• Re: Battle of Britian: Th

From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES STEPHENSON on Sat Sep 28 08:43:00 2019
    The only minor experience on a mac was when I was in grade school when we had >the IIe to play around with. I've seen a few macbooks. I think I actually read
    someplace that MacOS is sorta based on linux/unix too?

The underpinnings are based on BSD. For a while anyway, it was available (minus the apple GUI on top) as an opensource project called Darwin.

---
    * SLMR 2.1a * Why is the word abbreviation so long?
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Joacim Melin@2:221/242 to Mike Powell on Sat Sep 28 21:01:44 2019
    The only minor experience on a mac was when I was in grade school when we had

the IIe to play around with. I've seen a few macbooks. I think I actually re
    ad
    someplace that MacOS is sorta based on linux/unix too?

The underpinnings are based on BSD. For a while anyway, it was
    available
    (minus the apple GUI on top) as an opensource project called Darwin.

The whole app bundle model comes from NeXTSTEP, as does the Mach kernel which NeXT (I believe) was among the first commercial software vendors to adopt. Macos / OS X has a lot of FreeBSD components in it though so you are correct there, but the basics of it comes from the NeXT days.

--- NiKom v2.5.0
    * Origin: Delta City (deltacity.se, Vallentuna, Sweden) (2:221/242.0)
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/16 to Mike Powell on Sat Oct 26 02:11:16 2019
    On Oct 6th 4:49 am Mike Powell said...
    we had >the IIe to play around with. I've seen a few macbooks. I think I actually read >someplace that MacOS is sorta based on linux/unix too?

The underpinnings are based on BSD. For a while anyway, it was available (minus the apple GUI on top) as an opensource project called Darwin.

--- * SLMR 2.1a * Why is the word abbreviation so long? * Origin:

I just read a article about MacOS about a day ago. It was pretty good reading!
    I've never really played arouund with a modern Apple PC. I've been wanting to for a long time. Atleast the older models before they went to Intel Chipset..

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.10-alpha (linux; x64; 10.15.2)
    * Origin: The Amiga Frontier BBS |frontierbbs.net:8888| OH (1:226/16)
  • From August Abolins@2:221/360 to Charles Stephenson on Sat Oct 26 18:50:52 2019
    On 26/10/2019 2:11 a.m., Charles Stephenson : Mike Powell wrote:

I just read a article about MacOS about a day ago. It was pretty good reading!  I've never really played arouund with a modern Apple PC. I've
    been wanting to for a long time. Atleast the older models before they
    went to Intel Chipset..

I ended up with a iMac G3 (the all-in-one egg-shaped design) when the previous owner had a "forgot the password" issue, around 2010 (I think).

With some help from a fellow fidonet echo friend, I managed to get one of the earlier OSX OSes on it.

I imagined putting it on display at my shop and allow people to browse inventory or a local webserver. But the CRT display technology is a power hog and would contribute extra cost to run. The darn thing is pretty heavy too.

The ethernet port seems to be defective. But usb/wi-fi dongle could work.

Sadly, it will need to make a visit to the landfill museum.

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.9.0
    * Origin: nntp://rbb.fidonet.fi - Lake Ylo - Finland (2:221/360)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to CHARLES STEPHENSON on Sat Oct 26 18:06:00 2019
    I just read a article about MacOS about a day ago. It was pretty good reading!
    I've never really played arouund with a modern Apple PC. I've been wanting to >for a long time. Atleast the older models before they went to Intel Chipset..

Several years ago, when they first came out, I thought about getting a Mac
    Mini (I think that is what they are called) but never did. That was as
    close as I came to ever obtaining one.

Mike

---
    * SLMR 2.1a * Usually a man with flowers has deflowering in mind...
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/16 to Mike Powell on Mon Oct 28 08:53:19 2019

On Oct 26th 8:00 pm Mike Powell said...
    I just read a article about MacOS about a day ago. It was pretty good reading! >I've never really played arouund with a modern Apple PC. I've been wanting to >for a long time. Atleast the older models before they went to Intel Chipset..

Several years ago, when they first came out, I thought about getting a Mac Mini (I think that is what they are called) but never did. That was as close as I came to ever obtaining one.

I randomly go to thrift stores. I've ran into 2 iMacs, both didn't have the keyboards. I thought about getting one and seeing if I could find a keyboard on eBay or someplace. I still might go get it! The one has been sitting for awhile...

• From Joacim Melin@2:221/242 to Charles Stephenson on Wed Oct 30 08:13:12 2019

On Oct 26th 8:00 pm Mike Powell said...
    I just read a article about MacOS about a day ago. It was pretty good
    reading! >I've never really played arouund with a modern Apple PC. I've
    been wanting to >for a long time. Atleast the older models before they
    went to Intel Chipset..

Several years ago, when they first came out, I thought about getting a
    Mac Mini (I think that is what they are called) but never did. That was

as close as I came to ever obtaining one.

I randomly go to thrift stores. I've ran into 2 iMacs, both didn't
    have the keyboards. I thought about getting one and seeing if I
    could find a keyboard on eBay or someplace. I still might go get it!
    The one has been sitting for awhile...

You can use any USB keyboard and mouse with Mac OS X / Macos, regardless if it was made for a PC or a Mac. Some keys will need re-mapping in software (easy to do in the system configuration) though.

--- NiKom v2.5.0
    * Origin: Delta City (deltacity.se, Vallentuna, Sweden) (2:221/242.0)
  • From August Abolins@2:221/360 to Charles Stephenson on Fri Nov 1 05:40:12 2019
    In a post between "Charles Stephenson : Mike Powell", on 10/28/2019 8:53 AM

could find a keyboard on eBay or someplace. I still might go get
    it! The one has been sitting for awhile...

I use the keyboard from my fruity egg-shaped iMac G3 when I need a handy numeric keypad for doing my bookkeeping on my mostly used Thinkpad T60 laptop.
    I am impressed with the quality of the iMac keyboard. Very firm construction. It is a bit heavier than today's stand-alone keyboards. It has two USB ports on the ends at the top edge that act like a mini usb hub. The keyboard has a slight concave curvature. The keys feels "just right".

Good luck in your search.

...A

--- Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (Windows/20100228)
    * Origin: nntp://rbb.fidonet.fi - Lake Ylo - Finland (2:221/360)
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/16 to Joacim Melin on Mon Nov 4 04:43:24 2019

On Oct 30th 5:43 pm Joacim Melin said...

I randomly go to thrift stores. I've ran into 2 iMacs, both
    didn't
    could find a keyboard on eBay or someplace. I still might go get it!

You can use any USB keyboard and mouse with Mac OS X / Macos, regardless if it was made for a PC or a Mac. Some keys will need re-mapping in software (easy to do in the system configuration) though.

Hmm, didn't know that! I'm for SURE going to have to go get that beauty then! :)

• From Charles Stephenson@1:226/16 to August Abolins on Mon Nov 4 04:46:08 2019

On Nov 1st 7:07 am August Abolins said...
    it! The one has been sitting for awhile...

I use the keyboard from my fruity egg-shaped iMac G3 when I need a handy numeric keypad for doing my bookkeeping on my mostly used Thinkpad T60 laptop. I am impressed with the quality of the iMac keyboard. Very firm construction. It is a bit heavier than today's stand-alone keyboards. It has two USB ports on the ends at the top edge that act like a mini usb hub. The keyboard has a slight concave curvature. The keys feels "just right".

Nice! I've never even used one of them, I remember as a kid always wanting one. Who knows, maybe after I buy it, I can find a original keyboard from eBay. I miss the old keyboards at times. they always seemed so sturdy!

Good luck in your search.

Thanks! :)

• From Charles Stephenson@1:226/17 to August Abolins on Mon Apr 20 20:29:35 2020
    Re: Mac - before they went to Intel Chipset
    By: August Abolins to Charles Stephenson on Sat Oct 26 2019 06:50 pm

I ended up with a iMac G3 (the all-in-one egg-shaped design) when the previous owner had a "forgot the password" issue, around 2010 (I think).

With some help from a fellow fidonet echo friend, I managed to get one of the earlier OSX OSes on it.

I remember when iMacs came out, it was a DREAM to own one! I went to grade school in Brooklyn, NY and one of my classes had a TSR-80, another had an iMac. When I saw that, I KNEW computers would be in my future!
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS [frontierbbs.net:23] - OH (1:226/17)
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/17 to Joacim Melin on Mon Apr 20 20:33:34 2020
    Re: Re: Battle of Britian: Th
    By: Joacim Melin to Charles Stephenson on Wed Oct 30 2019 08:13 am

could find a keyboard on eBay or someplace. I still might go get
    it!

You can use any USB keyboard and mouse with Mac OS X / Macos, regardless if it was made for a PC or a Mac. Some keys will need re-mapping in software (easy to
    do in the system configuration) though.

I ended up thinking about that computer for a WEEK, debating if I should buy it or not. after 2 weeks of pussy-footing around I went back to that store happy and confident it would still be there and I'd finally have one of my dream computers only to be disappointed!

I asked a store clerk about it, she said it was sold like 3 days before I got there, I wanted to kick myself in the balls. :(
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS [frontierbbs.net:23] - OH (1:226/17)
  • From Alan Beck@1:229/426.36 to All on Tue Apr 21 06:45:34 2020
    Around 1984 I was walking around my College and saw a big glass room, full of keyboards and boxes with TV's on top of the, at least that's what they looked like.

I realised, this is the future, I had better learn to type, so I took typing in a room full of women (felt wierd)I learned on those electric IBM typewriters.

I just recently sold my C64 stuff to pay for ham radio toys.

Cheers,
    Alan

I am older now.

Re: Mac - before they went to Intel Chipset By: August Abolins to Charles Stephenson on Sat Oct 26 2019 06:50 pm

I ended up with a iMac G3 (the all-in-one egg-shaped design) when the
    previous owner had a "forgot the password" issue, around 2010 (I think).

With some help from a fellow fidonet echo friend, I managed to get one
    of the earlier OSX OSes on it.

I remember when iMacs came out, it was a DREAM to own one! I went to
    grade school in Brooklyn, NY and one of my classes had a TSR-80, another had an iMac. When I saw that, I KNEW computers would be in my future!
    -+- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    @ ORIGINAL: The New Frontier ][ BBS [frontierbbs.net:23] - OH (1:226/17)

--- WinPoint Beta 5 (359.1)
    * Origin: WinPoint (1:229/426.36)
  • From Alan Beck@1:229/426.36 to Charles Stephenson on Tue Apr 21 06:49:47 2020
    My stratagy is to dump in in a cart and wander around thinking.

I have found many useful things at thrift stores.

Missed out on an Atari game emulator. Put it down turned the corner, went back and it was gone.

Cheers,

Alan

Re: Re: Battle of Britian: Th By: Joacim Melin to Charles Stephenson on Wed Oct 30 2019 08:13 am

I randomly go to thrift stores. I've ran into 2 iMacs, both didn't have
    the keyboards. I thought about getting one and seeing if I could find
    a keyboard on eBay or someplace. I still might go get it! The one has
    been sitting for awhile...

You can use any USB keyboard and mouse with Mac OS X / Macos, regardless
    if it was made for a PC or a Mac. Some keys will need re-mapping in
    software (easy to do in the system configuration) though.

I ended up thinking about that computer for a WEEK, debating if I should buy it or not. after 2 weeks of pussy-footing around I went back to that store happy and confident it would still be there and I'd finally have
    one of my dream computers only to be disappointed!

I asked a store clerk about it, she said it was sold like 3 days before I got there, I wanted to kick myself in the balls. :(
    -+- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    @ ORIGINAL: The New Frontier ][ BBS [frontierbbs.net:23] - OH (1:226/17)

--- WinPoint Beta 5 (359.1)
    * Origin: WinPoint (1:229/426.36)
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/16 to Alan Beck on Tue Apr 21 19:46:02 2020

On Apr 21st 7:30 am Alan Beck said...
    Around 1984 I was walking around my College and saw a big glass room, full of keyboards and boxes with TV's on top of the, at least that's what they looked like.

I realised, this is the future, I had better learn to type, so I took typing in a room full of women (felt wierd)I learned on those electric IBM typewriters.

*Smile*

I kind of had the same idea you had, 2 years later than you! I was a sophmore in HS and I took a typing class BECAUSE it was full of females! The computer class was next door, which I got interested in after thinking those were some cool 'things' to try out. :)

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.11-beta (linux; x64; 10.15.2)
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/16 to Alan Beck on Tue Apr 21 19:48:14 2020

On Apr 21st 7:30 am Alan Beck said...
    My stratagy is to dump in in a cart and wander around thinking.

I have found many useful things at thrift stores.

Missed out on an Atari game emulator. Put it down turned the corner, went back and it was gone.

I also LOVE thrift stores! I've noticed something alot of the ones in my area, have been haviang an ABUNDANCE of older cable modems and wifi cable modems. too bad I can't think of anything to do with them

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.11-beta (linux; x64; 10.15.2)