• & the day before today.

From Denis Mosko@2:5064/54.1315 to All on Tue Nov 10 11:27:44 2020

The weather wasn't bad, so I could get a nice enough crossbreeze to cook a piece of meat without smelling it for the rest of the day, so I elected
    to do that, to Andrew's delight.

There was one more nice giant sirloin strip in the freezer, so I pulled it out only to find that the vacuum sealer hadn't been totally right, so there was a touch of frost inside the bag. It was also slightly unevenly cut, but at least it didn't have bone shards in the bottom the way most of the ones from this Auchan come with (the other store has more expertly cut meat, but I get my prescriptions here).

Thawed it pretty much, browned the edges (it was as most of the steaks are thick enough to stand on edge in the pan), and cooked so the thick part was rare.

The thin end had had some of that frost and might not have been the tenderest, so being a relatively nice guy I took that for myself.

A pan sauce out of leftover Norton Malbec, the thickened juice from the Bourguignonne deliciousness, and, because it was there, a bit of rendered suet taking the place of butter. It transformed my end of the steak and might have improved Andrew's.

He also had a big baked potato, into which he shoveled nearly a stick of butter in two goes.

Considering the fragility of life, I pulled out the currently best wine in the house, Sarget de Gruaud-Larose 15. Back when, Talbot was my favorite, but for a while I took its stablemate Gruaud-Larose by preference (when my brother and b-i-l offered it), and latterly, life being what it is, it's the cadets Connetable Talbot and Sarget that are within my budget.

This was quite a fine (but not AS fine) wine, its blackberry blackcurrantness taming down with intriguing spice including a little clove and pepper coming out, worth sipping with the meat. It was almost as good and delicate a wine as to call for poultry (i.e., a pairing where the meat takes the back seat).

Andrews's carrot cake for afters, which was excellent, not too sweet, though she had frosted it with Martha Stewart's cream cheese frosting recipe, which calls for too much fat and not enough sugar.

Next day was one of the fifty four F high days, and I took my walk extra early, being whipped around by the wind; this guaranteed the dearth of insects, though some of the flies have evolved into formidable fliers.

The plan was to have leftover pizza, so I put it out to come to room temp. I figured a couple slices out of 5 (for some reason the parlor had cut it into nine wedges, which takes some thinking) would do me with a beer, but about as soon as I made that plan the lights went off.

Andrew got on the Internet via his phone (I think that costs extra, but this seemed justifiable) and found that the situation involved 73 customers. As it was lowery and unpleasant, I decided that an early retreat would make sense so had the covers up over my head by late afternoon. Andrew gave up as well an hour or two later, as her phone battery had pretty much given out.

SDGE had predicted the outage would be over by 1930, but it turned out to last until past normal bedtime. At about 2230 I smelled burning pizza and found the same ready for consumption, but I turned it down in favor of more rest. But hark, what was that in the distance? I heard large glucks of liquid and surmised that it was the remaining half bottle of Sarget from the night before. I rushed out and managed to get a last sip before it went away. I was just a tad sore that Andrew treated it as though it were $5 plonk - I'd not have been upset if he had consumed it all in my absence, if he'd done so in a slightly more aware manner than if it had been Diet Pepsi or Almaden. And Bordeaux does not go with pizza.

If I have told his once, I have told his a thousand times.

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20120519 (Kubik 3.0)
    * Origin: В начале было слово. В конце будет ориджин. (2:5064/54.1315)
  • From Dallas Hinton@1:153/7715 to Denis Mosko on Tue Nov 10 11:25:46 2020
    Hi, Denis -- on Nov 10 2020 at 11:27, you wrote:

The weather wasn't bad, so I could get a nice enough crossbreeze to
    cook a piece of meat without smelling it for the rest of the day, so
    I elected to do that, to Andrew's delight.

[...]

Ok, mildly amusing - but why post it here if there are no questions about it?

Cheers... Dallas

--- timEd/NT 1.30+
    * Origin: The BandMaster, Vancouver, CANADA (1:153/7715)
  • From Ardith Hinton@1:153/716 to Denis Mosko on Tue Nov 10 17:12:58 2020
    Hi, Denis! Recently you wrote in a message to All:

and, because it was there, a bit of rendered suet
    taking the place of butter.

Suet = the hard fat around the kidneys or loins of cattle, sheep, etc. I was hesitant to use words like this because I didn't know whether you would find them useful... but apparently you would.

Now, what Dallas & I need to know is whether you wrote this story yourself & are open to suggestion from others or you're quoting something you read. We're both quite happy to help people who have been with us since time immemorial, but we make no attempt to edit everything we see. :-)

--- timEd/386 1.10.y2k+
    * Origin: Wits' End, Vancouver CANADA (1:153/716)
  • From Denis Mosko@2:5064/54.1315 to Dallas Hinton on Wed Nov 11 04:45:38 2020
    Dallas!

The weather wasn't bad, so I could get a nice enough crossbreeze
    to cook a piece of meat without smelling it for the rest of the
    day, so I elected to do that, to Andrew's delight.
    [...]
    Ok, mildly amusing - but why post it here if there are no questions
    about it?
    What is suet?

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20120519 (Kubik 3.0)
    * Origin: В начале было слово. В конце будет ориджин. (2:5064/54.1315)
  • From Ardith Hinton@1:153/716 to Denis Mosko on Tue Nov 10 19:42:22 2020
    Hi, Denis! Recently you wrote in a message to Dallas Hinton:

Ok, mildly amusing - but why post it here if there are
    no questions about it?

What is suet?

Bingo!

Now here's another example which I think you may be ready for. Lard = the clarified fat of pigs, also used in cooking. :-)

--- timEd/386 1.10.y2k+
    * Origin: Wits' End, Vancouver CANADA (1:153/716)