• BBBS on Raspberry Pi4?

From Torbjorn Mohn@2:222/2 to All on Tue Jan 28 12:11:36 2020
    Has anyone had any experiance setting up BBBS on a Raspberry Pi? I have a couple of Pi 4s to play with, but very little (if any) Linux experience, so this may be a complete wild shot.

But if there is anyone out there which has some information on how to get started, may be one day my BBS will be back?

Torbjørn

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: * BCG-Box, On The Air Since 11th February 1987! * (2:222/2)
  • From Sean Rima@2:263/1.950 to Torbjorn Mohn on Tue Jan 28 13:03:33 2020

Has anyone had any experiance setting up BBBS on a Raspberry Pi? I have a couple of Pi 4s to play with, but very little (if any) Linux experience, so this may be a complete wild shot.

But if there is anyone out there which has some information on how to get started, may be one day my BBS will be back?

I used to have it set up under a Pi3 but switched to a fanless Linux box.

Just make sure the environment settings are set, I think you need to add the user to the dialout group to use certain ports. Just at boot up use a cron entry to start both the daemon and dialout. I tend to use bbbs 1 1 TCPIP and ensure that the dialout and slow protocols are set

Others may be better than me at explaining

Sean
    --- AfterShock/Android 1.6.7
    * Origin: TCOB1 on the mobile (2:263/1.950)
  • From Vince Coen@2:2/21 to Torbjorn Mohn on Tue Jan 28 15:50:24 2020
    Hello Torbjorn!

Tuesday January 28 2020 12:11, you wrote to All:

Has anyone had any experiance setting up BBBS on a Raspberry Pi? I
    have a couple of Pi 4s to play with, but very little (if any) Linux experience, so this may be a complete wild shot.

But if there is anyone out there which has some information on how to
    get started, may be one day my BBS will be back?

I have a pi 3B+ with an attached hard drive in a x830 case etc. The system was migrated over using
    the standard tool for installing on a SD card, then the SD was removed and the system boot to the
    drive. A lot faster.

O/S is Rasbian current version as far as I know and I run mbse as a back up / parallel system.

I see no reason why bbbs should not work PROVIDING you can get a version for ARM processors and even
    better for the Pi.

You cannot use one for X64 Intel/AMD based CPU's.

If all that is good then just follow the instruction manual etc and look at what extra libraries are
    needed.

Vince

--- Mageia Linux v7.1 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.13/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:2/21)
  • From Chris Costakis@2:222/2 to Torbjorn Mohn on Tue Jan 28 14:07:20 2020
    Has anyone had any experiance setting up BBBS on a Raspberry Pi?
    I have a couple of Pi 4s to play with, but very little (if any) Linux experience, so this may be a complete wild shot.
    Torbjørn

I have it running on my Pi 4. I would recommend imaging an sdcard with Raspbian.
    Once youÆve done that, itÆs a fairly straightforward path to login and download the BBBS Linux package and apply the ARM update binaries over it. The rest of the configuration seems to be just like it is with any of the other BBBS supported platforms. Good luck! The RPi 4 is fun little machine to play with.

Best,
    Chris

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: * BCG-Box, On The Air Since 11th February 1987! * (2:222/2)
  • From Robert Wolfe@1:261/20 to Torbjorn Mohn on Sat Feb 15 20:00:42 2020

Actually, it is no different than the other Linux versions. You just have a different distro of Linux to run it on.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: Omicron Theta/X * Memphis, TN * bbs2.winserver.org (1:261/20)