• Responsiblity (was: Re: WW II)

From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Sun Oct 31 12:46:58 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

I try to pass on that thinking to the newbies, but so far not many can accept it as reality until it's too late at this company.

Too often that isn't taught any longer. Its all about me: My wants, my needs, etc.

I'm just grateful my dad taught me hard work & personal responsibility when I was young.

Something that is missing today.
    Joe
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Sun Oct 31 10:59:30 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

I try to pass on that thinking to the newbies, but so far not many can accept it as reality until it's too late at this company.

Too often that isn't taught any longer. Its all about me: My wants, my needs, etc.

Yup. . .The Me Generation, indeed! :(

Oh well, I don't have to play their games by their rules.

I'm just grateful my dad taught me hard work & personal responsibility when I was young.

Mot definitely. I'm trying to teach my son the same values, but it's hard, as some are downright illegal now!

Imagine if I told him to go shovel driveways without charging!! I'd be crucified for not ensuring he got paid $15.20/hour! (at 12 years old, yet)

I'd go out shoveling, if I were physically able to still!

Then the city union would attack me for undercutting their hourly raste of $38.40 or something! I'd fight them on the basis of I ain't doing THEIR job (strictly on city properties)

The caretaker in my townhouse complex pays minimum wage to tenants who can & want to shovel. . .

Absolutely zero takers this year!

In the big city bnext doorm, when I lived in an apartment complex, the same deal existed & only one person, a guy over 70, did the shoveling every time it snowed (he didn't mind -- more money in his pocket); I'd be the same, were it possible, into my nineties!

His parents lived in the '30s. My dad's am early Boomer, but from a conservative/traditional background (children remain silent unless addressed, when told to jump, you only ask "how high?" AFTER your feet have left the ground, etc.); suited me fine; I'm in positino to evaluate the lessons as they fit into the world I'm in, & only foster forward those that will work best. . .

I'm just thankful I have good lessons to consider; so many now never had them, & it's no wonder they're as they are. Spoiled ne'er-do-wells!

I dn't blame tjhem; they do the best with what they have, as I was taught to do, they just don't have as much to grow from. I feel bad, more than mad. . .

I rant, yes, but thst's more for humour effect than actual anger. . .

I'm not the old king commanding the tide to stop. I'm the old commoner tying scrounged lumber together into a basic raft.

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
    Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.2)
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to JOE MACKEY on Sun Oct 31 18:43:00 2021
    Joe,

Too often that isn't taught any longer. Its all about me: My wants,
    my needs, etc.

Sounds like rules for an echo moderator. <g,d,r>

The work ethic is that they want to work from 12 to 1, take an hour off
    for lunch, and get a full check.

Hmmmm...that sounds like Washington, DC. :P

Daryl

... PRESS To test. <click> RELEASE to detonate.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:2320/33)
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Tue Nov 2 05:51:10 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

Yup. . .The Me Generation, indeed! :(

Broad statement warning: Too many younger people have never been told NO
    by their parents. Or when told no whine and cry until they get what they
    want.
    This then carries over into their "adult" life.

And "the rules" seem to change daily in today's society.

Mot definitely. I'm trying to teach my son the same values, but it's hard, as some are downright illegal now!

Yep.

Imagine if I told him to go shovel driveways without charging!!

I never had an allowance. Until I was 13 I was sometimes given some
    money for small things, but after my father died, whatever I wanted I had to work for.
    (I learned early to play one parent off the other. I would ask one if I could do X and be yes told if the other agreed. I would then tell the other that first said I could if they agreed and usually got what I wanted.
    After my father died when I was 12 that cut out that bit of business. My father was a soft touch, my mother not so much).
    I started mowing yards with a rotary (push) mower at 13 and in the winter passed papers. (Then all though high school I had after school/weekend jobs passing papers, clerking in a drug store, hospital orderly, etc).
    That would now be seen as child endangerment what with those sharp
    exposed blades, etc and no doubt a visit from CPS (child protective services).

I'm just thankful I have good lessons to consider; so many now never had them, & it's no wonder they're as they are. Spoiled ne'er-do-wells!

Yep. ==sigh==
    Joe
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to DARYL STOUT on Tue Nov 2 05:54:10 2021
    Daryl wrote --

The work ethic is that they want to work from 12 to 1, take an hour off
    for lunch, and get a full check.

Hmmmm...that sounds like Washington, DC. :P

Other than the full pay cheque, I'm all for that idea. :)
    Joe

• From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Tue Nov 2 06:47:37 2021
    Broad statement warning: Too many younger people have never been told NO by their parents. Or when told no whine and cry until they get what they want.
    This then carries over into their "adult" life.

Yup, & then those parents gety old & complain how dangherous it is on the streets (the ones their kids roam & control, with impunity)

And "the rules" seem to change daily in today's society.

Mine don't, so there you have it.

Imagine if I told him to go shovel driveways without charging!!

I never had an allowance. Until I was 13 I was sometimes given some
    money for small things, but after my father died, whatever I wanted I had to work for.

I asked about getting an allowance only once, & my dad lit into me about how neither he nor my mom got an allowance & we all chip in to make the family & home work.

(I learned early to play one parent off the other. I would ask one if I could do X and be yes told if the other agreed. I would then tell the other that first said I could if they agreed and usually got what I wanted.

I tried that, but swifly learned it didn't fly in my home. Gosh be darned! they actually communicate with each other. I was taught, young, never to play that game. If one spoke & said 'no' that answer was auto-backed by the other. Or, as with you, the one answer was dependent on my asking the other first & getting their answer, then returninhg to the first parent.

Naturally, I still tried anyway, if I felt I had plausible deniability (I got distracted & forgot the one said no before I asked the other & got a yes--that only worked the once, though)

After my father died when I was 12 that cut out that bit of business. My father was a soft touch, my mother not so much).

I'm sorry to hear that -- That must've been rough on all of yas. . .

How many siblings did you have?

I started mowing yards with a rotary (push) mower at 13 and in the winter passed papers. (Then all though high school I had after school/weekend jobs passing papers, clerking in a drug store, hospital orderly, etc).
    That would now be seen as child endangerment what with those sharp
    exposed blades, etc and no doubt a visit from CPS (child protective services).

Yup. I recall that rotary mower, &8 using it to mow our lawn when I was 8, & wee lived on a hill! (not fun, but 'twas my job to be completed without excuses, & raking after, even if i got blisters(now old callouses)

& trimminmg with the giant rusty manual clippers.

Happy day for me when my dad got an electric mower & weed trimmer! The lawn practically mowed itself, in comparison to the rotary!

Nothing you & I can do now except let loose our hard-earned wisdom when it might be listened to & accepted. . .

But apparently I'm an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't understabnd life as it is now.

(I gawped and asked, "You-all; aren't interested in being safe when you walk to a friend's at night?! Myyy!")

Zoooom (right over their head)

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
    Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.2)
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to JOE MACKEY on Tue Nov 2 10:08:00 2021
    Joe,

Other than the full pay cheque, I'm all for that idea. :)

OK, you can work from 12 to 1, and take an hour off for lunch.

Then, you can give me the full pay cheque...it'd be better than what
    I'm getting in disability. :P

Daryl

... The Loan Arranger: When Kemosabee And Tonto Work To Get You Money.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:2320/33)