• Re: CentOS 8+MBSE+Virtualmin

From James Digriz@1:123/755 to James Digriz on Sat Sep 19 22:47:32 2020
    James Digriz wrote to All:
    It turns out the issue I described a few messages back can now be overcome by
    with a special fstab option, x-systemd.automount, which correctly satisfies
    the dependencies involved in mounting /home on /var/www with systemd. Latest
    information can be helpful, even if you have to dig for it in systemd.mount(5)

So, I'll trod on now with CentOS 8 for now on the new host, at least if quotas and everthing else Virtualmin still work correctly, but I'm still
    no fan of systemd and will be setting up another VM for testing alternatives.

Well, nope, that broke Webmin/Virtualmin/miniserv. Service running according to
    systemctl, firewalld has the port open, but nothing there, according to browser and nmap.

Back to the drawing board....

jbdigriz

Greetings, James Digriz
    email: jbdigriz@bbs.dragonsweb.org

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.7.18 (GNU/Linux-x86_64)
    * Origin: DragonsWeb Labs BBS 1:123/755 (1:123/755)
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to James Digriz on Thu Sep 24 11:41:04 2020
    So, I'll trod on now with CentOS 8 for now on the new host, at least if quotas and everthing else Virtualmin still work correctly, but I'm
    still no fan of systemd and will be setting up another VM for testing alternatives.

I highly recommend Devuan. Debian without systemd (I use sysvinit). I use
    it for my laptop, desktop, and my up-and-coming MBSE system.

https://www.devuan.org

I prefer the netinstall setup; I normally don't use the "kitchen sink" setup when installing Linux.

--Sean

___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Maximus/2 3.01
    * Origin: Outpost BBS * bbs.outpostbbs.net:10123 (1:18/200)
  • From Nicholas Boel@1:154/10 to Sean Dennis on Sat Sep 26 20:25:22 2020
    Hello Sean,

On Thu Sep 24 2020 11:41:04, Sean Dennis wrote to James Digriz:

I highly recommend Devuan. Debian without systemd (I use sysvinit).
    I use it for my laptop, desktop, and my up-and-coming MBSE system.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to setup a VM to check it out, as I've been hearing good things about it lately. It's been awhile since I've used a Debian based system, so aptitude is probably much different now. Everything systemd related that I've ever encountered using Archlinux has never given me any issues. When it first came around I was skeptical as well, but seriously.. no issues at all and was a smooth transition, and setting up services is just as easy as writing a sysvinit script.

I prefer the netinstall setup; I normally don't use the "kitchen sink" setup when installing Linux.

I do this with Arch also. It's a little bit of manual labor for a better system, imo.

And to stay on topic, I haven't installed MBSE for a few years (probably more, but it's hard to count in BBS years these days).. Was there any major updates? Or just mainly bug fixes?

Regards,
    Nick

... "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway."
    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20181215
    * Origin: thePharcyde_ distribution system (Wisconsin) (1:154/10)
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to Nicholas Boel on Sun Sep 27 12:13:00 2020

Sounds interesting. I'll have to setup a VM to check it out, as I've
    been hearing good things about it lately. It's been awhile since
    I've used a Debian based system, so aptitude is probably
    much different now. Everything systemd related that I've
    ever encountered using Archlinux has never given me any
    issues. When it first came around I was skeptical as well,
    but seriously.. no issues at all and was a smooth
    transition, and setting up services is just as easy as
    writing a sysvinit script.

I simply don't like the idea of a single program controlling the entire
    system. If I wanted that, I'd use Windows. I ran Slackware for 20 years
    and I still have that opinion of how things should work. The main reason I switched from Slack to Devuan is that it's been nearly five years since a Slackware update (though 15.0 is coming soon, I'm told) and I just wanted something that was more up to date but not a rolling release a la Arch.

I do this with Arch also. It's a little bit of manual labor
    for a better system, imo.

I like to pick and choose what is installed though Devuan does not allow the granular selection of programs during the install process that Slackware
    does. It is, however, easy enough to remove programs that aren't needed.

And to stay on topic, I haven't installed MBSE for a few years
    (probably more, but it's hard to count in BBS years these days).. Was there any major updates? Or just mainly bug fixes?

There's been a bit of both. I have slowly been completely redoing the documentation. There's a lot of incorrect sections in there now that have
    to be redone. With the addition of Mike to the team, the code has been
    getting a rather thorough review and we have been fixing major bugs. We're working on removing a lot of the proprietary code that is in MBSE and
    replacing it with standard libraries to improve portability.

There's entire sections of code that were ripped out for unknown reasons, removing particular functionality, and we're working on getting it put back
    in. I recently discovered that the NNTP server in MBSE is missing 90% of
    its advertised functionality.

Work is going slowly as Andrew and I are quite busy. I have had my life flipped upside down recently as I was declared permanently disabled and unemployable due to a rather severe case of Charcot foot (easier to look it
    up than for me to explain it here). So now I am working on applying for disability and fighting the Veterans' Administration for disability with
    this.

Hopefully when things settle down here in a bit for me while I'm waiting for all of these processes I am starting to finish, I will have time to do a lot more work on MBSE. It's something I can actually do and will keep me productively busy.

On a related note, I am working on learning C and porting my Cheepware BBS doors to using MBSE's "doorkit" (it's designed to work specifically with
    MBSE) and make my doors an add-on package to MBSE. The reason for an
    "add-on" and not included is MBSE uses the GPL and my doors are released
    under my own BSD-like license, so the licenses are incompatible.

It's nice to have a project to work on.

--Sean

___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Maximus/2 3.01
    * Origin: Outpost BBS * bbs.outpostbbs.net:10123 (1:18/200)