• PVT listings

From Björn Felten@2:203/2 to mark lewis on Wed Jun 26 02:38:22 2019
    you never heard of a private BBS? are you trying to tell dale how to run his system? can we all start telling you how to run your system??

No need to. Since we are gradually discarding parts of P4 we might as well discard of the entire 2.1.9 of P4 in one big swipe.

"Private listings impact each member of FidoNet, since they take up space in everyone's nodelist. Private listings which are for the convenience of one sysop (at the expense of every other sysop in FidoNet) are a luxury which is no longer possible."

Nowadays it seems to be, and has been, quite possible in certain parts of Fidonet for a long time...

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101125
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Björn Felten on Tue Jun 25 21:45:36 2019

On 2019 Jun 26 02:38:22, you wrote to me:

you never heard of a private BBS? are you trying to tell dale how to
    run his system? can we all start telling you how to run your system??

No need to. Since we are gradually discarding parts of P4 we might as
    well discard of the entire 2.1.9 of P4 in one big swipe.

kinda, yeah...

"Private listings impact each member of FidoNet, since they take up
    space in everyone's nodelist. Private listings which are for the convenience of one sysop (at the expense of every other sysop in
    FidoNet) are a luxury which is no longer possible."

yeah, that part is definitely not applicable these days... especially since 1TB drives are damned near cheaper than pizza dinner...

Nowadays it seems to be, and has been, quite possible in certain parts
    of Fidonet for a long time...

i dunno... i do know that dale's system has been listed in the same way since it was first added to the nodelist 21+ years ago...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
    Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong...
    ... Life is one weird tub of guacamole and I am all out of chips.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From David Drummond@3:640/305 to Björn Felten on Wed Jun 26 11:55:24 2019
    On 26/06/2019 10:38, 2:203/2 wrote:
    his system? can we all start telling you how to run your system??

No need to. Since we are gradually discarding parts of P4 we might
    as well discard of the entire 2.1.9 of P4 in one big swipe.

"Private listings impact each member of FidoNet, since they take up space in everyone's nodelist. Private listings which are for the convenience of one sysop (at the expense of every other sysop in

When that was written we had to "trim" the nodelist to "less than 1000 entries" and pay to move the nodelist.

Today the size is not an issue, most of us are not paying anything to move it.

Nowadays it seems to be, and has been, quite possible in certain
    parts of Fidonet for a long time...

Since "ION" became popular...

--

Gang warily
    David

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.8.0
    * Origin: Bucca, Qld, Australia (3:640/305)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to David Drummond on Wed Jun 26 04:39:18 2019

On 2019 Jun 26 11:55:24, you wrote to Bj”rn Felten:

"Private listings impact each member of FidoNet, since they take up
    space in everyone's nodelist. Private listings which are for the
    convenience of one sysop (at the expense of every other sysop in

When that was written we had to "trim" the nodelist to "less than 1000 entries" and pay to move the nodelist.

interestingly enough, P1, P2, and P3 do not use the word "private" in them... all three policy documents do have an example nodelist using "Pvt" for private systems, though... this example nodelist is used as an example proposed nodelist for when a net or region proposes to split into a smaller unit...

Today the size is not an issue, most of us are not paying anything to
    move it.

at least not outside the existing cost of maintaining an internet connection...

Nowadays it seems to be, and has been, quite possible in certain
    parts of Fidonet for a long time...

Since "ION" became popular...

they've been used for longer than IONs have been around... my 1:3634/12 address was listed as a Pvt system when i moved to R18... i was a well known participant in several software support echos and generated quite a bit of traffic* with the support messages i posted... i could have been a point, sure, but there were no fidonet systems in my area...

it took several months before i was able to even get a response from a NC and then it wasn't from the NC that it should have been from... basically, i'm in the boonies... i applied to the raleigh net because they were an extended local call to me... never heard a peep from that guy... i decided to apply to the fayetteville net and see what happened... if that fell through, the greensboro net was the next target...

i got a response from the fayetteville NC within a day or two... i explained my situation to the NC and that i'd be making all the calls to deliver and pick up my mail... he didn't have any problem listing me as a Pvt node and the rest is history... i'm now the NC of that net and that net covers the entire state of north carolina...

* some days i might have written 100+ responses to support message requests... that after an 8+ hour day at $job... after a new version of the software was released, there were days when i'd write easily double that number of messages... i was damned good at what i did... most all my messages provided the page numbers and which paragraphs needed to solve the problem described... that freely given support and attention to detail garnered me requests to join the beta teams for those products... i'm not as fast as i once was and i don't drink near the c0ffee that i did back then either ;)

)\/(ark

Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong...
    ... Don't share your telephone line with a woman!
    ---
  • From Lee Lofaso@2:203/2 to Björn Felten on Wed Jun 26 23:51:23 2019
    Hello Bj”rn,

you never heard of a private BBS? are you trying to tell dale how to
    run
    his system? can we all start telling you how to run your system??

No need to. Since we are gradually discarding parts of P4 we might as well discard of the entire 2.1.9 of P4 in one big swipe.

"Private listings impact each member of FidoNet, since they take up space in everyone's nodelist. Private listings which are for the convenience of one sysop (at the expense of every other sysop in FidoNet) are a luxury which is no longer possible."

Nowadays it seems to be, and has been, quite possible in certain parts of Fidonet for a long time...

Excellent observation(s). But there is more to it than that ...

--Lee

--
    Our Nuts, Your Mouth

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
    * Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)
  • From David Drummond@3:640/305 to mark lewis on Thu Jun 27 09:14:18 2019
    On 26/06/2019 18:39, mark lewis -> David Drummond wrote:

Today the size is not an issue, most of us are not paying anything to
    move it.

at least not outside the existing cost of maintaining an internet connection...

Do you pay volume related charges for your Internet connection, as in the more you move the more you pay?

--

Gang warily
    David

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.8.0
    * Origin: Bucca, Qld, Australia (3:640/305)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to David Drummond on Wed Jun 26 19:38:22 2019

On 2019 Jun 27 09:14:18, you wrote to me:

Today the size is not an issue, most of us are not paying anything
    to move it.

at least not outside the existing cost of maintaining an internet
    connection...

Do you pay volume related charges for your Internet connection, as in
    the more you move the more you pay?

nope... not at all... never have and never will... in fact, i'm paying the same cost now for 50M/5M as i did for 3M/768k... dialup was a bit lower but the additional cost to go faster via DSL was less than $10US so we stepped up...

)\/(ark

... He's dead, Jim. I have his tricorder, you get his wallet.
    ---