• Possible bug

From Chad Adams@1:19/37 to All on Fri Sep 25 23:03:13 2020
    G00r00,

I found two possible bugs in 47.

One I have added a bunch of new message bases. I tried global adding one
    export and it crashed to cl each time. No particular reason I could see. I
    was able to manually add each.

2nd: the netmail origin line doesn’t contain the node number. This caused
    an issue with sbbs systems. I worked with rob and he changed something in sbbsecho. Not sure if that was left out intentionally or by accident.

Thanks! Great work by the way!

-Nugax

--
    yrNews Usenet Reader for iOS
    http://appstore.com/yrNewsUsenetReader

--- Mystic BBS/NNTP v1.12 A47 2020/09/12 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The ByteXchange BBS | bbs.thebytexchange.com (1:19/37)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Chad Adams on Sat Sep 26 09:04:04 2020
    One I have added a bunch of new message bases. I tried global adding one export and it crashed to cl each time. No particular reason I could see.
    I was able to manually add each.

Thanks for letting me know. I did just try it here and seems to be working
    for me, so there must be another piece of the puzzle.

2nd: the netmail origin line doesn’t contain the node number. This caused an issue with sbbs systems. I worked with rob and he changed something in sbbsecho. Not sure if that was left out intentionally or by accident.

Is the base type set to Echomail? Do you have a QWK network assigned to it?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/09/25 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 | Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)
  • From Chad Adams@1:19/37 to g00r00 on Sat Sep 26 20:24:54 2020
    2nd: the netmail origin line doesn’t contain the node number. This caused an issue with sbbs systems. I worked with rob and he changed something in sbbsecho. Not sure if that was left out intentionally
    or
    accident.

Is the base type set to Echomail? Do you have a QWK network assigned to it?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/09/25 (Windows/64)

g00r00,

This was a netmail, in a netmail echo. All echomail echos add the node to origin, netmails do not. I'll send you a netmail to try it to your fidonet address.

Sincerely,
    -Nugax
    --=TheByteXchange BBS=--

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/09/12 (Linux/64)
  • From Nicholas Boel@1:154/10 to Chad Adams on Sat Sep 26 20:39:22 2020
    Hello Chad,

On Fri Sep 25 2020 23:03:12, Chad Adams wrote to All:

2nd: the netmail origin line doesn’t contain the node number. This caused an issue with sbbs systems. I worked with rob and he changed something in sbbsecho. Not sure if that was left out intentionally or
    by accident.

If I remember right, netmail shouldn't require, need, or want an origin line.

Regards,
    Nick

... "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway."
    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20181215
    * Origin: thePharcyde_ distribution system (Wisconsin) (1:154/10)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Chad Adams on Sun Sep 27 12:59:47 2020
    This was a netmail, in a netmail echo. All echomail echos add the node to origin, netmails do not. I'll send you a netmail to try it to your
    fidonet address.

Ahh okay I missed the part where it was a netmail, that is helpful.

This happens when you have no network address set for the Netmail base in A46+,
    but I've just changed it to properly add the address for all netmail bases (regardless of if an address is set or not) in the A47 prealpha which is available now.

Thanks for letting me know.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/09/27 (Windows/64)
  • From Chad Adams@1:19/37 to All on Sun Sep 27 15:07:17 2020
    Anytime man. I enjoy helping grow mystic.

On 07:59 27/09 , g00r00 wrote:
    This was a netmail, in a netmail echo. All echomail echos add the node
    to
    origin, netmails do not. I'll send you a netmail to try it to your fidonet address.

This happens when you have no network address set for the Netmail base in A46+,
    but I've just changed it to properly add the address for all netmail bases >(regardless of if an address is set or not) in the A47 prealpha which is >available now.

--

• From Michael Pierce@1:340/201 to g00r00 on Sun Sep 27 20:36:37 2020

Hello g00r00!

This happens when you have no network address set for the Netmail base
    in A46+, but I've just changed it to properly add the address for all netmail bases (regardless of if an address is set or not) in the A47 prealpha which is available now.

sorry a little late to party but this bug but, this bug is also in the rpi build. any time frame for when A47 will be available for rpi??

also this seems to be affecting pass-through mail as well. ie mail from points is looping from point to hub... it seems to be using 1:1/0 for a node address again. or at least thats how sbbs is reporting it.

so the fix would be to seperate out each netmail area ?

Michael

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: Mike's Mansion - Portland, OR - mansion.dynv6.net:2323 (1:340/201)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Michael Pierce on Mon Sep 28 11:40:38 2020
    also this seems to be affecting pass-through mail as well. ie mail from points is looping from point to hub... it seems to be using 1:1/0 for a node address again. or at least thats how sbbs is reporting it.

This is an origin line display issue, the addressing in the packet headers/kludges are not affected by this. What you're describing there sounds like an SBBS issue or something that different than this.

The good news is that you can fix this on your own!

The address not on the origin line happens when you have your Netmail base assigned to Local network. Go into your NETMAIL base configuration and change the address from Local 0:0/0 to any other network address and it should fix it.

In A46 it was changed to not display the address on the origin if you have the base address set to Local. The change I have made to A47 was to revert back to
    how it worked before A46 (where the address is still present even when its set to Local).

• From Chad Adams@1:19/37 to All on Mon Sep 28 17:51:42 2020
    Got it. Thanks man.

On 06:40 28/09 , g00r00 wrote:

This is an origin line display issue, the addressing in the packet >headers/kludges are not affected by this. What you're describing there sounds
    like an SBBS issue or something that different than this.

The good news is that you can fix this on your own!

The address not on the origin line happens when you have your Netmail base >assigned to Local network. Go into your NETMAIL base configuration and change
    the address from Local 0:0/0 to any other network address and it should fix it.

In A46 it was changed to not display the address on the origin if you have the
    base address set to Local. The change I have made to A47 was to revert back to
    how it worked before A46 (where the address is still present even when its set
    to Local).

--

• From Michael Pierce@2:250/1 to g00r00 on Mon Sep 28 15:00:24 2020

This is an origin line display issue, the addressing in the packet headers/kludges are not affected by this. What you're describing
    there sounds like an SBBS issue or something that different than this.

ok, so maybe this is not the same bug.. remember back when Rick's (nitro) and I's points were having routing problems on the pi's ?? well looks like something in A46 pi version is borked..

On Rick's system, when trys to send netmail from point (1:340/202.1) to even his node (1:340/202) it bounces back and fourth between both addresses, never making to its destination but keeps showing up as a new message in his point

now for kicker.. even from node to node ie from 1:340/202 (mystic) to 1:340/203 (sbbs) both latest any mail that is not direct gets an invalid node address assigned to it (1:1/0) - this is very reminisent of the sort of issues that were going on before

The address not on the origin line happens when you have your Netmail
    base assigned to Local network. Go into your NETMAIL base
    configuration and change the address from Local 0:0/0 to any other
    network address and it should fix it.

would this affect mail that is essentially pass-through ??

Michael

* Origin: Mike's Mansion - Portland, OR - mansion.dynv6.net:2323
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Michael Pierce on Mon Sep 28 21:42:48 2020
    now for kicker.. even from node to node ie from 1:340/202 (mystic) to 1:340/203 (sbbs) both latest any mail that is not direct gets an invalid node address assigned to it (1:1/0) - this is very reminisent of the
    sort of issues that were going on before

The default address (1:1/0) sounds like it could be related to the thing we're talking about here so its probably a good idea to get that resolved. If SBBS gets an address from the origin line, then it'd probably end up with some reasonable default like 1:1/0 if no address was there.

As far as the rest there are some many things that could be wrong there, including if someone is using old versions or has an ill-configured netmail route (also could be a bug too). Not sure where to begin so I think making sure the address is on the origin line is a good start.

I personally host a point system on SCINET, and they are able to send netmails throughout when we tested it. Netsurge confirmed all of the addressing in the netmails produced from Mystic match the same when they are generated by HPT (the Husky tosser) too. This was several months ago though.

• From Michael Pierce@2:250/1 to g00r00 on Mon Sep 28 21:18:16 2020

The default address (1:1/0) sounds like it could be related to the
    thing we're talking about here so its probably a good idea to get that resolved. If SBBS gets an address from the origin line, then it'd probably end up with some reasonable default like 1:1/0 if no address
    was there.
    any idea on when A47 for RPI will be available the setup was working in previons versions ..

As far as the rest there are some many things that could be wrong
    there, including if someone is using old versions or has an
    ill-configured netmail route (also could be a bug too). Not sure
    where to begin so I think making sure the address is on the origin
    line is a good start.
    will tell him to try that - and report back

I personally host a point system on SCINET, and they are able to send netmails throughout when we tested it. Netsurge confirmed all of the addressing in the netmails produced from Mystic match the same when
    they are generated by HPT (the Husky tosser) too. This was several
    months ago though.

could/would you update to the latest A46 on that RPI see if it still
    works for you. ???

yes when we brought the issue to you and Rob S.
    This only seems to happen on the RPI version..

I am back to running on my desktop - my setup is different - linux64
    - I do have my netmail areas seperated and my build works - I can only relay the info

Michael

* Origin: Mike's Mansion - Portland, OR - mansion.dynv6.net:2323
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Michael Pierce on Tue Sep 29 10:33:57 2020
    The default address (1:1/0) sounds like it could be related to the thing we're talking about here so its probably a good idea to get
    tha
    resolved. If SBBS gets an address from the origin line, then it'd probably end up with some reasonable default like 1:1/0 if no
    address
    was there.

any idea on when A47 for RPI will be available the setup was working in previons versions ..

Just to reiterate in case there is confusion: They won't need A47 (just the final A46 release) but they have to assign an address that isn't 0:0/0 Local to
    the Netmail base for this to resolve itself.

I don't know when A47 will be done I don't even have a specific set of features
    I want to work on for this version at the moment! But if there is a signficant
    bug that requires updates, I will release prealpha builds for all OSes including Pi.

could/would you update to the latest A46 on that RPI see if it still
    works for you. ???

I'll ask if they run on a Pi, I think they run on Linux not a Pi. There
    isn't any Pi specific code in the tossing though so in theory it should be
    the same as on any other Linux.

If it comes down to it I will set up a Pi point myself but lets get their Netmail area set up correctly first to see if that helps.

We'll get it sorted out :)

• From Rick Smith@1:340/202.1 to g00r00 on Tue Sep 29 07:12:28 2020
    Greetings g00r00!

Monday September 28 2020 21:42, you wrote to Michael Pierce about an urgent matter!:

The default address (1:1/0) sounds like it could be related to the
    thing we're talking about here so its probably a good idea to get that resolved. If SBBS gets an address from the origin line, then it'd probably end up with some reasonable default like 1:1/0 if no address
    was there.

Ok I returned the netmail to separate areas ie each network has a set node addy
    in netmail area (it used to work all as one) Mystic bbs for some reason cant seem to properly deliver netmail. If I send netmail from mystic to say 1:340/201 it ends up at my point at a completely different addy. If I send netmail from my point through mystic routed it never gets to the recipient and loops back to the point everytime I poll mystic with the point.

If I send direct netmail from point, the recipient receives it, but remains looping to the point at every poll.

I have poured over the configs on all sides even though none of them have been changed on either side just to be thorough. The only change has been upgrading
    to 46 release of mystic for pi.

I personally host a point system on SCINET, and they are able to send netmails throughout when we tested it. Netsurge confirmed all of the addressing in the netmails produced from Mystic match the same when
    they are generated by HPT (the Husky tosser) too. This was several
    months ago though.

Echo mail works for all networks, only netmail has been affected. Let me know if I can provide any other information...

----
    Regards,

Rick Smith (Nitro)

... Hacker? Where do you think the name comes from BBSing
    * Origin: ----> Abacus Sysop Point --->>>>bbs.abon.us:2323 (1:340/202.1)
  • From g00r00@1:129/215 to Rick Smith on Tue Sep 29 16:34:00 2020
    Ok I returned the netmail to separate areas ie each network has a set
    node addy in netmail area (it used to work all as one) Mystic bbs for

There may still be some confusion here. The instructions I was giving were to solve the missing address on the origin line. There was not talk about trying to create multiple Netmail bases per network (?) so you lost me there! :)

The issue with the missing addressing on the origin line is because those people have their Netmail base address set as follows:

"Net Address: 0:0/0 (Local Network)"

That is why the addressing was not on the Origin line, because its set local. I've updated A47 to include the address.

I personally host a point system on SCINET, and they are able to
    send
    netmails throughout when we tested it. Netsurge confirmed all of
    the
    addressing in the netmails produced from Mystic match the same when they are generated by HPT (the Husky tosser) too. This was several

Echo mail works for all networks, only netmail has been affected. Let
    me know if I can provide any other information...

Yes, I am speaking of Netmail here too. I believe there are also two FTN networks that are hubbed entirely by Mystic on a Pi and I haven't heard anything from them (yet). It could be unnoticed or that they haven't upgraded though.

What does the output of "fidopoll route" look like on both the systems you have?

We weren't able to find an issue with this over SciNet like I said, but we only
    tested Windows and Linux not Linux on a Pi (although that really shouldn't matter).

• From Chad Adams@1:19/37 to All on Tue Sep 29 22:37:37 2020
    I hub CyberNet in Mystic and also hub a Fidonet server in Mystic.

On 11:34 29/09 , g00r00 wrote:
    Ok I returned the netmail to separate areas ie each network has a set node addy in netmail area (it used to work all as one) Mystic bbs for

There may still be some confusion here. The instructions I was giving were to
    solve the missing address on the origin line. There was not talk about trying
    to create multiple Netmail bases per network (?) so you lost me there! :)

The issue with the missing addressing on the origin line is because those >people have their Netmail base address set as follows:

"Net Address: 0:0/0 (Local Network)"

That is why the addressing was not on the Origin line, because its set local. >I've updated A47 to include the address.

I personally host a point system on SCINET, and they are able to
    send
    netmails throughout when we tested it. Netsurge confirmed all of
    the
    addressing in the netmails produced from Mystic match the same when they are generated by HPT (the Husky tosser) too. This was several

Echo mail works for all networks, only netmail has been affected. Let
    me know if I can provide any other information...

Yes, I am speaking of Netmail here too. I believe there are also two FTN >networks that are hubbed entirely by Mystic on a Pi and I haven't heard >anything from them (yet). It could be unnoticed or that they haven't upgraded
    though.

What does the output of "fidopoll route" look like on both the systems you >have?

We weren't able to find an issue with this over SciNet like I said, but we only
    tested Windows and Linux not Linux on a Pi (although that really shouldn't >matter).

--

• From Rick Smith@1:340/202.1 to g00r00 on Tue Sep 29 23:29:30 2020
    Greetings g00r00!

Answering a msg of <Tuesday September 29 2020>, from you to me, about Re: Possible bug:

Ok I mis-spoke I used to have it as you said, all 5 of my networks netmail in one as 0:0/0 and it worked completely
    as I would expect it to.. So now per your suggestions I now have each of the networks with their own netmail area
    with their respective net addy in the each of them.. So my netmail area for fido now has 1:340/202. I am not sure
    what the origin line complaint is, I have not noticed that unless that is causing what is happening to my system..

I am still trying to conduct routed tests, unfortunately my NC has been down a lot. My routing was messed up a bit and routing to my point. The really weird thing is I have not changed it and it has been working all along like that. I have now changed it so that it is correct. I will add to this when I can successfully test routed netmail.

Thanks for you help.

----
    Regards,

Rick Smith (Nitro)

... Help save BBSing - Ask your host for INTBBS_WK today!
    * Origin: ----> Abacus Sysop Point --->>>>bbs.abon.us:2323 (1:340/202.1)
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to g00r00 on Wed Sep 30 20:13:00 2020
    On 09-29-20 16:34, g00r00 wrote to Rick Smith <=-

Yes, I am speaking of Netmail here too. I believe there are also two
    FTN networks that are hubbed entirely by Mystic on a Pi and I haven't heard anything from them (yet). It could be unnoticed or that they haven't upgraded though.

I'm one, but haven't got around to upgrading to A46 yet.

... Klingon bastard killed my son, doo-dah, doo-dah. 
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)