• Book: Sid Meier's Memoir! A Life in Computer Games

From August Abolins@2:221/6 to All on Sun Apr 23 05:58:10 2023
    Sid Meier's Memoir!: A Life in Computer Games | Paperback
    Sid Meier
    WW Norton
    Biography & Autobiography / Personal Memoirs / Business / Science & Technology Published Sep 7, 2021

"The life and career of the legendary developer celebrated as the “godfather of computer gaming,” and creator of Civilization.

"Over his four-decade career, Sid Meier has produced some of the world’s most popular video games, including Sid Meier’s Civilization, which has sold more than 51 million units worldwide and accumulated more than one billion hours of play. Sid Meier’s Memoir! is the story of an obsessive young computer enthusiast who helped launch a multibillion-dollar industry. Writing with warmth and ironic humor, Meier describes the genesis of his influential studio, MicroProse, founded in 1982 after a trip to a Las Vegas arcade, and recounts the development of landmark games, from vintage classics like Pirates! and Railroad Tycoon, to Civilization and beyond.

"Articulating his philosophy that a video game should be “a series of interesting decisions,” Meier also shares his perspective on the history of the industry, the psychology of gamers, and fascinating insights into the creative process, including his rules of good game design.

CONTENTS

ONE BILLION HOURS: An Introduction
    1. WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS
    2. ADAPTATION
    3. CRUISING ALTITUDE
    4. D-DAY
    5. COLLECTIVE EFFORT
    6. AHOY!
    7. AND THEN BILL BOUGHT AN AIRPLANE
    8. OVERT PROTRACTION
    9. HANG ON A SECOND
    10. ALL ABOARD
    11. HISTORY OF CIVILIZATION, PART I
    12. TURNING POINTS
    13. IF IT AIN'T BAROQUE
    14. SEQUEL-ISH
    15. THE DISPERSING
    16. INTERESTING DECISIONS
    17. BACK TO THE FUTURE
    18. EXTINCTION
    19. ARTIFICIAL TURF
    20. INTO THE WIND
    21. HIGHER EDUCATION
    22. FUZZY MATH
    23. SOCIAL MOBILITY
    24. FUNNY BUSINESS
    25. BEYOND
    Special Thanks!
    Sid Meier’s Complete Gameography!
    Index!

An exerpt from the Introduction..

"What follows is a largely chronological examination of all the games I’ve produced over my lifetime, from the wildly successful to the completely unheard of. It’s a thorough list, including a few that were developed outside the traditional career model where you do things like “make money” and “get sued if you copy other people’s ideas.” Just as every sprawling empire can be traced back to a single settler, my reputation as a benevolent industry patriarch wasn’t built in a day, and the truth is I was once a young kid who didn’t know there were rules, making games out of not-so-original ideas for maximum fun and minimum (often nonexistent) profit. Fortunately, I’ve been told the statute of limitations has expired, so I’m ready to come clean. But whether they took a billion lines of code—not an impossible estimate for all of the Civ products combined—or less than a hundred, there is one thing every game in this book has in common. They are fundamenta
    lly comprised, as all games are, of a series of interesting decisions.

---
    * Origin: nntp://news.fidonet.fi (2:221/6.0)