• Re: Crowd control

From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Sat Oct 16 09:20:50 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

so I called up some tghing I never knew I had in reserve: The Dad Voice! I sternly commanced him to turnm himself around, plant his butt back in his seat & buckle up. He replied, meekly & humbled, "Yes, sir." & I never hasd a problem with him again.

Obliviously some disciple he never had at home.
    Good for you.

The only male adults he really saw were the johns visiting his mom, who paid extra to have him forced to be in the room during the deed. (IKR, WTF???)

Agreed!

I miss the era I never lived in, where an entire community was part of raising a child into proper adulthood & responsible citizenship.

Same here.

I did experience the part where a stranger would give my butt or head a whack if I was acting up in public. When I got home, a seconmd punishment was awaiting, often my dad & his leather belt.

The same when I was in school.
    If I got into trouble at school and cried about it at home there was a
    second punishment at home. Of course being a perfect child this very seldom happened. Ahem. If I did it was like old line about Las Vegas "what
    happened in school stayed in school".
    Joe
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Sun Oct 17 16:28:42 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

so I called up some tghing I never knew I had in reserve: The Dad Voice! I sternly commanced him to turnm himself around, plant his butt back in his seat & buckle up. He replied, meekly & humbled, "Yes, sir." & I never hasd a problem with him again.

Obliviously some disciple he never had at home.

That was my impression, as well.

The snowflake type of liberals freak out over any punishment as retricting a child's true freedom.

I equate it to a house with property abutting a steep canyon.

Yes, you build a fence (HORRORS! caging your children!) because you'd like your kids to have backyard play time, but also to survive until the age when they can understand reason & spoken/explained injunctions.

I haven't had to give my son a paddling like I often got. Thankfully, no real life/death issues where we are, to require a sudden & strong psychological resistance to a particular choice. When real young, I used the one-finger method of corporal discipline, a simple flick of the nearest earlobe was enough to get his attention on track. Now, I see those lessons are part of his personality. No idea if he even recalls those flicks he hated.

I recall my spankings; I still maintain they were erxcessive, but my dad did the best he could with what jhe knew & understood. Certain key lessons needed to be taught to me so I didn't end up a convict in one of the prison sites he worked at, or any others, or shot by cops, or dead of an overdose, most of my childhod peers have gone one or those ways & are long gone now. . .

My dad was quick wqith apt responses to my complaints, like how come so & so gets a partuicular popular expensive toy & I don't?

"You don't know what he puts up with in every day life to get that toy. One of his parenmts might have an addiction & hits him regularly, not in love, but in anger & hate, so they buy him the toy to get him to keep quiet so they can keep doing it to him. (in retrospect he could've been speaking from direct knowledge of the family, or just knew the "type.")

Looking back, I'm thankful my parents loved me enoug to restrict my access to certain things & to discipline me, sometimes painfully, as needed, out of loving hope that I'd learn & become a successful adult.

I'm not sure I have yet, but I learned enough not to go the way of so many of my former playmates/peers, so I have a fair shot at better things still.

The sick thing is, that if my parents had money, I could find a dozen lawyers to sue them for childhood abuse! I wouldn't, of course, because I have morals.

Plenty of people doing this, per the sh*tpot-stirring news. . .

Good for you.

The only male adults he really saw were the johns visiting his mom, who paid extra to have him forced to be in the room during the deed. (IKR, WTF???)

Agreed!

I miss the era I never lived in, where an entire community was part of raising a child into proper adulthood & responsible citizenship.

Same here.

I did experience the part where a stranger would give my butt or head a whack if I was acting up in public. When I got home, a seconmd punishment was awaiting, often my dad & his leather belt.

The same when I was in school.
    If I got into trouble at school and cried about it at home there was a second punishment at home. Of course being a perfect child this very seldom happened. Ahem. If I did it was like old line about Las Vegas "what happened in school stayed in school".
    Joe
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
    Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.2)