• More on my situation.

From Marc Lewis@1:396/45 to All on Fri Aug 20 19:27:43 2021
    * Original message posted in: R19SYSOP.
    * Crossposted in: 45POINTS, FN_SYSOP.

Hello All.

Things may not be quite as dire as it first appeared... I don't like sounding like Chicken Little with the sky falling, but that possibility looms shortly ahead. But, a great deal will be determined in the next week or so.

Two of my co-workers (different departments) are working with me to try and put together a revised business plan (that will also include a *very* substantial, but hopefully temporary, pay cut for me) that, with hopes and prayers, will stave-off my dramatic change in position to part-time-on-call. A great deal depends on whether or not upper management is willing to listen and work with me to improve the amount of work coming in. I have to convince them to advertise - my department has virtually zero on-line and zero in-print presence. Not sustainable, IMO. The main company is in Defense and Cyber Security for the gov't - advertising in an unknown since 100% is by bid. Likewise, the major division I work for is an A/V integrator that does major A/V systems for the Federal court system as well as schools; again all done by bid, so advertising is virtually unheard of.

The subdivision under them DOES advertise as they manufacture professional audio equipment (all made in the USA now.) My little department is sort of a stand-alone that has never had the luxury of public awareness that we're (that's me) here. Obviously, it won't work sustainably like that. Hopefully the next 10 days or so will see a change for the better and not the worse. Please keep me in your thoughts and/or prayers.

The system is still stable and will remain on line, at least for the time-being. Turning off the Comcast Commercial connection is not feasible at the moment as I apparently am *still* under contract until the end of December, so the connection to them will at least remain active. Cutting it off now would be *rather* costly.

So, for this very moment, I am still up. Newsgroup echoes from me will be going away immediately as I've cut my account with GigaNews. Please don't post to any echoes that you still get from me that start with alt-xxxxxx or bit-xxxxxx that originate at 1:396/4.

There simply can be no guarantees that the company's owner will accept the proposal. Although I am definitely not giving up hope, I have to face the imminent reality that I may be, for all intents and purposes, out of a job. If the proposal *is* accepted, my fretting will have been for naught and I'll be able to hang onto FidoNet a good while longer - - if FidoNet will still have me.

Best regards,
    Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    * Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS-Huntsville,AL-bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to MARC LEWIS on Sat Aug 21 10:33:00 2021
    There simply can be no guarantees that the company's owner will accept the pro
    sal. Although I am definitely not giving up hope, I have to face the imminent
    eality that I may be, for all intents and purposes, out of a job. If the propo
    l *is* accepted, my fretting will have been for naught and I'll be able to han
    onto FidoNet a good while longer - - if FidoNet will still have me.

Wow, Marc. Good luck!

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * I'm NOT unemployed. ....I'm a consultant.
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Marc Lewis@1:396/45 to Mike Powell on Sat Aug 21 10:51:23 2021
    Hello Mike.

<On 21Aug2021 10:33 Mike Powell (1:2320/105) wrote a message to MARC LEWIS regarding More on my situation. >

There simply can be no guarantees that the company's owner will
    accept the pro[po]sal. Although I am definitely not giving up hope, I
    have to face the imminent [r]eality that I may be, for all intents
    and purposes, out of a job. If the propo[sa]l *is* accepted, my fretting will have been for naught and I'll be able to han[g] onto FidoNet a
    good while longer - - if FidoNet will still have me.

Wow, Marc. Good luck!

Much appreciated, Mike.

Best regards,
    Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
  • From Paul Hayton@3:770/100 to Marc Lewis on Mon Aug 23 14:58:39 2021
    On 20 Aug 2021 at 07:27p, Marc Lewis pondered and said...

the proposal. Although I am definitely not giving up hope, I have to
    face the imminent reality that I may be, for all intents and purposes,
    out of a job. If the proposal *is* accepted, my fretting will have been for naught and I'll be able to hang onto FidoNet a good while longer - - if FidoNet will still have me.

Best wishes Marc..

Regards, Paul
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (3:770/100)
  • From Marc Lewis@1:396/45 to Paul Hayton on Sun Aug 22 23:17:22 2021
    Hello Paul.

<On 23Aug2021 14:58 Paul Hayton (3:770/100) wrote a message to Marc Lewis regarding Re: More on my situation. >

On 20 Aug 2021 at 07:27p, Marc Lewis pondered and said...

the proposal. Although I am definitely not giving up hope, I have to
    face the imminent reality that I may be, for all intents and purposes,
    out of a job. If the proposal *is* accepted, my fretting will have been for naught and I'll be able to hang onto FidoNet a good while longer - - if FidoNet will still have me.

Best wishes Marc..

That's much appreciated, Paul. The next 10 or so days will tell the tale.

Best regards,
    Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
  • From Paul Hayton@3:770/100 to Marc Lewis on Mon Aug 23 20:35:33 2021
    On 22 Aug 2021 at 11:17p, Marc Lewis pondered and said...

That's much appreciated, Paul. The next 10 or so days will tell the
    tale.

I'm mindful when it's a stressful situation so figured I'd reach out.

One thing that has helped me in the past is the phrase 'this too shall pass' which kinda reminds me that nothing (good/bad) lasts forever. Which is great when times are tough and not so great when things are going well :)
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (3:770/100)