• the zones are irrelevent but..

From August Abolins@2:221/1.58 to Alan Ianson on Mon Mar 18 19:43:41 2019
    Hello Alan,

On 18.03.19, you wrote:

..But then there
    was an intelligent reply that explained that "we can see the origin (i.e.
    country) of a post from the nodelist data".

That only works if the post in question was posted by the sysop. A user
    on a BBS could be away in the distance.

Ah, true! So, "origins" may be even more irrelevant. It's the content that matters. If origin is of importance, then that can be found out easily enough by netmail to the original poster and striking up a conversation there.

http://nodehist.fidonet.org.ua/

I had forgotten all the moving around I did in Vancouver. Life is much better out here in the country.. :)

..but there you are, for posterity. The site seems to be built by an active sysop in Kiev. Kudos to him for providing this quick lookup and history trace through the pile of nodelists over the years!

I wanted to build something like this for the fidonews newsletter. But I swear that I saw that someone had already done that - but that was many years ago. If it exists, I'd love to learn about it. If not, I have to start collecting the old docs and get it done.

../|ug

--- WinPoint Beta 5 (359.1)
    * Origin: Reluctantly Revisiting Fidonet (2:221/1.58)
  • From August Abolins@2:221/1.58 to Tony Langdon on Mon Mar 18 20:14:10 2019
    Hello Tony,

Nodelist data is not always visible to users. FOr me, nodelist lookups are currently only manual, and not something I do in the heat of posting messages.

I agree. I only mentioned it because one person brought it up. But for me, a lookup would not be a prerequest to decide whether I would want to be in a discussion with someone based on the origin of the bbs they were using.

In the past, when I would see a fido address, it was interesting to discover where certain nets/nodes actually were. The span/outreach of the fidonet technology was fun to see.

../|ug

--- WinPoint Beta 5 (359.1)
    * Origin: Reluctantly Revisiting Fidonet (2:221/1.58)
  • From Robert Stinnett@1:290/10 to August Abolins on Mon Mar 18 19:29:05 2019
    Re: the zones are irrelevent but..
    By: August Abolins to Alan Ianson on Mon Mar 18 2019 07:43 pm

I wanted to build something like this for the fidonews newsletter. But I swear

Speaking of FidoNews, is it even needed nowadays? In the past it was a way to get information out to everyone, regardless of echoes they may or may not carry. Today, does anyone even read it and does anyone even participate in it anymore?
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: Gateway to the West BBS | St. Louis, Missouri (1:290/10)
  • From August Abolins@2:221/360 to Tony Langdon on Tue Mar 19 02:49:41 2019
    Tony Langdon : August Abolins wrote:

Nodelist data is not always visible to users. FOr me, nodelist lookups are currently only manual, and not something I do in the heat of posting messages.

Offline readers for points have included NL compilation and lookup. Kind of like having a phonebook incase you wanted to identify their Boss system. I used/use them to explore the diversity, the funny and clever system names people come up with and which you might otherwise get to see as an Origin unless someone posts something in an echo.

--- Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (Windows/20100228)
    * Origin: - nntp://rbb.fidonet.fi - Lake Ylo - Finland - (2:221/360)
  • From August Abolins@2:221/360 to Robert Stinnett on Tue Mar 19 02:59:00 2019
    Robert Stinnett : August Abolins wrote:

Speaking of FidoNews, is it even needed nowadays? In the past it was a
    way to
    get information out to everyone, regardless of echoes they may or may not carry. Today, does anyone even read it and does anyone even participate
    in it
    anymore?

imho, the newsletter is in a sad state. However, I do find that the software lists and jamnntp info to be useful. I used it to learn that jamnntp was even available! The technical parts seem to be updated regularly by the various people.

No one seems to have the time to write an "official" treatise on a subject. It's all become short messages in echomail or none at all. HOWEVER, I have expected that the assigned Editor would have posted something that would serve the interests of fidonet sysops on a regular basis. All the previous editors loved to write and share their findings. Today its just a repeated collection of the different segments.

--- Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (Windows/20100228)
    * Origin: - nntp://rbb.fidonet.fi - Lake Ylo - Finland - (2:221/360)
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to August Abolins on Wed Mar 20 12:38:00 2019
    On 03-18-19 20:14, August Abolins wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

I agree. I only mentioned it because one person brought it up. But
    for me, a lookup would not be a prerequest to decide whether I would
    want to be in a discussion with someone based on the origin of the bbs they were using.

for me, time zone information is now the most useful thing, with today's realtime capabilities.

In the past, when I would see a fido address, it was interesting to discover where certain nets/nodes actually were. The span/outreach of
    the fidonet technology was fun to see.

Sure was, when it was a novel thing.

... Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to August Abolins on Wed Mar 20 12:41:00 2019
    On 03-19-19 02:49, August Abolins wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

Tony Langdon : August Abolins wrote:

Offline readers for points have included NL compilation and lookup.
    Kind of like having a phonebook incase you wanted to identify their
    Boss system. I used/use them to explore the diversity, the funny and clever system names people come up with and which you might otherwise
    get to see as an Origin unless someone posts something in an echo.

But that's not everyone's situation. You can't assume the user has ready access to nodelist data. Some do, some don't.

... California is a fine place to live -- if you happen to be an orange.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Tony Langdon@3:633/410 to August Abolins on Wed Mar 20 13:56:00 2019
    On 03-19-19 02:59, August Abolins wrote to Robert Stinnett <=-

imho, the newsletter is in a sad state. However, I do find that the software lists and jamnntp info to be useful. I used it to learn that jamnntp was even available! The technical parts seem to be updated regularly by the various people.

I do cast an eye on the IPv6 node listings myself, as I am one of the 80 or so fully IPv6 capable Fidonet nodes.

... Exterminator needed: world wide web found
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Phillip Kimble@1:128/2 to Robert Stinnett on Wed Mar 27 22:35:52 2019
    On 18 Mar 2019, Robert Stinnett said the following...
    Speaking of FidoNews, is it even needed nowadays? In the past it was a may not carry. Today, does anyone even read it and does anyone even participate in it anymore?

Hey, easy now. I did read the latest FidoNews just 2 days ago. Though I must admit it was out of sheer curosity. It was nice looking at the software that is still available...

Cheers,
    Phil

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2019/02/01 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Geezer's BBS::Colorado Springs,Co (1:128/2)