• Custom Install

From Rick Smith@1:340/202.1 to All on Thu May 28 16:39:32 2020
    Greetings All!

So I have been having trouble getting debian to install to a new intel nuc. It appears to be a problem with nic driver but also has some problem with the onboard intel GPU. My question is ( not a complete noob, but noobish) can I create a custom debian install iso with the drivers my system requires baked in? Its the only way around this I see.. Just as a note unbuntu installs without incident.

----
    Rick Smith (Nitro)

... TAGLINE A bad day BBSing is better than a good day at school!
    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5--b20170303
    * Origin: ----> Abacus Sysop Point --->>>>bbs.abon.us:2323 (1:340/202.1)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Rick Smith on Thu May 28 18:20:54 2020
    Hello Rick,

So I have been having trouble getting debian to install to a new intel nuc. It appears to be a problem with nic driver but also has some
    problem with the onboard intel GPU. My question is ( not a complete
    noob, but noobish) can I create a custom debian install iso with the drivers my system requires baked in? Its the only way around this I
    see.. Just as a note unbuntu installs without incident.

I wonder why it works on ubuntu but not debian? A different kernel perhaps. I generally prefer debian over ubuntu but the stable branch of debian can be behind somewhat.. maybe debian testing or sid would work better for you. I haven't played much with debian recently but in the past I usually ran testing.

For a server setup I rather like ubuntu also, so if you find that works for what you are doing that might be the way to go.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

--- GoldED+/LNX
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12 to Rick Smith on Fri May 29 09:03:05 2020
    Re: Custom Install
    By: Rick Smith to All on Thu May 28 2020 16:39:32

can I create a custom debian install iso with the drivers my system requires baked in?

there should be a way to slipstream those drivers into an ISO but i don't know the full sequence of steps to do so...

very basically, you unpack the image, add the drivers and possible config changes to the unpacked image, pack the image back up, and put it into an ISO to boot from...

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)