• The ******* Beatles

From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to All on Tue Nov 30 13:58:31 2021
    Allan Sherman's "Dad Hates the Beatles"

https://youtu.be/Jj-2Tcuzy0I

Where were you in this Beatles vs parent equation, in 1964 & onwards?

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
    Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.2)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to GEORGE POPE on Wed Dec 1 16:26:00 2021

No. In this day and age, what the Beatles did back then seems so very tame
    in comparison. :)

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Arnold Layne, don't do it again!
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to Mike Powell on Fri Dec 3 11:23:18 2021

No. In this day and age, what the Beatles did back then seems so very tame in comparison. :)

I meant where were ou as in when in the era & where in the attutudes. . .

I knowe, eh? So hard to believe people made such a fuss over the Beatles, & Trumpeteers before them. (one guy's jazzy rock & roll had police involved & then rioting!); sorry, my memory won't pull it up, & neither does Google. . . :P

I considered the music mellow, mainstream, & as inoffensive as you get, but I guess just one or two trilling riffs is all it took to get certain parents all afluster!

Likely there was parental banning of innovations in classical, too, back then when it was new & current. . .

Even in the Bible, David was cxastigsated by some for being so into opsalmic songs that he danced with abandon ("like nobody's watching"--but someone was & she was quitre judgy; spoiler alert: God exonerated him for his unbridled enthusiasm & punished her for being sanctimonious)

I'm fine with lookikng out for what young people are exposed to, as it can lead to them losing their cuildhood/youth too early. . .

But adults should have carte blanche in listening, reading, & viewing choices!

If their choices lead to crimes beijng copmmitted to fulfil the demand, t hen they are abettingthosecrimes by buying, & that's a separate crime to be dealt with as a crime actually done.

Preferring harder rock or bluer comedy is not a crime in USA or Canada, per both Constitutions!

The ratings thing was never helpful in limiting exposure, as everyone(including children) started buying those marked R most!

My theory is the industries (film & music) wanted those ratings in lace, but were happy to make it seem as if the censors did it!

The more you forbid some thing the more it's desired.

-R & X & XXX rated films
    -trashy comic books (the ones castigated in the '70s are now standard)
    -anal sex (my theory is nobody wanted it until a woman said "the marriage bed may be sacred, but not 'there'" then everyone had to have at 'er.
    -the fruit in the Garden of Eden

Did I just compare anal sex with the Garden of Eden? Well, Sam Kinison started it!

Your friend,

Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to GEORGE POPE on Fri Dec 3 16:30:00 2021

I was not around yet. :)

I considered the music mellow, mainstream, & as inoffensive as you get, but I guess just one or two trilling riffs is all it took to get certain parents all
    afluster!

Maybe they didn't like the later, psychedelic stuff the Beatles did but my understanding is that they were up in arms about them long before then.

Likely there was parental banning of innovations in classical, too, back then when it was new & current. . .

I cannot remember his name now, but there was a very controversial
    violinist back in the day. I forget the story now, but he supposedly had
    women fainting in the aisles. This would have been sometime before 1900
    (maybe before 1800!).

I'm fine with lookikng out for what young people are exposed to, as it can lea
    to them losing their cuildhood/youth too early. . .

A lot of it can. I feel like today, most parents do little to keep them
    from being exposed.

The ratings thing was never helpful in limiting exposure, as everyone(includin
    children) started buying those marked R most!

My theory is the industries (film & music) wanted those ratings in lace, but were happy to make it seem as if the censors did it!

Yes, the explicit lyrics labels. I am certain they sold a few records.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Politically incorrect...and proud of it!!!
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Sat Dec 4 06:55:28 2021
    CP wrote --

I was a big Beatles fan.
    I went so far as to buy a Beatle wig, so I would have a Beatle haircut,
    till my hair grew out a bit.
    My mother and I moved to Colorado in 1964 (after the death of my father
    in 1962) and stayed a short while with her sister.
    My two years old than I cousin Eve was a Elvis fan. Her room was
    plastered with Elvis posters, stuffed Elvis's, etc.
    We had some lively discussions of Elvis vs The Beatles. I said the
    Beatles would still be around after Elvis was forgotten. :)
    When A Hard Days Night came out one had to have reserved seats in the theatre. I was one of only a handful guys in a theatre full of girls.
    They were crazy. Whenever one of them appeared on screen they started screaming and carrying on and worst when they were singing. It was some years later when it was on TV that I was able to hear the dialogue. :)
    Joe
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to Mike Powell on Sun Dec 5 14:32:36 2021

I was not around yet. :)

But how do you feel about the parental hysteria overt groups like the Beatles (new, innovative, different, challenging)

I considered the music mellow, mainstream, & as inoffensive as you get, but I guess just one or two trilling riffs is all it took to get certain parents all
    afluster!

Maybe they didn't like the later, psychedelic stuff the Beatles did but my understanding is that they were up in arms about them long before then.

Pretty much from day one, mostly because they all had long hair (Elvis, their hero, always had short/nbet hair, & no facial hair, so what was with the got tam Beatles? These people still say the Beatles began the erosion of American moral values upon arrival in 1964.

I say their OTT response is what started the 'erosion' if anything.

One older Catholic friend pointed out how if you look in TV Guide, at movie ratings, for movies made pre-1964, most are 3-5, but post-1064, they're 1-3.

I have spot-checked thatr on occasion, & it seems to hold up, but I don't feel this single datum is enough to state a position regarding causation.

Gotta have all pertinent facts, like how at5 one time they said that the birth control pill caused skin cancer because the majority of women taking the BCP develped skin cancer at a notably higher rate of incidence than the non-BCP using public.

Turned out that correlation does not equal causation; after a proper scientific(following the proper rules for such) study, it was determined that the type of woman who used the BCP were also the same type to sunbathe in bikinis more than the general, perhaps more priggish, population.

Now, I love exposed female skin muchly,but I don't love women geting cancer for the sake of my visual pleasure.

I'm likewise careful regarding who I potentially get pregnant (limited to only my wife now, but even in my oat-sowing years, I wasn't out relying on BCP takers to take care of matters)

violinist back in the day. I forget the story now, but he supposedly had women fainting in the aisles. This would have been sometime before 1900 (maybe before 1800!).

I think I've read something on that, too, but likewise don't recall. . .

So I checked with my buddy Gopgle & found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_classical_music_concerts_with_an_unruly_a udience_response

I'm not able to find the one you mentioned; nothing imvolving fainting in that list.

Try again. . .

A comment from a senior member on talkclassical.com said:

"Almost everything he did was unexpected -- and still is on first listen if you're deeply immersed in it. It's those passages where he leads you along and you think he's going to resolve a phrase on the tonic or root chord as most others composers of the time did, but then goes off on a completely surprising tangent. Combine that with the headbanging thrust, Thrust, THRUST of his sforzando passages and he must have had people fainting in the aisles."

I can see that -- any kind of jumngle beat got the hoity toity types upset, as it put them in mind of Negroes from the African jungles, & HORRORS, they're WILD, don't you know, & their tall, strong, muscular bodies lead previously perfectly holy women to have sexual feelings & thoughts, so obviously they have the Devil in them! /sarcasm

I'm fine with lookikng out for what young people are exposed to, as it can lea
    to them losing their cuildhood/youth too early. . .

A lot of it can. I feel like today, most parents do little to keep them from being exposed.

You know it! It was prertyu basic when I grew up in the '70s -- in my home, we knew what was good & what wasn't & watched/read/listened to the latter at our own risk of parental disciplinary peril.

As an adult, out of the house (I left home at 12, to begin my independence), I watched/reasd whatever I lked, but I was aware of the content & how it might affect me &/or others, so you'd never have seen me cranking up 2 Live Crew lyrics loud enough for a block of social housing with every house having a minimium of 2 children., as one teen girl resident did (the most vulgar lyrics: involving rape & physical abuse of women. She seemed to have no clue they were speaking of beating & raping HER. Or maybe that was the pleasure for her?)

I was into music most adults hated (speed metal), but you never heard such vulgarity in the lyrics or interviews! Yes the beat was very definitely sexual, but so what? One always has a choice whether to give in to thoughts & inclinations, whether music inducxed or not.

Yes, the explicit lyrics labels. I am certain they sold a few records.

& to the ones least able to handle them responsibly, usually ("ooo-wee, this one says **** & *****; I love it!")

I've had explicit comedy records & videos, but I'm above the visceral aspects. It's more "so what? they just used a different word choice than others."

I can translate any joke into a clean POR a filthy version quite easily, on the fly. . . :) & neither version is a different joke -- the humour, to me, is based on the setup & twist, not in the wording used; usually. A couple do rely on the sweet build up & the BA-BAM of a three year old blonde girl using the F- word inappropriately! But they could be dited to a lowe level (from PG-17 to PG-13 by anyone with a decent command of the English language); it all depends on your target audience, & your overall goals.

e.g. I love George Carlin, & I knowe he's rejected by many because he swears so9 much (look up "7 words you can't say on television" for the definitive example); I understand, now, that he WANTS thos types to avoid his performances. He's up there revealing truths to the hardworking downtrodden in a language most recognize & use daily, & he's trying to reserve any special insights to them only, not to the, largely rich old white, establishment whom he rejects, for the most part.

He plants parody ideas in opeople's gheads, like the one of the fat rich golfer on his private club's golf course, smoking a cuban cigar(banned to everyone else) as "fat white businessman sucking on a big brown d***")

That's an image that stays with you -- definitely part of his intent.

If the fat whte buysi9nessman cares about the label/imagery people have of him, he can change it; maybe sell off that gaudy expanse of mostly unused land, to build housing for those who need mnore affordable & available housing, espexcially the homeless, & maybe observe the same [former] Cuban embargo everyone else must, & chew cheap gum instead of sucking on a big brown phallic shaped item, causing air pollution for all to 'enjoy'. . .

Works for me, but I guess I'm a bit of a rebel, too, just not as funny, gfanous, or successful as the late George Carlins, whom I nominated for a posthumous Nobel Peace Prize, not realizug they don't do those.

Your friend,

Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Sun Dec 5 14:37:36 2021
    CP wrote --

I was a big Beatles fan.
    I went so far as to buy a Beatle wig, so I would have a Beatle haircut, till my hair grew out a bit.
    My mother and I moved to Colorado in 1964 (after the death of my father
    in 1962) and stayed a short while with her sister.
    My two years old than I cousin Eve was a Elvis fan. Her room was plastered with Elvis posters, stuffed Elvis's, etc.
    We had some lively discussions of Elvis vs The Beatles. I said the Beatles would still be around after Elvis was forgotten. :)
    When A Hard Days Night came out one had to have reserved seats in the theatre. I was one of only a handful guys in a theatre full of girls.
    They were crazy. Whenever one of them appeared on screen they started screaming and carrying on and worst when they were singing. It was some years later when it was on TV that I was able to hear the dialogue. :)

Io've heard it was exactly like that; I think I'd've only been a fan insofar as it got me in good with their female fans in my age group.

If that was your goal, you had it made in the shade, eh?

I don't imagine a lot of longterm relationships arising out of such an exlitation of fan delerium, which of course, greatly appeals to a certain type of male.

Oh well, some thing for everyone. I didn't really like their earlier stuff; more from later, when John got more deep & mellow.. .

Dream-chasing hippies from beginning to end, though, I'd say, until Yoko. . .

Your friend,

Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to Mike Powell on Sun Dec 5 15:55:59 2021
    violinist back in the day. I forget the story now, but he supposedly had women fainting in the aisles. This would have been sometime before 1900 (maybe before 1800!).

I went back looking, as I half remember him, too. . .

Found this sxiebntific idea on what causes the fainting at concerts:

from Washington Post:

Based on their observations, Bauer and Lempert discerned a "multifactorial pathophysiology of rock-concert syncope," a phenomenon certainly as old as Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley and the Beatles, but possibly long predating the advent of rock-and-roll, since the symptoms apparently have less to do with the musical genre than the state of the fans.

Fainting is a temporary loss of consciousness caused by insufficient oxygen in the brain, and can be brought on a by a variety of circumstances. In the case of the German fans, the researchers found at least five likely causes: "sleeplessness during the previous night," perhaps from the thrill of anticipation; "fasting from early in the morning, when they had first lined up," causing low blood sugar; "a long period of standing in the arena," which reduces cerebral blood flow by causing blood to pool in the legs; "hyperventilation, which leads to cerebral vasoconstriction" -- that is, heavy breathing that produces narrowing of blood vessels that supply the brain; and abnormal pressure within the chest "induced either by screaming or reflexively by external compression of the thorax by the pushing masses."

This latter condition resembles the effect of what is known as the Valsalva maneuver -- forcibly trying to exhale through a closed mouth and nose (such as in straining during a bowel movement). It traps blood in the larger veins, keeping it from entering the chest and heart and thus being pumped to the brain. This makes the victim more likely to faint.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1995/06/22/its-not-the-tune- that-makes-them-swoon/c5dc2d24-b062-4060-a399-b045a478898f/

Thought you might be intereste in how the phenomenon works; not sure all that would've been there in the pre modern rock eras. . . but I think we can agree, teen girls do tend to work themselves up into a tizzy easily. . .

Your friend,

Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Mon Dec 6 06:44:24 2021
    CP wrote --

Io've heard it was exactly like that; I think I'd've only been a fan insofar as it got me in good with their female fans in my age group.

Not really, I just liked their music and wanted to see their film.
    Around 2005/06, a movie was made here about the Marshall plane crash in
    1970 that wiped out the all but a handful of the football team.
    I watched some of the filming, not for the stars, but "the little people" behind the camera: Prop men, lighting crew, etc.
    At one point Matthew McConaughey, who was the star, was back in town for
    a football game. I was working security at a concourse gate when he passed behind me with a host of people around him.
    There were all these girls on my side of the fence who saw him and
    started going into hysterics yelling, crying, flush against the gate exclaiming things like "he looked at me!"
    I thought "What is this, the Beatles in 1964?" :)
    Joe
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to GEORGE POPE on Mon Dec 6 16:20:00 2021

Pretty much from day one, mostly because they all had long hair (Elvis, their hero, always had short/nbet hair, & no facial hair, so what was with the got tam Beatles? These people still say the Beatles began the erosion of American
    moral values upon arrival in 1964.

Except not everyone liked him, either. He shook his hips too much. :)

Turned out that correlation does not equal causation; after a proper scientific(following the proper rules for such) study, it was determined that the type of woman who used the BCP were also the same type to sunbathe in bikinis more than the general, perhaps more priggish, population.

I thought I knew where that was going, and I did. :)

"Almost everything he did was unexpected -- and still is on first listen if you're deeply immersed in it. It's those passages where he leads you along and
    you think he's going to resolve a phrase on the tonic or root chord as most others composers of the time did, but then goes off on a completely surprising
    tangent. Combine that with the headbanging thrust, Thrust, THRUST of his sforzando passages and he must have had people fainting in the aisles."

Did they give you a name? :)

* SLMR 2.1a * The girl of your dreams is unavailable except in print
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Wed Dec 15 10:53:43 2021
    CP wrote --

Not really, I just liked their music and wanted to see their film.
    Around 2005/06, a movie was made here about the Marshall plane crash in 1970 that wiped out the all but a handful of the football team.
    I watched some of the filming, not for the stars, but "the little people" behind the camera: Prop men, lighting crew, etc.
    At one point Matthew McConaughey, who was the star, was back in town for
    a football game. I was working security at a concourse gate when he passed behind me with a host of people around him.
    There were all these girls on my side of the fence who saw him and
    started going into hysterics yelling, crying, flush against the gate exclaiming things like "he looked at me!"
    I thought "What is this, the Beatles in 1964?" :)

The women do seem to go extra gaga over celebrities. . . I CBA. . .

Wgat did that ball player ever do for me? NOTHING! I considered liking hot actersses,. but realized as soon as I liked one, two more'd just replace her who were equally as worthy of my 'improper' interest.

Farrah Fawcett prolly went the longest (& Jaclyn Smith -- yup, I only liked Charlie's Angels for them); but all good things came to an end & I moved on when the series did. . .

Did like Babewatch for a while (local home girl Pamela Anderson starring)

But the story was noticeably missing, & just loking at tyhe sam,e old same old, bouncing across the sdand scenes got ho hum soon enough; that's when I outgrew caring who was on the tv. . .

Except for Helen Hunt in Mad About You, as she's an excellent method actor -- she fully & truly becomes the character, & expresses every microexpression the character would, & easy on the eyes never hurts either, but no more was that the pivotal basis for my interest.

Now, of course, every actress on every sitcom is young enough to be my kid!

Ick, no thanks. . .

I only saw one concert in person, late '80s, Lionel Ritchie, as my girlfriend got free tix as a babysitting bonus.

They were nosesbleed seats(band members were vertical ants), but no matter; I wasn't interested in Lionel Ritchie; liked people-watching more than anything, until everyone around us got too high. & became boring, & my GF was getting nauseated from the second hand pot smoke, so we left early.

No loss.

I was just confused why literally EVERYONE around us was smoking weed -- at a rock concert, I get it -- that's deemed part of the culture, but pop? Unless it was to try to make a boring show even slightly elevated?

Oh well; never been to another concert -- they seem too loud & boisterous for my tastes -- I prefer studio albums -- as there's just the music & singing.

Your friend,

Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to Mike Powell on Wed Dec 15 11:28:21 2021
    Pretty much from day one, mostly because they all had long hair (Elvis, their hero, always had short/nbet hair, & no facial hair, so what was with the got tam Beatles? These people still say the Beatles began the erosion of American
    moral values upon arrival in 1964.

Except not everyone liked him, either. He shook his hips too much. :)

True, buthose who hasted the Beatles seemed to love Elvis, because Elvis was a God-fearing patriot, I guess. They decried his hip swivel thing, of course, but could look past it as he was generally a good ol' boy from the South.

Me, t's all the mjsic & singing; Elvis take it there, IMO, over the Beatles. I liked some of John's later works both with & after the band, but most of their stuff was too simplistic for me. Not so I'd turn it off when it came on, but I don't go out of my way to listen to it either.

I thought I knew where that was going, and I did. :)

The non-causative correllation angle?

"Almost everything he did was unexpected -- and still is on first listen if you're deeply immersed in it. It's those passages where he leads you along and
    you think he's going to resolve a phrase on the tonic or root chord as most others composers of the time did, but then goes off on a completely surprising
    tangent. Combine that with the headbanging thrust, Thrust, THRUST of his sforzando passages and he must have had people fainting in the aisles."

Did they give you a name? :)

You likely guessed it?

Beethoven.

Your friend,

Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Thu Dec 16 06:48:30 2021
    CP wrote --

But the story was noticeably missing, & just loking at tyhe sam,e old same old

Happens to all film and tv shows.
    Something new comes along, its hot for a while, then fades away.
    Plus film and tv go in cycles.
    Some movie/tv show comes along and popular and shortly after carbon
    copies come along.
    Genre's come and go.
    On tv it starts with, say a medical show, maybe a law/lawyer show, cop/private eye, whatever and soon that's all that's on tv.
    Then after a few shows the stories are interchangeable, with only name changes.
    You know Dr X will perform some medical miracle, lawyer A finds his
    client innocent, cop B gets the bad guy, etc.

Now, of course, every actress on every sitcom is young enough to be my kid!

I don't have a tv and have no idea what's on tv now.
    At work sometimes people will discuss some current tv show and I have no
    idea what/who they are talking about.
    And I'm not missing anything in my life.
    I prefer the old shows from the '50s to the '70s I can get off the net.

I only saw one concert in person, late '80s, Lionel Ritchie

I've been to only one as well.
    A woman I knew was a big Prince fan in the mid-late '80s and had me drive
    to her a few hundred miles to see his show. (She paid for everything and
    used her car as well).
    To me Prince was meh.
    We were in the nosebleed section as well, could barely see the stage, the sound bounced all around and so distorted I couldn't even make out the
    lyrics, Connie (in her late 30s early 40s) was acting like she was seeing the Beatles in 1964, etc.
    Joe