• Winter is coming?

From Charles Pierson@2:240/1120.976 to All on Fri Oct 23 17:42:01 2020
    Hello, All.

Here it is, a few weeks before winter, and I've got cherry tomatoes growing.

You got to love Gulf Coast Texas weather sometimes.

--
    Best regards!
    Posted using Hotdoged on Android

http://pics.rsh.ru/img/receiv7779_ydjjq1qh.jpg
    --- Hotdoged/2.13.5/Android
    * Origin: Houston, TX (2:240/1120.976)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES PIERSON on Sat Oct 24 09:47:00 2020
    Here it is, a few weeks before winter, and I've got cherry tomatoes growing.

You got to love Gulf Coast Texas weather sometimes.

They are still growing in North Central Kentucky, too. They are not
    getting as big, but the couple days here and there of sunny, 75F+ weather
    still is turning a few of them red, and they are still eddible. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Tagline dispenser temporarily out of order.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Charles Pierson@2:221/6.21 to Mike Powell on Sat Oct 24 14:13:11 2020
    Hello, Mike Powell.
    On 10/24/20 9:47 AM you wrote:

Here it is, a few weeks before winter, and I've got cherry
    tomatoes growing. You got to love Gulf Coast Texas weather
    sometimes.
    They are still growing in North Central Kentucky, too. They are
    not getting as big, but the couple days here and there of sunny,
    75F+ weather still is turning a few of them red, and they are
    still eddible. :)

The crazy part is some trays I had seeds in that didn't sprout when my plants growing now did, are sprouting like crazy. I have like 20 little plants going.

--
    Best regards!
    * Origin: Houston, Tx (2:221/6.21)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES PIERSON on Sun Oct 25 09:32:00 2020
    The crazy part is some trays I had seeds in that didn't sprout when my plants >owing now did, are sprouting like crazy. I have like 20 little plants going.

Now that is pretty crazy! So, you grow your cherry tomato plants from
    seed? I usually buy the small plants each Spring.

I had a neighbor where I used to live that had apparently dropped some tomatoes, or seeds, by accident near the fencerow. A Spring or few later,
    we had tomatoes growing along the fence. Those came back for two or three years later.

He had dogs and a young child, so I suspect one of them may have dropped a tomato there. The kid may have thrown it off the side of the deck so as
    not to have to eat it.

I have never had much luck growing them from seed on purpose, though. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
  • From Charles Pierson@2:221/6.21 to Mike Powell on Sun Oct 25 11:01:20 2020
    Hello, Mike Powell.
    On 10/25/20 9:32 AM you wrote:

The crazy part is some trays I had seeds in that didn't sprout
    when my plants g owing now did, are sprouting like crazy. I have
    like 20 little plants going.
    Now that is pretty crazy! So, you grow your cherry tomato plants
    from seed? I usually buy the small plants each Spring.

I saw a thing on the internet, and tried it out. I had some cherry tomatoes that were going bad. I cut them in half and put them in the dirt. I'm guessing that the decomposition of the tomatoes helped fertilize.

What I had actually seen was with slices of beefsteak tomato and halves of bell peppers, but figured it was the same.

I had a neighbor where I used to live that had apparently dropped
    some tomatoes, or seeds, by accident near the fencerow. A Spring
    or few later, we had tomatoes growing along the fence. Those came
    back for two or three years later.

My brother in law had the same thing happen this year with tomato and eggplant.

He had dogs and a young child, so I suspect one of them may have
    dropped a tomato there. The kid may have thrown it off the side
    of the deck so as not to have to eat it.

Probably a safe bet something along those lines happened.

I have never had much luck growing them from seed on purpose,
    though. :)

I get plants pretty well, keeping them until fruit is another story.

--
    Best regards!
    * Origin: Houston, Tx (2:221/6.21)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/107 to Charles Pierson on Sun Jan 31 11:29:57 2021
    Charles Pierson wrote to Mike Powell <=-

The crazy part is some trays I had seeds in that didn't sprout when my plants growing now did, are sprouting like crazy. I have like 20 little plants going.

How are your tray plants turning out?

Mike

... Computer Hacker wanted. Must have own axe.
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (1:2320/107)
  • From Charles Pierson@1:106/127 to Mike Powell on Sun Jan 31 18:59:54 2021
    On 31 Jan 2021, Mike Powell said the following...
    The crazy part is some trays I had seeds in that didn't sprout when m plants growing now did, are sprouting like crazy. I have like 20 litt plants going.

I kind of ignored them, but they're still hanging in there. Undoubtedly the likely need to be transplanted now. It's been mild weather for the most
    part, only a couple of nights hit freezing so far. Weather is close tp springtine like now. I'm almost ready to start the spring planting alread,
    but I'll pro ably wait a couple of more weeks.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: theoasisbbs.ddns.net:1357 (1:106/127)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES PIERSON on Tue Feb 2 16:03:00 2021

I kind of ignored them, but they're still hanging in there. Undoubtedly the likely need to be transplanted now. It's been mild weather for the most part, only a couple of nights hit freezing so far. Weather is close tp springtine like now. I'm almost ready to start the spring planting alread, but I'll pro ably wait a couple of more weeks.

Weather has been fluctuating too much here to do any transplanting yet. We
    had a couple of days in the mid-50s F a couple of weeks ago, but we've had
    a couple of snows since, and the forecast for the end of this weekend is
    highs in the upper teens. :O

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Sir! Jem'ha'dar warship approachin-- ^{+Kx NO CARRIER
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Charles Pierson@1:106/127 to Mike Powell on Tue Feb 2 20:03:06 2021
    On 02 Feb 2021, Mike Powell said the following...
    I kind of ignored them, but they're still hanging in there. Undoubtedly likely need to be transplanted now. It's been mild weather for the most part, only a couple of nights hit freezing so far. Weather is close tp springtine like now. I'm almost ready to start the spring planting alre but I'll pro ably wait a couple of more weeks.

Weather has been fluctuating too much here to do any transplanting yet. We had a couple of days in the mid-50s F a couple of weeks ago, but
    we've had a couple of snows since, and the forecast for the end of this weekend is highs in the upper teens. :O

I went out the past couple of days and uncovered the succelents and some overdue lawn maintenance, The daytime temps have been the upoer 60's low
    70's. Several of this spiky Aloe type plant are flowering.Some old metal tables I have plants on are rusting out, so I'm figuring out some
    alternatives foe them. Which works out OK because the plants on them are due repotting anyway.

I also have a half dozen or so redheaded woodpeckers hanging out in my
    Camphor tree for some reason. It's not very big as it's only about 5 years old.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES PIERSON on Wed Feb 3 13:43:00 2021
    I also have a half dozen or so redheaded woodpeckers hanging out in my Camphor tree for some reason. It's not very big as it's only about 5 years old.

Maybe they like camphor, or some insect that is attracted to it?

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * That which does not kill us strengthens us.
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Charles Pierson@2:250/1 to Mike Powell on Fri Feb 5 15:56:47 2021
    On 03 Feb 2021, Mike Powell said the following...

I also have a half dozen or so redheaded woodpeckers hanging out in my Camphor tree for some reason. It's not very big as it's only about 5 ye old.

Maybe they like camphor, or some insect that is attracted to it?

I Suppose that is possuble, The camphor is also the only tree in my yard with leaves currently.

* Origin: theoasisbbs.ddns.net:1357
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES PIERSON on Sat Feb 6 10:26:00 2021
    I Suppose that is possuble, The camphor is also the only tree in my yard with leaves currently.

The could be hiding from predators then. The only trees in my yard with
    leaves are the hollys (which are really tall bushes, I guess) and the evergreens (pines, cypress, and cedar). They don't seem to hang out in
    those much.

* SLMR 2.1a * A KGB keyboard has no ESC key.
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Charles Pierson@2:250/1 to Mike Powell on Sat Feb 6 18:35:31 2021
    On 06 Feb 2021, Mike Powell said the following...

I Suppose that is possuble, The camphor is also the only tree in my yard leaves currently.

The could be hiding from predators then. The only trees in my yard with leaves are the hollys (which are really tall bushes, I guess) and the evergreens (pines, cypress, and cedar). They don't seem to hang out in those much.

That could well be. There are a pair of hawks around. My wife doesn't lije letting our little dogs out when we see them flying.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES PIERSON on Sun Feb 7 10:45:00 2021
    The could be hiding from predators then. The only trees in my yard with >MP> leaves are the hollys (which are really tall bushes, I guess) and the
    evergreens (pines, cypress, and cedar). They don't seem to hang out in >MP> those much.

That could well be. There are a pair of hawks around. My wife doesn't lije letting our little dogs out when we see them flying.

I sometimes see a hawk or falcon flying around this area. I notice them because I hear the crows cawing a lot, then I look up and notice they are chasing something.

It is usually a turkey vulture (the kind that only go after already dead things) but, I have noticed if I pay attention a lot of times it is not. I have been wanting to get a closer look at the raptor... we have perrigrines
    in the area and I like those. :)

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * And Adam asked, "What's a Headache?"
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Charles Pierson@2:250/1 to Mike Powell on Sun Feb 7 20:01:20 2021
    On 07 Feb 2021, Mike Powell said the following...
    That could well be. There are a pair of hawks around. My wife doesn't l letting our little dogs out when we see them flying.

I sometimes see a hawk or falcon flying around this area. I notice them because I hear the crows cawing a lot, then I look up and notice they are chasing something.

It is usually a turkey vulture (the kind that only go after already dead things) but, I have noticed if I pay attention a lot of times it is not.
    I have been wanting to get a closer look at the raptor... we have perrigrines in the area and I like those. :)

I'm in a semi rural area surrounded by city. Meaning there are plenty of wooded Areas and a bayou near by, and I've got neighbors with land enough to raise horses cows or goats. It also means plenty of area for opposum and racoons to hang ut. So I get Turkeu vulutures for roadkill as well as
    raptors for the small critters. Occassionally I can even spot an owl, which
    is cool because my wife likes owls,

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES PIERSON on Mon Feb 8 14:28:00 2021
    I'm in a semi rural area surrounded by city. Meaning there are plenty of wooded Areas and a bayou near by, and I've got neighbors with land enough to raise horses cows or goats. It also means plenty of area for opposum and racoons to hang ut. So I get Turkeu vulutures for roadkill as well as raptors for the small critters. Occassionally I can even spot an owl, which is cool because my wife likes owls,

I live in an area that is on the edge of a city. I am within walking
    distance of a cornfield, a cattle farm, a tobacco field, and some wooded
    areas. :) We get deer through here all the time. Plenty of squirrels. I have never seen a racoon or a (live) opposum but I know the latter is
    around anyway.

While not in my immediate area, there are plenty of cliffs nearby. The vultures seem to like hanging out in those. In more recent years, I have actually seen a bunch just hanging around in some not so tall trees 2-3
    miles from here.

I am always on the lookout for owls but never seem to see any. Do
    sometimes see hawks, but never get a close enough look to see what kind.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?!
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Charles Pierson@2:250/1 to Mike Powell on Mon Feb 8 20:23:16 2021
    On 08 Feb 2021, Mike Powell said the following...
    I live in an area that is on the edge of a city. I am within walking distance of a cornfield, a cattle farm, a tobacco field, and some wooded areas. :) We get deer through here all the time. Plenty of squirrels.
    I have never seen a racoon or a (live) opposum but I know the latter is around anyway.

I don't have any deer around, which is probably a good thing. Lots of hunters in the area.

While not in my immediate area, there are plenty of cliffs nearby. The vultures seem to like hanging out in those. In more recent years, I have actually seen a bunch just hanging around in some not so tall trees 2-3 miles from here.

I am always on the lookout for owls but never seem to see any. Do sometimes see hawks, but never get a close enough look to see what kind.

I've got a small wooded area behind my place. It's actually the back end of the acerage a small steel company has that they left undeveloped. I believe that's where the owls I've seen make their home, but I'm not for sure.

The hawks live in the park about a mile away, it's got a nice nature trail that's only warning is to watch out for alligators where the path goes iver
    the bayou.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES PIERSON on Tue Feb 9 16:09:00 2021
    I don't have any deer around, which is probably a good thing. Lots of hunters >in the area.

I wish we didn't. They have beheaded more that a couple of my young trees.
    I have got in the habbit of putting something around the smaller deciduous trees but the darn things apparently eat pines, too! I'd have never
    figured that.

The hawks live in the park about a mile away, it's got a nice nature trail that's only warning is to watch out for alligators where the path goes iver the bayou.

Is that in Louisiana?

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Overdrawn? No way! I still have checks left!
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Charles Pierson@1:106/127 to Mike Powell on Tue Feb 9 18:46:33 2021
    On 09 Feb 2021, Mike Powell said the following...
    The hawks live in the park about a mile away, it's got a nice nature tra that's only warning is to watch out for alligators where the path goes i the bayou.

Is that in Louisiana?

No sir, I'm in Houston Texas. But a lot of this area was swampland as well. There are many many bayous that run through the Houston area.

• From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES PIERSON on Wed Feb 10 14:29:00 2021
    Is that in Louisiana?

No sir, I'm in Houston Texas. But a lot of this area was swampland as well. There are many many bayous that run through the Houston area.

Far Western Kentucky, near the Mississippi, has a few also which is why I asked. There are several other areas that can get swampy if it rains
    enough.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * In Stereo where available. .elbaliava erehw oeretS nI
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Charles Pierson@2:250/1 to Mike Powell on Thu Feb 11 09:34:45 2021
    On 10 Feb 2021, Mike Powell said the following...
    No sir, I'm in Houston Texas. But a lot of this area was swampland as w There are many many bayous that run through the Houston area.

Far Western Kentucky, near the Mississippi, has a few also which is why I asked. There are several other areas that can get swampy if it rains enough.

That's true. Louisiana is so associated with swamps people forget they are
    all over the place.