• tablet for senior with arthritis, anyone?

From August Abolins@2:460/256 to All on Tue Jul 12 06:06:52 2022
    Hi All...

Has anyone here set up a tablet for a senior relative/friend successfully?

My application would be primarily to give the user the ability to participate in accessing pics over Facebook from family members. Combined with a case where the person can keep the unit propped up at a table next to them, I'm thinking that would work.

The Kindle Fire HD 10" seems like a good fit. Anyone here have experience with it?

Ciao!
    /|ug (https://t.me/aabolins)

--- Want fido for iOS/MacOS/Android/Win/Linux? Info=https://shrtco.de/tpJ9yV
    * Origin: Fido by Telegram BBS from Stas Mishchenkov (2:460/256)
  • From Richard Miles@2:460/256 to August Abolins on Wed Jul 13 14:49:43 2022
    ==subj: tablet for senior with arthritis, anyone?==
    Has anyone here set up a tablet for a senior relative/friend successfully?
    My application would be primarily to give the user the ability to participate in accessing pics over Facebook from family members. Combined with a case where the person can keep the unit propped up at a table next to them, I'm thinking that would work.
    The Kindle Fire HD 10" seems like a good fit. Anyone here have experience with it?

I've got a couple of Fire HD 10s mounted next to light switches in my home automation setup. Another I'm working on that will be for media control and photo screensaver for the living room. I really like them and they would be useful for your case.

You may want to do a search for Fire Tablet Toolbox (I think that's the name of the top of my head.) It allows you to add Google Play Services and the Play store, disable most of the Amazon apps, disable the lock screen ads, etc. Do not have to be rooted to use it.
    --- tg BBS v0.7.1
    * Origin: Fido by Telegram BBS from Stas Mishchenkov (2:460/256)
  • From august abolins@2:221/1.59 to Richard Miles on Tue Nov 8 22:36:43 2022

You may want to do a search for Fire Tablet Toolbox (I think that's the name of the top of my head.) It allows you to add Google Play Services and the Play store, disable most of the Amazon apps, disable the lock screen ads, etc. Do not have to be rooted to use it.

Thanks for the FT Toolbox tip. I've acquired the HD 10 model of the tablet. I'd like to install Telegram (to support private messaging as opposed to relying on Facebook Messenger, and Toolbox ought to assist in that goal. Thx.
    --- AfterShock/Android 1.6.11
    * Origin: Mobile Pix (2:221/1.59)
  • From Richard Miles@1:3634/24 to august abolins on Fri Nov 11 20:14:30 2022
    On 08 Nov 2022, august abolins said the following...

Thanks for the FT Toolbox tip. I've acquired the HD 10 model of the tablet. I'd like to install Telegram (to support private messaging as opposed to relying on Facebook Messenger, and Toolbox ought to assist in that goal. Thx. --- AfterShock/Android 1.6.11

Hopefully that helped out. It was a lifesaver for me.

-=>Richard Miles<=-
    -=>Captain Obvious<=-
    -=>bbs.shadowscope.com<=-

... On the other hand, you have different fingers.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/08/19 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Shadowscope BBS | bbs.shadowscope.com | Temple, GA (1:3634/24)