• Moderator election

From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to All on Tue Nov 30 23:23:53 2021
    Did we skip a moderator election in this echo ... ?

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - Nov 27 2021
    * Origin: Hou het veilig, hou vol. Het komt allemaal weer goed (2:292/854)
  • From Janis Kracht@1:261/38 to Ward Dossche on Tue Nov 30 18:47:00 2021

Why?

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
  • From Nigel Reed@1:124/5016 to Ward Dossche on Tue Nov 30 23:01:18 2021
    On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 23:23:53 +0100
    "Ward Dossche" <ward.dossche@2:292/854> wrote:

You touch it, you own it. Congratulations :)
    --
    End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Janis Kracht on Wed Dec 1 10:25:23 2021

Why?

Wasn't this the echo where bi-annual moderator elections were a 'cast in concrete thing'? Or was that the other global fidonet sysop echo?

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - Nov 27 2021
    * Origin: Hou het veilig, hou vol. Het komt allemaal weer goed (2:292/854)
  • From Alex Galiyev@1:129/14 to Janis Kracht on Wed Feb 9 02:50:56 2022
    Hello Janis!

Tuesday November 30 2021 18:47, you wrote to Ward Dossche:

Why?
    Why to moderate an echo with only few messages/month?

Alex

--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20150715
    * Origin: "Ability is nothing without opportunity" (c) (1:129/14)
  • From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to Alex Galiyev on Fri Feb 11 14:29:31 2022
    Hello Alex!

Wednesday February 09 2022 02:50, you wrote to Janis Kracht:

Hello Janis!

Tuesday November 30 2021 18:47, you wrote to Ward Dossche:

Why?
    Why to moderate an echo with only few messages/month?

Just my 3 pence worth (OK, not a lot) :

This echo area has a set of rules posted for it and in such has a declaration about holding a moderators election every two years which is over due but in any event as Janis has retired her systems and as the current moderator mean she may need replacing.

It could also mean that this echo like many in the system has no need for a moderator and that is up to the readers of this area.

Personally I do not see the need for one and even more so now that traffic is light, but some others might.

The fact that it is shown on the ELIST system as moderated is also some what moot but the system (ELIST) is a useful tool to provide a declared list of all available echo's.

Now this IS for echo's using the English language which has some what a limited
    usage, even more so as there is over 150 different languages out in the world but there is an argument that as a language English has the highest usage count
    among these different languages and this taken from a Google count today, see block :

--
    The most spoken languages in the world

English (1.132 million speakers)
    Mandarin (1.117 million speakers)
    Spanish (534 million speakers)
    French (280 million speakers)
    Arabic (274 million speakers)
    Russian (258 million speakers)
    Portuguese (234 million speakers)
    --

How accurate it is, is another matter.

So I would like to consider adding echo's in other languages to the listings as
    at least in the UK and USA there are many who's native language is NOT English and BBS user's and sysop's might well be interested in reading some topic areas
    in their native language if only to get a taste of their old home, etc.

How ever one task at a time but I would be interested in echo lists of such in the format of a backbone type listing including such as ELIST.NA

The only issue I see here is that the text has to be read by systems that only operate with the English alphabet language and font sets so accents will not work as far as I know.

If you have one of these lists you can send then as a archive with a uplink address to obtain then from a 24/7 system given as a text file within the archive where archive name is specific to language/country etc (to reduce risk of over write etc.

Note that the format of this file include in specific location in the ext line the Echo Name and the line line Title . i.e.,
    EchoName starting position 1 and Title in position 39. This is not caste in stone as I can program for it where title is not in 39 providing there is a
    gap between Name and Title but it makes it easier if it is.

I will try and add them into the system as and when the software is completed and after some testing.

I will arrange with the Sysop given to get a link session and areafix passwords
    to connect with shortly after ELIST testing.

I will say this again this variation of the ELIST system does not require a declared moderator and will use the generic contact for these area to be elistmaint with the elist network address currently 2:25/21 and yes it was historically 1:1/21 but I cannot get that nor 2:1/21 so I am stuck with the one
    I am using.

It would be very useful to use one of the others so that the ELIST system can be looked after by a younger person that myself (75 in June) to give a bit on longevity to the project.

The output of this will be to create a comprehensive bachbone.na list but that name could be another but at least for my bbs systems mailer works as is as I assume for many others.

I am suggesting that this list is maintained where ever possible that any echo that has had zero traffic (from the master uplink site) over a one year period is removed and placed in the ELIST.NO file and then removed from that after a 12 month or after period.

My problem is that I have no tool that can provide such stats that uses the JAM
    message base as used with mbse that will create say a text file to introduce into a specific echo area or an automatic element of the elist program to remove it in the above described manner.

Of course it would help that sysops, moderators or other do NOT post monthly rules or other posts such as stats within that gives a false sense of traffic and yes I am one, but I have now closed such down, so that dead mean just that no one is using it.

Now I appreciate that this list of of no use to SOME sysops, fine don't use it but I and many others have a use for such a list if only for the echo titles even if any descriptions cannot be used by their system, mine included.

Mind you the title details need a clean up as to much none useful info at the start etc.

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v8 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.24/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)