• what's new lately?

From August Abolins@2:221/1.58 to All on Sun May 26 21:26:00 2019
    Hello All!

Except for maybe some improvements to a couple of BBS programs
    (Synchronet, Mystic..), and couple of nntp or fidonet "apps" for mobile devices in the recent years, has there been anything else new to fidonet technology?

BinkD as been around for atleast 20 years.
    Jamnntp looks like the most recent contribution (2013?, but I spotted a listing in Jul 17, 2004 for jamnntpd-0.6)

Is this as good as it gets for 2019 and beyond?

../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.38
    * Origin: /|ug's Point, Ont. CANADA (2:221/1.58)
  • From Deon George@3:633/509.1 to August Abolins on Mon May 27 03:12:35 2019
    On 26 May 2019, August Abolins said the following...

Well, I'm working on something that is different, but still FTN.

Its a background project for me, and I've been going a month or two now. When I've got something thats worthy of showing, I'll share.

But to your point, I think there is modernisation that can be done, yet still preserve the retro flow.

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    / \ | Chinwag BBS - A BBS on a PI in Docker!
    \_.__.*/ |
    V | Coming from the 'burbs of Melbourne, Australia

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/23 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Chinwag | MysticBBS in Docker! (3:633/509.1)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to August Abolins on Mon May 27 07:59:53 2019

To people commenting about lack of change, I have only 1 reply ... "Why don't you yourself?"

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.99
    * Origin: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards (2:292/854)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to August Abolins on Mon May 27 12:37:28 2019
    Hello All!

Except for maybe some improvements to a couple of BBS programs
    (Synchronet, Mystic..), and couple of nntp or fidonet "apps" for mobile devices in the recent years, has there been anything else new to fidonet technology?

Not in the underlying FTN technology, no.

It is a staple today (the binkp protocol). It's all I use today when connecting with other nodes.

Jamnntp looks like the most recent contribution (2013?, but I spotted a listing in Jul 17, 2004 for jamnntpd-0.6)

The sky is the limit. All the stuff we have today is there because somebody, or a group of people did it. I see no reason not to carry on with what we have and also what new ideas people bring in.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Rob Swindell@1:103/705 to Alan Ianson on Mon May 27 16:49:34 2019
    Re: what's new lately?
    By: Alan Ianson to August Abolins on Mon May 27 2019 12:37 pm

Hello All!

Except for maybe some improvements to a couple of BBS programs (Synchronet, Mystic..), and couple of nntp or fidonet "apps" for mobile devices in the recent years, has there been anything else new to fidonet technology?

Not in the underlying FTN technology, no.

It is a staple today (the binkp protocol). It's all I use today when connecting with other nodes.

The sky is the limit. All the stuff we have today is there because
    somebody,
    or a group of people did it. I see no reason not to carry on with what we have and also what new ideas people bring in.

I added networked voting support to Synchronet a couple of years ago (message up/down voting and polls), but only for QWK networking. I've been asked about adding support to SBBSecho (for FTNs) but without any other FTN software authors engaged, it wouldn't really be of any use. I inquried about any interest in FTSC_PUBLIC I think it was, and got no responses. So perhaps the active developers just didn't see the inquiry or there's just not any interest, at least in that particular feature. Or there are no other active FTN software developers (!). :-)

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #36:
    Bobbi Flekman: Money talks, and bullshit walks.
    Norco, CA WX: 64.6øF, 53.0% humidity, 1 mph E wind, 0.01 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Rob Swindell on Wed May 29 02:21:20 2019
    I added networked voting support to Synchronet a couple of years ago
    (message
    up/down voting and polls), but only for QWK networking. I've been asked
    about
    adding support to SBBSecho (for FTNs) but without any other FTN software authors engaged, it wouldn't really be of any use. I inquried about any interest in FTSC_PUBLIC I think it was, and got no responses.

I remember reading your post in FTSC_PUBLIC. I wonder if you went ahead and implemented that in SBBSecho and published the details in the wiki if it would be implemented in other software?

I know that wiki.synchro.net is well know as a source of FTN and BBS info.

So perhaps the active developers just didn't see the inquiry or there's just not any interest at least in that particular feature. Or there are no other active FTN software developers (!). :-)

I think a lot of FTN/BBS developers worry about compatibility issues (a real concern) so might like the idea but worry about things like that.

If you could come up with a "standard" of some sort it might just catch on. :)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Rob Swindell@1:103/705 to Alan Ianson on Wed May 29 03:35:35 2019
    Re: what's new lately?
    By: Alan Ianson to Rob Swindell on Wed May 29 2019 02:21 am

I added networked voting support to Synchronet a couple of years ago (message up/down voting and polls), but only for QWK networking. I've
    been
    asked about adding support to SBBSecho (for FTNs) but without any other FTN software authors engaged, it wouldn't really be of any use. I
    inquried
    about any interest in FTSC_PUBLIC I think it was, and got no responses.

I remember reading your post in FTSC_PUBLIC.

Ah, good to know I'm getting out (on this channel too!).

I wonder if you went ahead and
    implemented that in SBBSecho and published the details in the wiki if it would be implemented in other software?

It's possible, but I have plenty of other things to work on and without any engagement from other developers, I don't have a lot of motivation to re-implement a feature that already workes nicely over QWK networks.

I know that wiki.synchro.net is well know as a source of FTN and BBS info.

Cool. I try. :-)

So perhaps the active developers just didn't see the inquiry or there's just not any interest at least in that particular feature. Or there are
    no
    other active FTN software developers (!). :-)

I think a lot of FTN/BBS developers worry about compatibility issues (a
    real
    concern) so might like the idea but worry about things like that.

Oh, me too for sure. In general, I've found QWK to be more of an open-book for enhancements (than FTN) and there's certainly less drama/push-back in that space. For that reason, I usually focus my "innovations" in that area.

If you could come up with a "standard" of some sort it might just catch on. :)

You never know. Anyway, thanks for replying. :-)

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #39:
    Synchronet first supported Windows NT v6.x (a.k.a. Vista/Win7) w/v3.14a (2006).
    Norco, CA WX: 55.5øF, 81.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)