• Mint 20 "Ulyana"

From Aaron Thomas@1:229/426 to All on Mon Jul 20 14:18:32 2020
    I upgraded to Mint 20 "Ulyana" without hesitating. I thought it would be great, but shortly afterwards I noticed my CD/DVD ROM was no longer working, and neither was my sound card.

There's a few ways to upgrade - I did it the online way, where there was no USB or DVD involved. Maybe I messed something up along the way, but ending up without hardware support was a nasty surprise.

So then I installed the latest version of Ubuntu, and all my hardware is working again. On top of that, Ubuntu is smoother than it was 10 years ago; it's got less bloat on the desktop, even less than Mint 19 had.

On a fresh install, Mint has a bunch of quirks that I always needed to hammer out. But not Ubuntu - it's smooth as can be.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (1:229/426)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Aaron Thomas on Mon Jul 20 11:48:36 2020
    Aaron Thomas wrote to All:

I upgraded to Mint 20 "Ulyana" without hesitating. I thought it would be great, but shortly afterwards I noticed my CD/DVD ROM was no longer working, and neither was my sound card.

I need to load the sg module lately to access the CD/DVD, I'm not sure why
    or what changed.

Run (as root)..

modprobe sg

On a fresh install, Mint has a bunch of quirks that I always needed to hammer out. But not Ubuntu - it's smooth as can be.

Yep, that's true. On Ubuntu you may not even need to "modprobe sg", it might
    be smart enough to just do that.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... It is broke. It will not work. It does not go.

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.7.17 (GNU/Linux-x86_64)
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:229/426 to Alan Ianson on Mon Jul 20 22:25:15 2020
    Yep, that's true. On Ubuntu you may not even need to "modprobe sg", it
    migh
    be smart enough to just do that.

Thanks for that tip. It could happen again in the future, but I'm gonna stick with Ubuntu.

At first I thought I'd try Debian. Isn't that an ancestor of Ubuntu? But I chose Ubuntu because it seems to be the choice of many people, including Dreamhost.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Tue Jul 21 16:18:00 2020
    At first I thought I'd try Debian. Isn't that an ancestor of Ubuntu? But I chose Ubuntu because it seems to be the choice of many people, including Dreamhost.

Yes, Ubuntu is a Debian derivative.

* SLMR 2.1a * "Silence. Music's original alternative. Roots-grunge!"
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Benny Pedersen@2:230/0 to Aaron Thomas on Tue Aug 11 12:53:36 2020
    Hello Aaron!

20 Jul 2020 22:25, Aaron Thomas wrote to Alan Ianson:

Yep, that's true. On Ubuntu you may not even need to "modprobe sg", it
    migh be smart enough to just do that.

Thanks for that tip. It could happen again in the future, but I'm
    gonna stick with Ubuntu.

At first I thought I'd try Debian. Isn't that an ancestor of Ubuntu?

its reverse, ubuntu is forked from debian

But I chose Ubuntu because it seems to be the choice of many people, including Dreamhost.

62 millions wordpress users ignore security in wordpress

Regards Benny

... there can only be one way of life, and it works :)

--- Msged/LNX 6.1.2 (Linux/5.8.0-gentoo-r1-x86_64 (x86_64))
    * Origin: I will always keep a PC running CPM 3.0 (2:230/0)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:229/426 to Benny Pedersen on Tue Aug 11 16:15:37 2020
    But I chose Ubuntu because it seems to be the choice of many people, including Dreamhost.

62 millions wordpress users ignore security in wordpress

Are there 62 million Wordpress sites? That's a lot! Which security measures are they ignoring?

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Nigel Reed@1:124/5016 to Aaron Thomas on Wed Aug 12 11:49:04 2020
    Aaron wrote:

On a fresh install, Mint has a bunch of quirks that I always needed to
    hammer
    out. But not Ubuntu - it's smooth as can be.

I had always been happy with Mandrake/Mandriva and their urpmi system. In the end I switcehd to CentOS because all the work stuff I was doing was CentOS or Red Hat based so it made sense. It took me a while to get used to rpm.

However I got very frustrated by how far back some packages are, yes I didn't really want to be on the bleeding edge of Fedora, since I tresrure my data and don't want to lose it.

That's when I decided to switch to Ubuntu. I was using it previous for my BBS anyway because the DOSEMU for running 16 bit games under Linux just worked
    when I was struggling with CentOS.

Now, I've converted all my systems to Ubuntu 20.04. Everything works, and it's much more current without risking too much.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)
  • From Benny Pedersen@2:230/0 to Aaron Thomas on Wed Aug 12 22:49:20 2020
    Hello Aaron!

11 Aug 2020 16:15, Aaron Thomas wrote to Benny Pedersen:

Are there 62 million Wordpress sites? That's a lot! Which security measures are they ignoring?

live updates, that breaks tripwire signatures, design of how wordpress is secure is badly brokken, updates are fine if its done in normal spec file for building binaries pkgs to be installed

at first i thinked its only a gentoo problem, but no its not, would you replace a kernel with something builded at microsoft that clams is latest linux version we provide you free of charge ?

i wont blame wordpress developpers, but i do blame package maintainers that does not do it right

Regards Benny

• From Aaron Thomas@1:229/426 to Nigel Reed on Wed Aug 12 20:30:08 2020
    Now, I've converted all my systems to Ubuntu 20.04. Everything works, and much more current without risking too much.

The hardware support is there too! Some of these developers think one size
    fits all, but there are people out there using all kinds of ancient printers/scanners/etc. It's a lousy suprise to find them abandoned by your favorite OS.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:229/426 to Benny Pedersen on Wed Aug 12 20:35:34 2020
    live updates, that breaks tripwire signatures, design of how wordpress is secure is badly brokken, updates are fine if its done in normal spec file building binaries pkgs to be installed

Live updates for Wordpress or for plugins? To me, it seems like a bad idea regardless. You know how sometimes plugins start to conflict after an update?

What do you mean by normal spec file building? I apologize, I don't understand that.

at first i thinked its only a gentoo problem, but no its not, would you replace a kernel with something builded at microsoft that clams is latest

Who is doing that? That sounds crazy! Unless it's inadvertant? I assume that none of us want to be dependent on Microsoft.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Benny Pedersen@2:230/0 to Aaron Thomas on Fri Aug 14 13:33:36 2020
    Hello Aaron!

12 Aug 2020 20:35, Aaron Thomas wrote to Benny Pedersen:

live updates, that breaks tripwire signatures, design of how wordpress
    is secure is badly brokken, updates are fine if its done in normal spec
    file f building binaries pkgs to be installed

Live updates for Wordpress or for plugins?

both

To me, it seems like a bad
    idea regardless.

yes since gentoo have md5 of every installed file in portage, so basicly wordpress webupdate is designed to clue less we want updates, more or less maybe just how its creeamed in centos

You know how sometimes plugins start to conflict after an
    update?

yes, words press is more stable if no webupdates or any update or even just new plugins is installed, to solve it all kind of plugins or even just themes must be in the tarball, so gentoo and other can verify md5 of every file installed

tripwire will be happy aswell there, but tripwire is just not needed with gentoo :)

What do you mean by normal spec file building?

take a 10Gb tarball custommize the spec file for what you need, then compile it and install the binaries compiled install, that way no one on remote can update it

I apologize, I don't understand that.

fair

at first i thinked its only a gentoo problem, but no its not, would
    you replace a kernel with something builded at microsoft that clams is
    latest

Who is doing that?

hopefully none

That sounds crazy!

Donald Trump is normal ?

Unless it's inadvertant?

maybe

I assume that none of us want to be dependent on Microsoft.

+1, i still have microsoft roms in my commodore 128 (basic), that is imho crime that it was alowed to be there without full asm source, commodore did not notice the risk of no more updates, it was silently killing old and good computer systems so microsoft could take another ride at new problems to solve

Regards Benny