• WW II (was: Re: Musical memories)

From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Sat Oct 16 08:49:32 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

Canada was most responsible for saving the day in WW1 (Vimy Ridge was the turning point, all scholars agree) & in WW2, most of Europe credits Canada more than any other.

But if it hadn't been for the US supplying arms, munitions, tanks,
    ships, food, etc none of that would have happened.

Japan was separate from WW2 -- that was a private economic+power struggle disagreement between Japan & USA. Japan gave written two week notice before attacking Poearl Harbor. (a military target; Nagasaki & Hiroshima had no military bases)

Japan had been overrunning Asia since 1931.
    Japan had no coal or oil (to speak of), which ran its manufacturing, whereas other parts of Asia did.
    The warnings were rather cryptic (somewhere, someday) and our military leaders didn't think carriers would be used to launch air attacks. Their collective eyes were on Australia and Philippines, not expecting a end run "behind the lines on Hawaii.
    While Nagasaki and Hiroshima had no military bases they were
    manufacturing areas. To help end any war knock out the places the bombs, etc were
    made.
    The US also gave warnings of the attacks with Japan ignored. They still ignored the warnings after Nagasaki, believing the A Bomb was just a bigger bomb and we had only one. When the second hit they started to change their minds.

Japan was in the South Pacific separate from WW2. It was all part of the oingoing Sino-Japanese wars that were of no defense concern to the West.

Japan also threatened the West's supply of rubber for one thing.
    Joe
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: Fidonet Since 1991 www.doccyber.org bbs.docsplace.org (1:135/392)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Sun Oct 17 15:06:41 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

Canada was most responsible for saving the day in WW1 (Vimy Ridge was the turning point, all scholars agree) & in WW2, most of Europe credits Canada more than any other.

But if it hadn't been for the US supplying arms, munitions, tanks,
    ships, food, etc none of that would have happened.

This is the substance of endless non-completable debates. My response is usually "Let's agree to disagree &/or leave it open for further evidence"

I'm always reading, so I may, at any time, change my position, when the facts force me to.

I may not not always be right, but I'm never wrong.

I thought I was wrong once. . .but I was mistaken.

Japan was separate from WW2 -- that was a private economic+power struggle disagreement between Japan & USA. Japan gave written two week notice before attacking Poearl Harbor. (a military target; Nagasaki & Hiroshima had no military bases)

Japan had been overrunning Asia since 1931.
    Japan had no coal or oil (to speak of), which ran its manufacturing, whereas other parts of Asia did.

So Japan desperately needed access to Middle Eastern oil to maintain their industroal age growing population/society. The USA blockaded it to Japan, so the emperor said unless the blockadse was lifted, they were going to attack the USA's Pacif naval base on 7 December of that year (1941)

Japan was an ally of Germany, but this was a separate issue & not done in supportr of Hitler's designs on global dominance. (he was clear -- first Europe, then the Middle East, Africa, & only after they were secured(including obliteration of Jews, gays, et al), the Americas.

The warnings were rather cryptic (somewhere, someday) and our military leaders didn't think carriers would be used to launch air attacks. Their collective eyes were on Australia and Philippines, not expecting a end run "behind the lines on Hawaii.

See above. It was a clear date, but, yes,no time on it -- I would've been ready for 2am, myself, not expecting it to begin past dawn.

Of course, Japan would use a carrier -- how else do you support a trans-ocean military engagement? USA does the same: step one is to move at least one carrier into position (c.f. Baghdad, 2003)

I know rthis, so why didn't your high level generals & the CinC?

While Nagasaki and Hiroshima had no military bases they were manufacturing areas. To help end any war knock out the places the bombs, etc were
    made.

Fair play.

The US also gave warnings of the attacks with Japan ignored. They still ignored the warnings after Nagasaki, believing the A Bomb was just a bigger bomb and we had only one. When the second hit they started to change their minds.

'twas Hiroshima first (the A-Bomb; the H-bomb was 3 days later on Nagasaki) & the Japanese, naturally, expected a normal military response; their main military forces were close enough to respond to a naval+air attack, & so they weren't really expecting a lone plane to unleash such hell.

The 2nd attack came while they were still gathering data on the first.

I get it; once the decioson was made to employ nukes, the second was a done deal (tested the A-bomb, but one needs to see what an H-bomb does to a civilian target, too, to complete the reports.)

Overall it wass a sh*tty thing for all concerned. At least one of the pilots was completely psychologically messed up ever after.

Hoping we're done, as a species, with using such doomsday weapons. . .

Japan was in the South Pacific separate from WW2. It was all part of the oingoing Sino-Japanese wars that were of no defense concern to the West.

Japan also threatened the West's supply of rubber for one thing.

How so? I've not heard that one -- most rubber is from South America -- Japanese were nowhere near the Atlantic side of South America, where most of the ports that rubber is exported through are.

Maybe there was a secondary supply from Africa, but Italy(Mussolini & co.) was the main stopper there.

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
    Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.2)
  • From August Abolins@2:221/1.58 to George Pope on Sun Oct 17 18:51:00 2021
    Hello George Pope!

** On Sunday 17.10.21 - 15:06, George Pope wrote to JOE MACKEY:

Of course, Japan would use a carrier -- how else do you
    support a trans-ocean military engagement? USA does the
    same: step one is to move at least one carrier into
    position (c.f. Baghdad, 2003)

How close was the Japanese carrier to Hawaii?

I know rthis, so why didn't your high level generals & the
    CinC?

They didn't have the advantages of satellite surveillance back
    then. The ocean is so large. Hard to spot a lone carrier in
    the great Pacific ocean - even if they were expecting one
    somewhere back in the 40s.

I get it; once the decioson was made to employ nukes, the
    second was a done deal (tested the A-bomb, but one needs
    to see what an H-bomb does to a civilian target, too, to
    complete the reports.)

But the US conducted many such tests in the Pacific years
    prior. I think the news was hard to miss and ignore.

--
    ../|ug
    --- OpenXP 5.0.50
    * Origin: Creditors have better memories than debtors. (2:221/1.58)
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Sat Oct 23 08:37:48 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

This is the substance of endless non-completable debates. My response is usually "Let's agree to disagree &/or leave it open for further evidence"

That's the reason we avoid modern politics (and religion) in this echo.

Had a boss who thought that way. :)

I thought I was wrong once. . .but I was mistaken.

:)

the emperor said unless the blockadse was lifted, they were going to attack the USA's Pacif naval base on 7 December of that year (1941)

Citation please.

Japan was an ally of Germany, but this was a separate issue & not done in supportr of Hitler's designs on global dominance.

Hitler would have the west, Japan the east.
    Before Hitler could attack the Americans, he had to first secure Europe
    for staging, supplies, etc.

See above. It was a clear date, but, yes,no time on it -- I would've been ready for 2am, myself, not expecting it to begin past dawn.

Its like today where some group says we are going to do something but not telling when or where.

'twas Hiroshima first (the A-Bomb; the H-bomb was 3 days later on Nagasaki)

A slip of my fingers reversing the two.

If they used again it will be nutcase group that'll use them who don't
    care for human life. Other than their own group.
    It would be a lot easier to use a "suitcase nuke/dirty bomb" that uses
    the power of radiation rather than a blast force.

How so? I've not heard that one -- most rubber is from South America --

Southeast Asia, Malaya and the Dutch East Indies were the principle
    supplier of rubber at the time.
    Synthetic rubber was being developed in the west but not in great
    amounts. That depended on oil, which we had plenty of. As the supply was cut off
    research really kicked into high gear and perfected to what we have today.
    Over time Asian rubber would not be that important, to the US/Canada
    anyway.
    Joe
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Sat Oct 23 22:45:02 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

That's the reason we avoid modern politics (and religion) in this echo.

Not that WW2 is necessarily "current" ;) But I get ya. . . :)

I debarte ideas, not emotions. & that's what I believe you & I have been successfully doing exactly that in this thread.

Had a boss who thought that way. :)

A lot of bosses think that way; I only think that way with the below added, to prove I'm being a cheeky monkey more than serous.

If I was a manager & hasd a lot of people under me, my desk would have the sign:

Rules
    1) The boss(me) is always right
    2) If the boss is wrong, see Rule 1.
    3) If you have information otherwise to #1, I will appreciate it

My current boss (the owner) had no door onhis office, it was his desk, laid across tacks of cinderblocks. He'd say "my door is always open, because I don't have one there!"

& eaely in my time there he told me, "If I ever ask you why you acted a particular way in a case, I'm not micromamaging or looking to criticize -- I want to learn things we can all use knowing."

I did cxome up with as methodology that worked very well in certain situations & he'd often forward someone's case t me to try to complete it. (rather than just hijacking my methods)

This is why I prefer working directly for owners -- they know & respect(&reward) my value; & so muych can be left umsaid. When they dhuffle rthe scvhedule ot accommodate my reqiest, I alreeady know I owe him one & he jhas it on account. With the rest he had to explicitly say so every time (& these weren't young kids!)

Of course, one readon he hired me is because I've been a business owner/operator, so I "get it." & we can have conversations on topics way above my pay grade, as he spitballs ideas with me.

Best boss & job, ever.

worst job, but a good boss, was chicken catching (all night in a chicken poop filled barn, carching thousands of chickens to give to the swamper to load into cagres m the flatbed, to go to the slaughterhouse.

Get home covered in chickensh*t, & coughing it up in dust form until I chug a nice cold beer at 7am, usually lying in my deep dish bathtub as hot as I can stand it to soak & down my beer in peace. Occasionally my cat would jump in with me & paddle around for a bit. . .

But a good boss & coweorkers made it surviveable, even at $5/hour!

Cleaning up the rabbniot slaughter room at another job wasn't tops for career pride, but I got paid on time & in full. I did my job quickly & efficiently, & then walked 5 miles home every 3-4 Saturdays.

I dn't cswre whjat duities I have, so long as the clock is running & I'm getting paid in full(amount as agreed) & on time. Every job is basically "other duties as required." & I'm good with that.

Mostly I jockey to where I'm self managing & just get stuff done on my time & terms. & I'm always added value to the company. No other way, in my worldview. It's frustrating there's so few, like me, left.

the emperor said unless the blockadse was lifted, they were going to attack the USA's Pacif naval base on 7 December of that year (1941)

Citation please.

'twas a book I read back in '85 or so, written by a retired US 5-star General, & that's literally all I can come up with as a citation. Oh, also, it was written within five to ten years of the end of the war.

Japan was an ally of Germany, but this was a separate issue & not done in supportr of Hitler's designs on global dominance.

Hitler would have the west, Japan the east.
    Before Hitler could attack the Americans, he had to first secure Europe for staging, supplies, etc.

No argument with these facts. But Japan wasn't helping in Hitler's domain(Europe( & he wa focused on his activities there he wasn't doing didly for Japan. We saw, with Russia, how much Hitler's alliance agreements were worth. Pretty sure Japan noted this. I see it more as they were historical allies, like Canada & USA.

When you're in trouble (like 7-Dec-1941) we waste no time or men getting in there to help. But in other war effortrs of yours, we don't feel any obligations. Wjhen Pearl Harbnor was attacked, we eclared war on Japan within 6 hours. Your Congress debated it fasr longer befopre accepting to declare war.

We got your back! Plus, Japan attaxcked us on the same date, because they knew we're allies & Canadian Navy isd well placed to cut them off on their way home. (check any map/globe), so they bombed our western naval bases & a couple mahjor radio towers, presumably to limit our ability to get news from you. We were attacked just before you were, but we received news of the attack on you aolmost immedately on military radio freqs (those idiots bombed two big civilian radio towers!)

We did sam,e as yuou, & rounded up all Japanese on the coazt & put them in internment camps in the Interior. We just recently settled another civil claim brought on by those who lost land then thatr is now worth multi millions, if not billions. . . The compensation, though, was a pittance, based on the value then.

George Takei has ghone on record as stating he has no resentment over being rouneded up with his family & put into prison camps. He said it was sound military strategy in the face of war.

That counts for more, to me, than 5,000 whining middle class guiltmongers.

Its like today where some group says we are going to do something but not telling when or where.

Well, Japan said when & where (date & "western naval base"--no mistaking what was threatened to happen(& did so come to pass)

'twas Hiroshima first (the A-Bomb; the H-bomb was 3 days later on Nagasaki)

A slip of my fingers reversing the two.

I do this daily; I swear I spewnd more time going up & correcting typoes & 'brainos' than actually writing the message!

If they used again it will be nutcase group that'll use them who don't care for human life. Other than their own group.
    It would be a lot easier to use a "suitcase nuke/dirty bomb" that uses the power of radiation rather than a blast force.

The radiation effects are currently being used by your army by using reactor waste(in weaponized(dust) form) as flak armor on their vehicles.

Southeast Asia, Malaya and the Dutch East Indies were the principle supplier of rubber at the time.
    Synthetic rubber was being developed in the west but not in great amounts. That depended on oil, which we had plenty of. As the supply was cut off
    research really kicked into high gear and perfected to what we have today.
    Over time Asian rubber would not be that important, to the US/Canada anyway.

Thank you; I did not know that bit of rubber history, never having had occasion to look it up. . . (not a trending topic on my radar *LOL*)

Your friend,

Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Sun Oct 24 09:43:46 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

I debarte ideas, not emotions. & that's what I believe you & I have been successfully doing exactly that in this thread.

I'm the same way. Emotions change, facts don't.
    Here we can disagree/debate and still get along.

This is why I prefer working directly for owners

My chain of command is short. There's my captain then the owner of the security company.
    In parking I am directly under my civilian boss, who reports to the chief
    of police who reports to the VP of the university.
    When I worked in produce for 15 years in the '80s and early '90s, there
    was just the owner, myself and another fella.

I dn't cswre whjat duities I have, so long as the clock is running & I'm getting paid in full(amount as agreed) & on time. Every job is basically "other duties as required." & I'm good with that.

And that covers a lot of territory! :)
    When I'm on the clock I give it my all. Even if its just warming a
    chair. :)

Mostly I jockey to where I'm self managing & just get stuff done on my time & terms. & I'm always added value to the company. No other way, in my worldview. It's frustrating there's so few, like me, left.

Yep.

the emperor said unless the blockadse was lifted, they were going to
    attack the USA's Pacif naval base on 7 December of that year (1941)

Citation please.

'twas a book I read back in '85 or so, written by a retired US 5-star General, & that's literally all I can come up with as a citation. Oh, also, it was written within five to ten years of the end of the war.

Did he cite anything or was it just rumour and the like?

Before Hitler could attack the Americans, he had to first secure Europe for staging, supplies, etc.

No argument with these facts. But Japan wasn't helping in Hitler's domain(Europe( & he wa focused on his activities there he wasn't doing didly for Japan. We saw, with Russia, how much Hitler's alliance agreements were worth. Pretty sure Japan noted this.

Hitler's alliances weren't worth the paper they were written on.
    IMO Hitler had planned to conqueror Russia, which would put him on
    Japan's doorstep.
    From there he could have moved in on Japan.
    To Hitler the Japanese were a lesser people (as were all non-Aryans) and
    used them as merely strange political bedfellows, which would change once he had Europe, the middle east and Russia under his control.

Plus, Japan attaxcked us on the same date

Along with several other countries in the Pacific.

We did sam,e as yuou, & rounded up all Japanese on the coazt & put them in internment camps in the Interior.

I can see both sides of that. One it was racist against all Japanese.
    The other side, which I lean towards, is for their protection.
    Popular opinion was highly anti-Japanese (and had been for some time on
    the West Coast) and it might not have taken much to start trouble for them.
    Part of the problem on the west coast was people wanting the land owned
    by the Japanese (immigrants from Japan, the Issei and their children, the Nise).
    Plus, there were labour problems with the Issei and Nise willing to work
    for lower pay, thus reducing American wages.
    With the Japanese gone people could get their land and property for
    little or nothing.
    Its all rather complicated.
    Joe
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Sun Oct 24 16:23:23 2021
    My chain of command is short. There's my captain then the owner of the security company.
    In parking I am directly under my civilian boss, who reports to the chief of police who reports to the VP of the university.
    When I worked in produce for 15 years in the '80s and early '90s, there was just the owner, myself and another fella.

That's acceptable, to me, when the chain is hand selected by the owner for hgis reasons. I'm not overly feeling mny current chain of command connector, but not up to me. My boss has stated, & after hearing my thoughts on the matter, affirmed his decision that he considers this fellow good & proper in that position, so I'm back to "yes, sir" & I cooperate like he was my first choice as well.

I still have options. (I always do, because that's how myt life works); I'm choosing to maintain a peaceful & respectful working relationship (feels better who you make it a personal choice, I find *L*)

And that covers a lot of territory! :)
    When I'm on the clock I give it my all. Even if its just warming a
    chair. :)

I like variety, so a lt of territory is just fine. If I run out of "other duties as defined" I'm quite capable of finding or creating more!

Bottom line: nobody pays me to do nothing.

Citation please.

It was a long time ago & I was new to reading with a thought towards formally referencing material (still am, actually -- I just read to learn; if it comes up, I say what I've learned, usually without any clue as to from where.)

Hitler's alliances weren't worth the paper they were written on.

Well, that's self-evident! ;)

IMO Hitler had planned to conqueror Russia, which would put him on
    Japan's doorstep.

Of course he planned to conquer Russia -- thus his betrayal of their treaty.

I agree the temptation to keep pushing against those he considers subhuman & deserving of conquering & killing would've rapidly become toomuch for his megalomania.

To Hitler the Japanese were a lesser people (as were all non-Aryans) and used them as merely strange political bedfellows, which would change once he had Europe, the middle east and Russia under his control.

True. What gets me is how the Italians were mere pawns to the Germans, even though nominally "white" & how the mid 1900s saw much anti-Italian sentimewnt from white America (including "Help wanted / Italians Need Not Apply" which really gives great credit for those who grew up out of that, including Iacocca(of automobile history's fame) to great success.

America can be brutal to newcomeres, makimg them jump through hoops for acceptance, but the rewards for those who do are greater than life would've been back where they or their parents came from.

Plus, Japan attaxcked us on the same date

Along with several other countries in the Pacific.

From the same group? They'd already been busy in the South Pacific, which slowed way down after December-1941 & the USA's declaratoin of war on them.

You still hold Guam(Now home of textile sweat shops making clothing for American corporations) from then.

We did sam,e as yuou, & rounded up all Japanese on the coazt & put them in internment camps in the Interior.

I can see both sides of that. One it was racist against all Japanese.
    The other side, which I lean towards, is for their protection.

It was only stated as the first. They were deemed a threat strictly by virtue of being Japanese (not based on actual traitorous activities on any of their part)

Your second view certyainly follows wqith what we've seen since, with Arabic- looking American citizens being beaten after any kind of terrorist activity (e.g. OK City, which was done by a purely white trash Caucasian, as it turned out.)

No, I don't use white trash as a generic or racial term -- it refers to him & other pieces of human garbage who think their being white makes them superior & special.

I like how Jeff Foxworthy explained it:
    Blue Collar, White Trash & Rednecks are put down constantly, buy think about it: blue collar meanas a laborer. Rednecks labour so much under a hot sun they get sunburned, white trash are laborers whose industry(mining, often) dried up & were abandoned to their new poverty.

The Red, The White, & The Blue, they're who made & make America what it is: great!

Popular opinion was highly anti-Japanese (and had been for some time on the West Coast) and it might not have taken much to start trouble for them.

Star Trek, of course, was put forth very mucgh with the intent of showing America(Federation) as good heroes, & the Japanese(Klingons) as evl warmongers, with a nice blend of racially inclusive hippie ideology thrown in.

Part of the problem on the west coast was people wanting the land owned
    by the Japanese (immigrants from Japan, the Issei and their children, the Nise).

Yup, greed never is faer away from motivations.

Plus, there were labour problems with the Issei and Nise willing to work for lower pay, thus reducing American wages.

Because they were raised to beoleve that, even though they're a superior race, they need do whatever work is nee3ded to support themselves & their families.

Amereicans tend to think(on average) they're superior/chosen people but wo9n't stoop to do work they feel should only be done by slaves and immigrants.

When corportations & governments want to distract peopke, they'll point othese jobs tyhat mnobodt ever wanted as where the problems arise from.

Like how Hitler, whose people forced the Jews to run the banks(for no personal gain), as loaning at interest to your own people was sinful, per the Bible, so force the Jews to do it for you, then collect all the interest for yo0urselves. Hitler pointed to Jews running the banks as the source of all of the common German's troubles.

People can be sh*tty, but people can be most excellent, too, & that's who I look for to bump(virtual or otherwise) shoulders with

With the Japanese gone people could get their land and property for
    little or nothing.

Not so much, really, I'd say you summed it up right there. :)

The Catholic Church started this: levying charges on people, so their propertty cvould be seized. This is 100% of the reason why suicide was ever a capital crime.

If you suicided, your property became forfeit to the Church & their local suzerein partners, plus you weren't buried in the church cemetary, leaving that plot to sell to others.

Leads to sarcastic cartoons like the guy on a ledge, about to jump & someone asking the cop what he's going to do, next panel has the cop lifting a rifle to his shoulder, saying, "I'm about to prevent a crime."

Your friend,

Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to JOE MACKEY on Sun Oct 24 18:19:00 2021
    Joe,

I'm the same way. Emotions change, facts don't.
    Here we can disagree/debate and still get along.

But, my anger management class is p!$$!ng me off. <G>

This is why I prefer working directly for owners

In parking I am directly under my civilian boss, who reports to the chief of police who reports to the VP of the university.

Cue the music for "Jaws" as you roam the parking lot. <G>

When I'm on the clock I give it my all. Even if its just warming a chair. :)

Well, you're qualified to do it. Besides, GPS means "Grand Posterior
    Seated" <g,d,r>.

On another note, I had exited the Post Office after checking my P.O.
    Box the other day, when I saw this elderly black lady approaching with
    a walker (I had mine that day as well). I turned around, and said "Let
    me hold the door open for you". She thanked me for my kindness, and said
    "there aren't many men like you anymore". I dated a girl once (a former
    high school classmate), but she had so much "baggage" the relationship
    didn't last. When we first started dating, she said "When they made you,
    they broke the mold".

More like it came from Sy Tation. <G>

I'm glad I wasn't a political science major.

Daryl

... History repeats itself because nobody listens.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:2320/33)
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to GEORGE POPE on Wed Oct 27 06:26:54 2021
    Cyberpope wrote --

When I'm on the clock I give it my all. Even if its just warming a chair. :)

I like variety, so a lt of territory is just fine. If I run out of "other duties as defined" I'm quite capable of finding or creating more!

Bottom line: nobody pays me to do nothing.

Sometimes a job in security is just being there, in case something
    happens.
    I retired (or thought I had, long story) I am more of a floater now.
    One post today, another tomorrow, etc.
    Some are active (such as back in parking at the moment), others I make occasional rounds, others where I just there in case an alarm goes off.
    They all have their pluses and minuses.

I agree the temptation to keep pushing against those he considers subhuman & deserving of conquering & killing would've rapidly become toomuch for his megalomania.

For him personally, but once a land was conquered true believers would be made who would carry on (i.e. Hitler Youth).

True. What gets me is how the Italians were mere pawns to the Germans, even though nominally "white"

Hitler didn't really care for Mussolini,whom he saw as a clown.
    IMO once Hitler had England and Russia under his rule, he would have
    turned on Ol' Benito since German troops were already in Italy.
    He knew with all his bluster Mussolini would fold in no time.

America can be brutal to newcomeres, makimg them jump through hoops

Various groups.
    The Dutch in New York hated the English when they took over, the English/Americans disliked the Irish, the Irish disliked the Germans and everyone
    disliked the Jews.
    As waves of new comers came they were seen as taking American jobs,
    working for lower wages, etc. See above.

From the same group? They'd already been busy in the South Pacific, which slowed way down after December-1941 & the USA's declaratoin of war on them.

By early 1942 Japan had already over run Guam, Wake Island, and Hong
    Kong, the Philippines, the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), Malaya, Singapore, and
    Burma. They didn't stop after 12/7/41.

You still hold Guam(Now home of textile sweat shops making clothing for American corporations) from then.

Guam was seen as a fort against the USSR.
    It may still be needed as a fort against China the way things are going.

Your second view certyainly follows wqith what we've seen since, with Arabic- looking American citizens

Yep.

Blue Collar, White Trash & Rednecks are put down constantly, buy think about it: blue collar meanas a laborer. Rednecks labour so much under a hot sun they get sunburned, white trash are laborers whose industry(mining, often) dried up & were abandoned to

The Red, The White, & The Blue, they're who made & make America what it is: great!

Concur.

Because they were raised to beoleve that, even though they're a superior race, they need do whatever work is nee3ded to support themselves & their families.

Amereicans tend to think(on average) they're superior/chosen people but wo9n't stoop to do work they feel should only be done by slaves and immigrants.

Its always been thus, going back to ancient times.
    Medes and Persians conqueror some country and enslaved those people.
    Greece, Rome, etc all the same.

Hitler pointed to Jews running the banks as the source of all of the common German's troubles.

This goes back to the Middle Ages.
    As merchantism began, church law didn't allow interest to be charged on
    money loaned to the merchants. The Jews had no such prohibitions on loaning money.
    As merchants borrowed more and owed more they became resentful of owing
    that money and took it out on the ones who loaned it to them in the first place.
    Jews, in general in Europe, found a way to make money in banking.
    Joe
  • From George Pope@1:153/757.2 to JOE MACKEY on Wed Oct 27 12:49:21 2021
    Sometimes a job in security is just being there, in case something happens.

My job went through a period like that, on night & weekend shifts. I could sleep, so long as I could hear & answer my phone when it rang.

I preferred to sit up & play on Facebook or watch TV/read books.

Awawke or asleep, I got minnimum wage; if I got a casse & began working it, I billed the higher rate(about 50% more) for that time only.

Since we worked from home, we had to clock our own time & submit timesheets to the accountant every 2 weeks.

If we weren't dong the minimum (amnswering emergency calls) the boss would soon know, because after being unanswered 3 rings, it rang on HIS phone, & he reasonably disliked being woken when he's paying someone to do this. . .

He'd ask me, "Why anm I paying him if he's not even doing his job?"

If I knew the guy to be a slacker,. not too committed to his job, I'd reply, "Doesn't make sense to me." but if it was a on-off error/lapse, I'd say so & caution "wait & see."

Moral of the story: don't consistently dump your work on me! There's a reason why I was the highest paid person in Operations--I'm worth it!

I try to pass on that thinking to the newbies, but so far not many can accept it as reality until it's too late at this company.

I'm just grateful my dad taught me hard work & personal responsibility when I was young.

I retired (or thought I had, long story) I am more of a floater now.
    One post today, another tomorrow, etc.
    Some are active (such as back in parking at the moment), others I make occasional rounds, others where I just there in case an alarm goes off.
    They all have their pluses and minuses.

For him personally, but once a land was conquered true believers would be made who would carry on (i.e. Hitler Youth).

True. What gets me is how the Italians were mere pawns to the Germans, even though nominally "white"

Hitler didn't really care for Mussolini,whom he saw as a clown.
    IMO once Hitler had England and Russia under his rule, he would have turned on Ol' Benito since German troops were already in Italy.
    He knew with all his bluster Mussolini would fold in no time.

America can be brutal to newcomeres, makimg them jump through hoops

Various groups.
    The Dutch in New York hated the English when they took over, the English/Americans disliked the Irish, the Irish disliked the Germans and everyone
    disliked the Jews.
    As waves of new comers came they were seen as taking American jobs, working for lower wages, etc. See above.

By early 1942 Japan had already over run Guam, Wake Island, and Hong
    Kong, the Philippines, the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), Malaya, Singapore, and
    Burma. They didn't stop after 12/7/41.

Guam was seen as a fort against the USSR.
    It may still be needed as a fort against China the way things are going.

Your second view certyainly follows wqith what we've seen since, with Arabic- looking American citizens

Yep.

Blue Collar, White Trash & Rednecks are put down constantly, buy think about it: blue collar meanas a laborer. Rednecks labour so much under a hot sun they get sunburned, white trash are laborers whose industry(mining, often) dried up & were abandoned to

Concur.

Its always been thus, going back to ancient times.
    Medes and Persians conqueror some country and enslaved those people.
    Greece, Rome, etc all the same.

Hitler pointed to Jews running the banks as the source of all of the common German's troubles.

This goes back to the Middle Ages.
    As merchantism began, church law didn't allow interest to be charged on money loaned to the merchants. The Jews had no such prohibitions on loaning money.
    As merchants borrowed more and owed more they became resentful of owing that money and took it out on the ones who loaned it to them in the first place.
    Jews, in general in Europe, found a way to make money in banking.
    Joe

Your friend,

Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to DARYL STOUT on Thu Oct 28 05:51:56 2021
    Daryl wrote --

In parking I am directly under my civilian boss,

I once joked I wanted to put a big shark fin on top of the golf cart with speakers playing the theme from Jaws as I rode through the lots. :)

==swipe==
    Joe
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to JOE MACKEY on Thu Oct 28 08:06:00 2021
    Joe,

I once joked I wanted to put a big shark fin on top of the golf cart with speakers playing the theme from Jaws as I rode through the lots.
    :)

If you do it, I want pictures. <G>

==swipe==

You're not stealing...you're gathering research. Or was that a SLAP in
    my direction?? If the latter, you missed me. <g,d,r>

Daryl

... Taglines: the toilet-stall walls of BBSdom.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to DARYL STOUT on Fri Oct 29 05:39:20 2021
    Daryl wrote --

==swipe==

You're not stealing...you're gathering research.

I always thought that research is what one is doing when they don't know
    what they are doing. :)
    Joe
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to JOE MACKEY on Fri Oct 29 08:52:00 2021
    Joe,

You're not stealing...you're gathering research.

I always thought that research is what one is doing when they don't
    know what they are doing. :)

How long did it take you to research that?? <G>

Daryl

... The views that are expressed in this message aren't mine.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
  • From JOE MACKEY@1:135/392 to DARYL STOUT on Sun Oct 31 12:47:50 2021
    Daryl wrote --

I always thought that research is what one is doing when they don't know what they are doing. :)

Still working on it. :)
    Joe

• From Daryl Stout@1:2320/33 to JOE MACKEY on Sun Oct 31 18:35:00 2021
    Joe,

I always thought that research is what one is doing when they don't
    kno
    w what they are doing. :)

Still working on it. :)

That explains why the echo has been quiet lately. <G>

Daryl

... LaQuinta: Spanish for "Next To Denny's".
    === MultiMail/Win v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32