• Filegate Contributors

From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to All on Tue Jan 4 22:26:16 2022
    Hello All!

AS many of you might know Janis Kracht has shut down here servers so five of
    us have taken over as Star systems with three in North America, me in Europe and one is Australiasia namely :

2:250/1 Europe - (Me) - Vincent Coen
    3:640/66 Australia - Terry Roati
    1:275/100 N.A (Nth America) - Carol Shenkenberger [ Still being set up ] 1:153/7715 N.A. - Dallas Hinton North America
    1:3634/12 N.A. - Mark Lewis

2:250/1 is acting as master hub / Star for receipt of new files and new areas as well as looking after the file FILEGATE.ZXX and if needed FILEGATE.HDR.

This location should also be used for notifications of new file groups and areas and any other matters arising for the needs to be able to upload new archived files etc. Including the group or areas being discontinued or being passed over to another or if your node address should be replaced with another.

Some areas was under the control of Janis for distributing files so we will be looking for volunteers to take these over (See last version of FILEGATE.ZXX, but if you do not have one, drop me a netmail and I will send the current one.

(The file FDNINFO.ZIP is extremely out of date and may not be updated).

2:250/1 is linked to the other Star system in that all new files will be passed
    on to them in a matter of seconds that to high speed internet connections between us all.

File that have the FILE_ID.DIZ or file_id.diz must contain the file details but
    without non character out side the range A - Z, a - z, 0 - 9 period, comma and uplinks contact details etc. The reason for NOT having special symbols is that
    many BBS system do not handle such charcters in a even manner making the description in ALLFILES and similar and within a BBS files areas look a mess and some do not like it at all, so please do not do it. Also describing a file as "abcde.ZIP is a what ever etc" it not correct for some systems as they change the archive for one they prefer to use in-house after testing for Viruses etc.

Mention if this version replaces a previous one and remember if you are supplying a .tic file to include the keyword REPLACE to remove older versions where ever possible as this help to keep BBS systems as clean as practical.

If the version is a test release then only replace previous test release.

Yes I know some of this will not apply to all of you but just trying to cover every thing in one netmail

When contacting me to yourself up etc, please also supply your email address along with your best contact Fido network address if still operational.

I appreciate that not every one wishes to do the hatching of files so contact me with the details and I will take this on for you if needed.

Vincent (Coen)

UK Star (Filegate) 2:250/1

--- Mageia Linux v8 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.22/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Vincent Coen on Wed Jan 5 06:02:52 2022

is this area to replace the (private?) IFDC echo?

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
    ... Looks like another case of Clue Deficit Disorder.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to mark lewis on Wed Jan 5 13:33:11 2022
    Hello mark!

Wednesday January 05 2022 06:02, you wrote to me:

Absolutely no idea but doubt it, just found it when posting the Filegate message and here it was empty.

Vincent

• From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Vincent Coen on Wed Jan 5 11:39:54 2022

On 2022 Jan 05 13:33:10, you wrote to me:

Absolutely no idea but doubt it, just found it when posting the Filegate message and here it was empty.

i found out it is just another area for the same purpose... i think janis started doing most everything in IFDC... this one has not had any traffic in it since before Oct 2018 which is why it did not exist on my system... when i first saw your message, i thought it was a new area just created...

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
    ... That's stronger than a garlic milkshake.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to mark lewis on Wed Jan 5 17:41:59 2022
    Hello mark!

Wednesday January 05 2022 11:39, you wrote to me:

On 2022 Jan 05 13:33:10, you wrote to me:

Absolutely no idea but doubt it, just found it when posting the
    Filegate message and here it was empty.

i found out it is just another area for the same purpose... i think
    janis started doing most everything in IFDC... this one has not had
    any traffic in it since before Oct 2018 which is why it did not exist
    on my system... when i first saw your message, i thought it was a new
    area just created...

Well if we are not going to use it - I will remove it still trying to deal with the 900+ echo areas that are on Dallas's system that is not letting me do maintenance i.e., remove them !

On top of that it does not send a msg what is wrong.
    Sick as a parrot comes to mind. {Python hat off ]

Vincent

• From mark lewis@1:3634/12 to Vincent Coen on Wed Jan 5 13:33:55 2022
    Re: Filegate Contributors
    By: Vincent Coen to mark lewis on Wed Jan 05 2022 17:41:59

Well if we are not going to use it - I will remove it

i don't know... i know it hasn't been on the backbone since at least 2019... i have it in my non-backbone list because it was being used at one point but all the posts have expired here since they were older than three
    years...

still trying to deal with the 900+ echo areas that are on Dallas's system that is not letting me do maintenance i.e., remove them !

i know that battle well... i think i finally won mine... at least for now... i mean, the idea is sound but not always desirable... the actual command sequence should be the standard +blah and -foo... i know %HELP works,
    too... i was surprised to see that it allows one to turn on/off areas by groups, too... i haven't seen that in an areafix, before... at least not outside of brobocop on BBBS...

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)
  • From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to mark lewis on Wed Jan 5 20:43:42 2022
    Hello mark!

Wednesday January 05 2022 13:33, you wrote to me:

Re: Filegate Contributors
    By: Vincent Coen to mark lewis on Wed Jan 05 2022 17:41:59

Well if we are not going to use it - I will remove it

i don't know... i know it hasn't been on the backbone since at least
    2019... i have it in my non-backbone list because it was being used at
    one point but all the posts have expired here since they were older
    than three years...

still trying to deal with the 900+ echo areas that are on Dallas's
    system that is not letting me do maintenance i.e., remove them !

i know that battle well... i think i finally won mine... at least for
    now... i mean, the idea is sound but not always desirable... the
    actual command sequence should be the standard +blah and -foo... i
    know %HELP works, too... i was surprised to see that it allows one to
    turn on/off areas by groups, too... i haven't seen that in an areafix, before... at least not outside of brobocop on BBBS...

Hmm all well in theory except he does not use groups.

Mine does use them and allow group processing.

Vincent