• Re: TV sitcoms

From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Sat Oct 16 09:05:54 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

Makes sense to me; back then they were all drawn from the stage, & were used to "projecting" while speaking their lines.

When I was in school I had to take a public speaking class. One never
    knew when it would be needed, from being on stage to speaking to a group of people.
    We were taught to project so the people in the back of the room could
    hear us as well as those right in front.
    This is no longer taught (ASAIK) and when people speak to a group they
    just mumble.
    Or they yell at the audience.

Now, though, everyone's grown up & learned acting with mic-driven sound stages

What I dislike are people who seem to think they have to hold a mic and
    not just leave it on the stand.
    Joe

--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to JOE MACKEY on Sat Oct 16 10:55:00 2021
    Joe,

What I dislike are people who seem to think they have to hold a mic
    and not just leave it on the stand.

I don't need a mic when I talk...I'm such a loudmouth, full of hot air, anyway. Now, when I lose my voice, no doubt some will count that as a
    blessing. <G>

Daryl

... Ethernet (n): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:2320/33)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Sun Oct 17 15:21:26 2021
    When I was in school I had to take a public speaking class. One never knew when it would be needed, from being on stage to speaking to a group of people.
    We were taught to project so the people in the back of the room could
    hear us as well as those right in front.
    This is no longer taught (ASAIK) and when people speak to a group they just mumble.
    Or they yell at the audience.

Yup. I've taken several mini Toastmasters courses, & was taught to project so the farthest members could hear me normally. Feedback came from that part of the room often. I'm still not sure I'm doing it right all the time.

I found the skills I learned useful in other aspects of my life (haven't done a lot of public speaking), like my job interview for my cu8rrent job.

Skills executed:
    -including everyone in my view (moving my head & making noticeable eye contact (not just tap & go)
    -switch the question wehn uyou can't answer the oneasked; I realised that what they wanted from me was evidence I'll get the job done, so I focused on that, & ensured everyone of my answers ended with such a bit of info, & I got non- verbal & spoken feedback. I was applying for work I'd no experience in directly, but I was told tyearsd later by the big boss (owner) that mine was the best intervew he'd everconducted in 30+ years for the company)

Some of my answers could beboiled dopwn to, "I've no idea off-hand, but I'm assuming you've developed tools & as support structure, for use when needed?"

& he'd nod & even fill in the missing info, so I could keep on with the sample on-the-job experience(the "roleplaying question" was central to his hiring process) to a successful conclusion.

By engaging him, sitting farther back, throughout, I gained an ally for the rest of the interview. Wunderbar!

Afterwards, the other guy, operations manager, said, "We'll be in touch later with our decision, if you're selected." The owner walked me to the door, & leaned down just as I was leaving & said, "Your #1 job is to take care of my customers."

Perfect; I knew I had a job & had my mandate that overrode all else, & still does, even with a new GM, who has his own phiilosophies & directions for the conmpany to go.

What I dislike are people who seem to think they have to hold a mic and not just leave it on the stand.

Depends on the art form being used. Stand up comedy really prefers the comic to be in motion on the stage. Some fit in the mic &/or stand into their routine.

Singers who move seem to get the bigger fan base. Like Tina Turner & Mick Jagger.

I figure ifg you're just going to stand in front of a mic, you may as well just play a prerecorded session & stand anywhere that shows your best side.

Now, of course, it's all hidden clip-on mics, especially in fixed camera TV shows.

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
    Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.2)
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to DARYL STOUT on Tue Oct 19 06:00:00 2021
    Daryl wrote --

I don't need a mic when I talk...I'm such a loudmouth, full of hot air, anyway. Now, when I lose my voice, no doubt some will count that as a blessing. <G>

Ah, no comment. :)
    Joe

--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to JOE MACKEY on Tue Oct 19 16:55:00 2021
    Joe,

I don't need a mic when I talk...I'm such a loudmouth, full of hot air, anyway. Now, when I lose my voice, no doubt some will count that as a blessing. <G>

Ah, no comment. :)

When I tear myself down, that saves someone else the trouble.

Daryl

... Error: (A)bort, (R)etry, (T)ake down entire network?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:2320/33)