quite right yet, we'll see after I save.

Couple of questions:

1. I didn't see anything in the readme.txt regarding using this with menus. I'd love if Mystic could auto detect which terminal size was being used, and then display the appropriate menu (80x25 or 132x36). I know it can do this with ANSI files, but I want totally different light bar menus for each terminal format. This way I can use the available real-estate to spread out the
    clutered menus, and or add back in more expert functions I currently have hidden, without the menu's being cluttered.
    Probably a good example would be, having 1 game menu with ALL games on it, when in 132x36, versus a few menus within doors
    for those in 80x25. Is this possible now? I may have overlooked this functionality within readme.txt.

2. I'm noticing the pause prompt still defaults to line 25, even if the 132 ansi is 35 lines in length, therefore pausing
    2/3rds down, but within the ANSI file, instead of below it. I'm using !g-pause at line 22 within the prompt editor, and
    g00r00's most current g-pause2.zip .. I've also tried Black Panthers animated pause mod just released, same issue. Neither,
    that I can tell, are coded to hard stop at 25 lines.

3. While most of the time I turn sauce off within Pablo draw, sometimes i forget, and save. I'll edit it out within notepad++.
    I can't seem to find out where to set the columns of notepad++ to 132 columns.
    Therefore, the .ans file gets saved as word wrapped. While this doesn't affect how the file is displayed within mystic, its a pain to fix within an ANSI editor later.

Thanks for any input, loving this new feature! I can see making some pretty kick butt ANSI's and menu's in 16:9!

-Doug

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/11/06 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Underground [@] theunderground.us:10023 <-port (1:227/702)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Doug Cooper on Mon Nov 16 12:17:27 2020
    1. I didn't see anything in the readme.txt regarding using this with menus. I'd love if Mystic could auto detect which terminal size was
    being used, and then display the appropriate menu (80x25 or 132x36). I

Mystic does auto detect terminal sizes, and the latest version does allow menus to be named the same as other display files and templates (for both randomly selected menus, and menus dynamically selected based on either columns, lines, or both)!

Download the latest and you should be good to go!

2. I'm noticing the pause prompt still defaults to line 25, even if the 132 ansi is 35 lines in length, therefore pausing
    2/3rds down, but within the ANSI file, instead of below it. I'm using

If you have a display file that is not saved at unlimited line length then you will have this issue, so that is my guess as to why you are seeing this. Lines are counted by linefeeds saved in the actual file, so if you don't save the ANSI with unlimited line length (ie ANSImation, etc) then it will not accurately pause during display.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/11/06 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 | Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)
  • From Black Panther@1:317/3 to g00r00 on Mon Nov 16 15:13:48 2020
    On 16 Nov 2020, 12:17p, g00r00 said the following...

If you have a display file that is not saved at unlimited line length
    then youwill have this issue, so that is my guess as to why you are
    seeing this. Linesare counted by linefeeds saved in the actual file, so if you don't save theANSI with unlimited line length (ie ANSImation,
    etc) then it will notaccurately pause during display.

Can the pause prompt still be changed with the <pipe>RP## control code? That might be an option.

I really haven't done much with the 16:9 mode yet...

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    aka Dan Richter
    Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    http://github.com/DRPanther
    The sparrows are flying again...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/11/06 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (1:317/3)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Black Panther on Mon Nov 16 17:27:46 2020
    If you have a display file that is not saved at unlimited line
    length
    then youwill have this issue, so that is my guess as to why you are seeing this. Linesare counted by linefeeds saved in the actual
    file,
    if you don't save theANSI with unlimited line length (ie ANSImation, etc) then it will notaccurately pause during display.

Can the pause prompt still be changed with the <pipe>RP## control code? That might be an option.

You can do that but I don't think it would fix anything. If you want the screen to pause in a scrolling ANSI it just needs to be saved with unlimited line length (0 in Mystic's ANSI editor) so each line in the actual ANSI file is one line as displayed. If the cursor is moving around via location codes or auto wrapping, then the line count won't be accurate.

I could probably improve on this in the future, its just worked this way for 20+ years.

I think most people turn pausing off for scrolling ANSIs and/or use baud rate emulation and in the few cases where the pause is desired it just has to be saved a certain way.

I'll make a note of it in the TODO to look at changing the logic.

• From Doug Cooper@1:227/702 to g00r00 on Mon Nov 16 23:00:50 2020

Mystic does auto detect terminal sizes, and the latest version does
    allow menus to be named the same as other display files and templates
    (for both randomly selected menus, and menus dynamically selected based
    on either columns, lines, or both)!

I am on the latest version I believe, 11.6.20 Pre Alpha. I'm doing a separate theme for it anyway as it's too much fun. BUT didn't know the menu's could be named doors.c132 ? That would have been slick to know :) I didn't see that in the readme.txt but likely missed it.

Now .. with the latest version, I noticed the marque does not allow an Y coordinate past 60, any chance that could be added to the next release? Every time it's inputted at a number higher, it resets to 60. I have a split menu on one of my menus where I'd
    like the marque to begin at the far right of the screen and stop about half way through .. Even dual marque's would be a sweet feature. And if it exists and is in the whatsnew.txt, I'll kick myself, I promise :)

Download the latest and you should be good to go!
    If you have a display file that is not saved at unlimited line length
    then you will have this issue, so that is my guess as to why you are seeing this. Lines are counted by linefeeds saved in the actual file,
    so if you don't save the ANSI with unlimited line length (ie ANSImation, etc) then it will not accurately pause during display.

Well, other then making sure my 132 column x 36 line ansi doesn't word wrap, I draw them at 131 (if not 130) x 35 (if not 34).
    At the moment I put a pipe code PN at the end of the ones that do this. I do notice that after unpausing the screen, it jumps down a few more lines and gives the y/n/c pause. However, I think, the file is too big for tdraw to deal with (which normally corrects those type of issues ..) Anyone know how to do this in Pablo draw or Moebius?

Thanks g00r00, these ANSi features are a great enhancement.

-Doug

• From Doug Cooper@1:227/702 to g00r00 on Mon Nov 16 23:05:15 2020
    You can do that but I don't think it would fix anything. If you want
    the screen to pause in a scrolling ANSI it just needs to be saved with unlimited line length (0 in Mystic's ANSI editor) so each line in the actual ANSI file is one line as displayed. If the cursor is moving
    around via location codes or auto wrapping, then the line count won't be accurate.

I thought you had mentioned not to use the Ansi Editor for a while until you had it dialed in. Maybe you had done so on the 11.6 update and/or saving length at 0 would be ok to do .. I'll give it a shot for sure, thats normally how I fix these issues.

I could probably improve on this in the future, its just worked this way for 20+ years.
    I think most people turn pausing off for scrolling ANSIs and/or use baud rate emulation and in the few cases where the pause is desired it just
    has to be saved a certain way.

Yes setting a pipe code PO at the beginning normally fixes the issue also, but did not in this case.

I'll make a note of it in the TODO to look at changing the logic.

That would be awesome to see as well.

-tG

• From g00r00@1:129/215 to Doug Cooper on Tue Nov 17 11:51:08 2020
    separate theme for it anyway as it's too much fun. BUT didn't know the menu's could be named doors.c132 ? That would have been slick to know
    :) I didn't see that in the readme.txt but likely missed it.

Its in the whatsnew you just aren't on the latest version :)

Now .. with the latest version, I noticed the marque does not allow an Y coordinate past 60, any chance that could be added to the next release? Every time it's inputted at a number higher, it resets to 60. I have a like the marque to begin at the far right of the screen and stop about half way through .. Even dual marque's would be a sweet feature. And

Y is the number of lines, and that is limited to 60 columns. No BBS terminals to my knowledge (at least NetRunner and SyncTerm) support more than 60 lines. It sounds like you want to do columns though based on your description. You can set the X position which is the columns (going left to right) past 60.