• User parties (was: Re: Work and life)

From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Sat Dec 4 07:17:46 2021
    CP wrote --

I joined a lunch get together I organised for a local BBS, that had no photos online; I only knew each memnber by their conversations withme & others.

At one time a couple of BBS' here had user parties from time to time.
    I went to only one (since the others were out of my time frames) and met several people I only knew online.
    One guy ran another board, mostly games, who eventually opened his own
    PC repair shop and did all my repair work. An employee of his started his
    own business then the first guy closed and still use him from time to time. Usually only as a last resort whe
    I always joke with him when leaving "Well, nothing personal, but I hope I don't see you again for a long time". :)
    Joe
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Sun Dec 5 15:20:58 2021
    At one time a couple of BBS' here had user parties from time to time.
    I went to only one (since the others were out of my time frames) and met several people I only knew online.

I only went to a couple & hosted one. One was grand fun -- we(20-30) met at a public park for a BBQ & Games day, which culminated in a giant water fight.

My team was winning, as I' had a reservoir strapped on the back of my wheelchair for filling water balloons & guns) but hen the other side took control of the outside sink/taps, & sent one of their members to Zellers to stock up on ginourmous Super Soakers (half gallon reservoir fires completely off in 2-3 seconds)

Wow! I never knew there were such monsters! Luckily they didn't want the ultimate one ($300 back in 1996!), as it was stroingher, held more water, & would HURT if hit by the stream!

I gained an early lead by having bought a pack of plain condoms, & letting rumours fly that I'd gone picking up condoms in Hooker Alley downtown. (I know, I know, but they were perfectly clean, brand new latex balloons, in actuality)

Psychology is always an important aspect of war/combat for a general to understand!

Overall, i'd say everyone won, unlike real wars! We were soaked, but happy, on a beautiful sunny July afternoon, as well as well0fed on BBQed burgers & dogs.

One guy ran another board, mostly games, who eventually opened his own
    PC repair shop and did all my repair work. An employee of his started his own business then the first guy closed and still use him from time to time. Usually only as a last resort whe
    I always joke with him when leaving "Well, nothing personal, but I hope I don't see you again for a long time". :)

I say the same to medical professionals!

We had a beautiful PC shop here a long time ago, where you could get anything you wanted to build a custom machine for he best prices in town. My fave find there was the HDD drawer, so I could pop both my C: & D: drives out, swapping them, at will (kept the online spies guessing, as their flags were gone when I returned an hour later, yet I had logged on both times with a highly secure password *LOL*)

That's all I wanted -- to sow a little nervous respect for everyone's privacy.

I'm thankful to have a system that works for me, up & running, regularly; God's been good in helping me do this. . .

No fancy game playing any more -- just a solid working system I can use for work & play. Now I'm just stuck getting my brand-new Logi cam to work :(

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
    Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.2)
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to George Pope on Sun Dec 5 18:46:00 2021
    George,

When I walk in, I do the Ray Stevens impression..."It's me again,
    Margaret" <old geezer laugh> <G>.

Daryl

... Virus Scan Done: No Virus Detected. ARGH!! I've Got The No Virus!!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:2320/33)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to Daryl Stout on Wed Dec 15 10:38:28 2021
    George,

When I walk in, I do the Ray Stevens impression..."It's me again, Margaret" <old geezer laugh> <G>.

I thought it was:

Pardon me, sir, did you see what happened?

Yeah, I did
    I's standin' over there by the tomaters
    And here he come
    Running through the pole beans
    Through the fruits and vegetables
    Nekkid as a jay bird
    And I hollered over t' Ethel
    I said, "Don't look, Ethel!"
    But it's too late
    She'd already been incensed.

Loved Ray Stevens wry bits of humour. . . :) (in song); ther other good one is Tom Lehrer

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
    Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.2)