• all for one

From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001 to Alexandre Dumas on Fri Aug 30 17:48:07 2019
    Hey Alexandre!

A triad of tests just for my own amusement. I already see that one of them worked but then again it has nothing to do with the usual suspects.

😍: f0 9f 98 8d : SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES
    🙍: f0 9f 99 8d : PERSON FROWNING

Life is good,
    Maurice

... Don't cry for me I have vi.
    --- GNU bash, version 5.0.11(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
    * Origin: Little Mikey's Brain - Ladysmith BC, Canada (1:153/7001)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Maurice Kinal on Fri Aug 30 11:18:32 2019
    Hey Alexandre!

A triad of tests just for my own amusement. I already see that one of them worked but then again it has nothing to do with the usual suspects.

Thanks for posting. I was starting to wonder if my link was broken.. :)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12 to Maurice Kinal on Fri Aug 30 14:51:31 2019
    Re: all for one
    By: Maurice Kinal to Alexandre Dumas on Fri Aug 30 2019 17:48:07

A triad of tests just for my own amusement. I already see that one of them
    worked but then again it has nothing to do with the usual suspects.

: f0 9f 98 8d : SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES
    : f0 9f 99 8d : PERSON FROWNING

i see them fine in my ssh console into the BBS... they don't appear in this editor properly but i hope they will in the final posted reply...

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.08-Linux
    * Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)
  • From Maurice Kinal@2:280/464.113 to Maurice Kinal on Fri Aug 30 20:31:31 2019
    Hallo Maurice!

I already see that one of them worked but then again it has
    nothing to do with the usual suspects.

Bingo! All three tests passed with flying colours. First and foremost the bash upgrade, secondly the long lines were preserved, and last but definetly not least, the 0x8d trailing bytes in the 32-bit characters were not deleted which means they are still valid utf-8 characters. However I still cannot view them due to the lack of a suitable consolefont but they did survive which is always good thing. :::patent pending:::

I like it.

Het leven is goed,
    Maurice

... Huil niet om mij, ik heb vi.
    * Origin: Little Mikey's EuroPoint - Ladysmith BC, Canada (2:280/464.113)
  • From Maurice Kinal@2:280/464.113 to Alan Ianson on Fri Aug 30 20:39:53 2019
    Hallo Alan!

I was starting to wonder if my link was broken

You're welcome, and thank you for what appears from this angle to be at least two major fixes which were beyond my control.

I am planning a rewrite of WeBeBashing - mostly archiving of msgs - but was going to wait until I was sure the dust had settled on a couple of outstanding issues. I think we're ontrack. :-)

Het leven is goed,
    Maurice

• From Maurice Kinal@2:280/464.113 to mark lewis on Fri Aug 30 20:47:46 2019
    Hallo mark!

they don't appear in this editor properly but i hope they will in
    the final posted reply

Given you're replying with an editor with "CHRS: CP437 2" set, which is an 8-bit character encoding and the original characters were 32-bit, then the answer is that they are no longer what they were intended to be. I see them both as 0xa8 in your quote which in CP437-speak is the upside down question mark. There are no emoticons in CP437 so the original characters cannot be converted to CP437 ... or any other 8-bit IBM/MS character sets that I am aware of.

From my perspective the true quote test will come from Nancy since she has a real text editor (emacs) that doesn't mess with characters despite the fact she also lacks suitable fonts to view them. So unless her offline host has the "loses an eye" bug everything should be okee-dokee.

Het leven is goed,
    Maurice

• From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Maurice Kinal on Fri Aug 30 14:53:32 2019
    You're welcome, and thank you for what appears from this angle to be at
    least
    two major fixes which were beyond my control.

Still problems there but we just haven't seen it.

I haven't seen James around lately but when he's around we'll let him know what we've been seeing so those problems can be looked at.

I am planning a rewrite of WeBeBashing - mostly archiving of msgs - but was
    going to wait until I was sure the dust had settled on a couple of outstanding
    issues. I think we're ontrack. :-)

Excellent.. keep up the good work.. :)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001 to Alan Ianson on Fri Aug 30 22:27:56 2019
    Hey Alan!

Still problems there but we just haven't seen it.

Hopefully it will stay that way. ;-) I am liking what I am seeing.

keep up the good work

You too. Lately I haven't done much with the fidonet stuff but I do plan to start (again) soon. Right now I am waiting for Nancy to do a proper quote of the two 32-bit characters I sent, both of which have the 0x8d trailing bytes at the end which I am hoping will survive the offline door as well as the path her msgs follow. Now that I think about it I should have sent one 32-bit character that *doesn't* have the 0x8d trailing byte in it just for verification. Next time.

Life is good,
    Maurice

• From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Maurice Kinal on Fri Aug 30 20:18:34 2019

On 2019 Aug 30 20:47:46, you wrote to me:

they don't appear in this editor properly but i hope they will in the
    final posted reply

Given you're replying with an editor with "CHRS: CP437 2" set,

that is a flaw that has been corrected IIUC... i should update my system to get the latest bleeding edge code... i'm ~12 days behind right now...

which is an 8-bit character encoding and the original characters were 32-bit, then the answer is that they are no longer what they were
    intended to be.

funny thing is they worked previously in both reading and writing but code changes...

I see them both as 0xa8 in your quote which in CP437-speak is the
    upside down question mark.

yup... that's what i saw in the editor...

There are no emoticons in CP437 so the original characters cannot be converted to CP437 ... or any other 8-bit IBM/MS character sets that I
    am aware of.

true... to a point... they can be converted but not to a single glyph...

From my perspective the true quote test will come from Nancy since she
    has a real text editor (emacs) that doesn't mess with characters
    despite the fact she also lacks suitable fonts to view them. So
    unless her offline host has the "loses an eye" bug everything should
    be okee-dokee.

this also depends on which system she quotes from... i know that she visits like 4 or 5 BBS systems most every day...

)\/(ark

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
    ... Zeal without knowledge is fire without light.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001 to mark lewis on Sat Aug 31 03:17:16 2019
    Hey mark!

Sorry that this "reply" is missing a REPLY kludge but I screwed up and accidently deleted your msg while attempting a new fangled cp437 conversion dealie. Hopefully this msg does a better job. :::knock on wood:::

i'm ~12 days behind right now

Not bad. From what I've see most of fidonet is at least 2 decades out of step, probably closer to 3 decades. ;-)

they can be converted but not to a single glyph

That is why I put the hex codes instead of the corresponding unicode. So for "PERSON FROWNING" on a CP437 display you should see that f0 = , 9f = , 99 = , and 8d = , which is the infamous "loses an eye" character. Where your editor got the single upside down question mark seems odd to me, especially for both the emoticons which are different from each other albiet both containing the 0x8d trailing byte, which is one of the tests.

Life is good,
    Maurice

• From mark lewis@1:3634/12 to Maurice Kinal on Fri Aug 30 23:40:02 2019
    By: Maurice Kinal to mark lewis on Sat Aug 31 2019 03:17:16

i'm ~12 days behind right now

Not bad. From what I've see most of fidonet is at least 2 decades out of
    step,
    probably closer to 3 decades. ;-)

hahaha, they're also not running actively developed systems straight out of CVS ;)

they can be converted but not to a single glyph

That is why I put the hex codes instead of the corresponding unicode.

right... what i meant was they could be converted to the ASCII representations :) or :-) and .) or .-) or whatever fits the emoticon being used...

So for "PERSON FROWNING" on a CP437 display you should see that f0 = , 9f
    = , 99 = , and 8d = , which is the infamous "loses an eye" character.

not familiar with that "loses an eye" one... frown might be }:| or similar where the } is furrowed eyebrows... sometimes it is also used for horns as in anger...

Where your editor got the single upside down question mark seems odd to
    me,

actually it is quite common... a character is chosen and used to represent glyphs that cannot be converted... in this case, the upsidedown question mark is used...

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.08-Linux
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001.2989 to mark lewis on Sat Aug 31 06:40:24 2019
    Hey mark!

they're also not running actively developed systems straight out
    of CVS

No doubt about that.

not familiar with that "loses an eye" one

Huh? I learned about that one from you, although I named it given it's resemblence to an 'i'. There were some msgs within this echo that demonstrated the deletion of it by questionable tossers.

a character is chosen and used to represent glyphs that cannot be converted

Ah! In the case here, it is the regular question mark excepy black on a white background and is used only for characters that cannot be displayed. It has nothing to do with conversion and the original character code is unaffected. I see your quote of the cp437 characters I sent were retained and that should have been the same when quoting back the utf-8 emoticons. I know for a fact that both QEdit and uemacs, which are both DOS based old school 16-bit editors, can handle this just fine.

Speaking of upgrades, I see below in the tearline that ye olde raspi needs to be brought up to speed. Maybe tomorrow. It's only a day away.

Life is good,
    Maurice

--- GNU bash, version 5.0.7(1)-release (aarch64-raspi3b+-linux-gnu)
    * Origin: Little Mikey's CanadARM - Ladysmith BC, Canada (1:153/7001.2989)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Maurice Kinal on Sun Sep 1 11:27:52 2019

On 2019 Aug 31 06:40:24, you wrote to me:

not familiar with that "loses an eye" one

Huh? I learned about that one from you, although I named it given it's resemblence to an 'i'. There were some msgs within this echo that demonstrated the deletion of it by questionable tossers.

i thought you were talking about an emoticon... that i character is not an emoticon ;)

a character is chosen and used to represent glyphs that cannot be
    converted

Ah! In the case here, it is the regular question mark excepy black on a white background and is used only for characters that cannot be
    displayed.

yeah, like i said, someone doing the conversion code chooses a character to represent untranslated glyphs... in a lot of cases (winwhatever i think) the character is an empty rectangular box... it seems to depend on the font used by the displaying tool...

)\/(ark

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
    ... A day without turnips is . . . a day without turnips.
    ---
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001.2989 to mark lewis on Sun Sep 1 16:46:32 2019
    Hey mark!

i thought you were talking about an emoticon... that i character
    is not an emoticon ;)

Two of the 8 bytes are. In fact the last trailing byte in each of the 32-bit emoticons sent which is why I specifically picked those two emoticons since they both end in 0x8d from an 8-bit perspective (eg "CHRS: CP437 2"). No?

it seems to depend on the font used by the displaying tool

The empty recangular box would work for me. However it should only print on the screen and not replace the actual glyph (<-whatever) in the msg, or a reply, containing that glyph. That is why I no longer use msged for fidonet messaging since it will corrupt utf-8 codes within quotes, whereas DOS-think editors such as QEdit and uemacs simply return them unscathed, including the infamous "loses an eye" character 0x8d.

Life is good,
    Maurice

--- GNU bash, version 5.0.11(1)-release (aarch64-raspi3b+-linux-gnu)
    * Origin: Little Mikey's CanadARM - Ladysmith BC, Canada (1:153/7001.2989)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Maurice Kinal on Sun Sep 1 15:34:40 2019

On 2019 Sep 01 16:46:32, you wrote to me:

i thought you were talking about an emoticon... that i character
    is not an emoticon ;)

Two of the 8 bytes are. In fact the last trailing byte in each of the 32-bit emoticons sent which is why I specifically picked those two emoticons since they both end in 0x8d from an 8-bit perspective (eg
    "CHRS:
    CP437 2"). No?

okaaaay... but i was taking them as a whole and not in parts and pieces :shrug:

it seems to depend on the font used by the displaying tool

The empty recangular box would work for me. However it should only print on the screen and not replace the actual glyph (<-whatever) in the msg,
    or
    a reply, containing that glyph.

ok so how do you propose to do that from a BBS? how can the proper characters be sent to a logged in user's dumb terminal that cannot translate on its own? AFAIK, you cannot... the BBS has to do the translation and the editor has to work with what is sent to the user's terminal so the glyphs are properly rendered in the editor as they are in the reader...

)\/(ark

... My other computer is an Osborne! ;*)
    ---
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001 to mark lewis on Sun Sep 1 20:44:33 2019
    Hey mark!

but i was taking them as a whole and not in parts and pieces

From a cp437 terminal? Not very likely it can differentiate 32-bit characters. From what I have seen a 32-bit character will appear as four 8-bit characters on any terminal application no matter what it thinks the character set is ... unless you're on a utf-8 terminal using a crippled editor such as msged or golded which can display them as single characters and then it will break them when quoting them back. That is what happened with me when I first started playing with the possibility of utf-8 fidonet messaging.

so how do you propose to do that from a BBS?

I don't. I gave up on BBS's back around 1996-ish. They were already out of step once MS broke their ansi terminals sometime before then. They were never in sync with linux or any of the BSD terminals that I was aware of. I did have a 'fix' for logging into ansi BBS's but I never did like it much. As far as fidonet messaging goes I'd say offlining is it's only hope. Nancy has the right idea.

what is sent to the user's terminal so the glyphs are properly
    rendered in the editor as they are in the reader...

And what encoding would that be? cp437? I have yet to see that work across the board, nevermind utf-8.

Just for fun here is what dmidecode has to say about every motherboard for the last umpteen, 20-ish maybe more, years about this issue;

-={ ye olde cut n' paste starts }=-
    BIOS Language Information
    Language Description Format: Long
    Installable Languages: 1
    en|US|iso8859-1
    Currently Installed Language: en|US|iso8859-1
    -={ ye olde cut n' paste ends }=-

IBM fscked up over 30 years ago (1988-ish) methinks and fidonet made the mistake of using their crap ever since, CP437 being the best evidence of that.
    Mind you MS totally screwed up iso8859-1 by making people believe in LATIN-1 being iso8859-1 so even the ISO people didn't escape the so-called high/upper ascii scam. :::an evil grin that no emoticon has [yet] been created for:::

Life is good,
    Maurice

• From mark lewis@1:3634/12 to Maurice Kinal on Sun Sep 1 17:42:13 2019
    By: Maurice Kinal to mark lewis on Sun Sep 01 2019 20:44:33

but i was taking them as a whole and not in parts and pieces

From a cp437 terminal? Not very likely it can differentiate 32-bit
    characters.

i know :)

i suspect you've forgotten that i'm testing my BBS software using a console ssh session... as such, i see UTF-8 characters as they are intended to be... not their individual bytes... you should be able to tell this from my tear, origin, and control lines...

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.09-Linux
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12 to Maurice Kinal on Sun Sep 1 17:58:51 2019
    By: Maurice Kinal to Alexandre Dumas on Fri Aug 30 2019 17:48:07

trying this again since i'm up to date from CVS... as before, i saw the proper glyphs when reading but not when using this editor... i was sure i had seen an update to the editor but apparently not :(

so, i'm going to try to write a UTF-8 character and see what happens...

ö small o with two dots
    î small i with rooftop

hummm... not seeing the glyphs in the editor :(

)\/(ark
    --- SBBSecho 3.09-Linux
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001 to mark lewis on Sun Sep 1 22:53:57 2019
    Hey mark!

i suspect you've forgotten that i'm testing my BBS software using
    a console ssh session

Sounds like an excellent plan. That is what I am doing but without the BBS. I used to use telnet back in the late 1980's but switched to ssh about 20 years ago. telnet was okay with the 'linux' terminal (ie /usr/share/terminfo/l/linux). I've been using this terminal since first starting with slackware-3.something-or-other. I forget what the default one for FreeBSD was but it sucked for DOS-think BBSes as well.

Life is good,
    Maurice

• From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001 to mark lewis on Sun Sep 1 23:02:24 2019
    Hey mark!

so, i'm going to try to write a UTF-8 character and see what happens...

ö small o with two dots
    î small i with rooftop

Excellent. Good thing your CHRS kludge doesn't actually do anything. What a crock FTS-5003 is. ;-)

That doesn't surprise me. They look perfect here. U+00F6 (dec 246) for "ö small o with two dots" and U+00EE (dec 238) "î small i with rooftop". In 8-bit hex-speak that will be;

echo -en "\u00f6" | xxd -ps | sed 's/.\{2\}/& /' => c3 b6

and

echo -en "\u00ee" | xxd -ps | sed 's/.\{2\}/& /' => c3 ae

The leading c3 byte tells me they are both 16-bit glyphs ... or whatever the kids are calling characters these days.

Life is good,
    Maurice

• From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Maurice Kinal on Sun Sep 1 19:42:34 2019

On 2019 Sep 01 23:02:24, you wrote to me:

so, i'm going to try to write a UTF-8 character and see what
    happens...

ö small o with two dots
    î small i with rooftop

Excellent. Good thing your CHRS kludge doesn't actually do anything.
    What
    a crock FTS-5003 is. ;-)

come on, man... geez... we're trying... the editor is obviously not as up to date as i had thought... it is all a WIP... did you even notice the control lines in both of my previous messages? one was "ASCII 1" and the one you replied to above did have CP437 when i think it should have had UTF-8 but i don't know why it didn't... it is supposed to scan and set the CHRS line according to the characters found in the post... the only thing i can think of is that those characters exist in CP437 even though my console depicted them as a two byte pair...

That doesn't surprise me.

it is an editor written in javascript like many other parts of the BBS... it should have handled them just fine since the update but WIP... the main core of the BBS is all C code and additions are either javascript or a custom compiled language known as baja... i'll have to ask the devs what's up... especially since it is above my javascript paygrade... i can muddle and hack my way through some stuff (like i did with the TIC file processor) but it is hard to do when there are javascript things as well as C things used at the same time... i think the proper term is "objects exposed to javascript"...

)\/(ark

... My taxidermist also does my taxes.
    ---
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001 to mark lewis on Mon Sep 2 00:22:48 2019
    Hey mark!

come on, man... geez... we're trying...

Me too, which is why I've been ignoring the CHRS kludge. I am criticizing the document and not anyone trying to make it work, although I doubt they can wrt "CHRS: UTF-8 4", which in the past I've advocated removing it from said FTSC document and possibly creating a new one independent from FTS-5003 so that it only covers a UTF-8 capable FTN applications. Offhand I think it might be far more progressive a strategy.

an editor written in javascript like many other parts of the BBS

I noticed the ".js" part and thought that might be the case. Anyhow your utf-8 characters came across beautifully and I quoted them back making sure they weren't corrupted by the editor I am using. Seems to me that you're on the right track despite the quoting issues at your end of things which sounds EXACTLY like the issues both msged and golded have with multibyte characters.

Life is good,
    Maurice

• From Nancy Backus@1:229/452 to Maurice Kinal on Tue Sep 3 01:49:50 2019
    Quoting Maurice Kinal to Alexandre Dumas on 30-Aug-2019 17:48 <=-

A triad of tests just for my own amusement. I already see that one of them worked but then again it has nothing to do with the usual
    suspects.

As I expect you want this sent back through my system, here's the
    quoteback.... ;)

What I see, in both the BlueWave reader and in my emacs editor, is three
    lines stacked (like an equal sign with an extra line in the stack), a
    fancy f and then a y with an umlaut for the smiling face and an o with
    an umlaut for the frowning person... I think the sets of letters/
    numbers after that should be the same as what I see...

ttyl neb

... It's working now; I don't want to break it by fixing it

--- EzyBlueWave V3.00 01FB001F
    * Origin: Tiny's BBS - telnet://tinysbbs.com:3023 (1:229/452)
  • From Nancy Backus@1:229/452 to mark lewis on Tue Sep 3 02:04:48 2019
    Quoting mark lewis to Maurice Kinal on 30-Aug-2019 20:18 <=-

From my perspective the true quote test will come from Nancy since she
    has a real text editor (emacs) that doesn't mess with characters
    despite the fact she also lacks suitable fonts to view them. So
    unless her offline host has the "loses an eye" bug everything should
    be okee-dokee.

I think that the only place I saw that character was online somewhere,
    it's always gone missing by the time it gets into the BW reader...

this also depends on which system she quotes from...

I generally quote from Tiny's for ASIAN_LINK, since I can use the
    Bluewave style messages and replies... including the long subject lines
    which Maurice is in the habit of using... The QWK format in BW ends up truncating the subject lines....

i know that she visits like 4 or 5 BBS systems most every day...

At the moment it is just 4... yours, Tiny's, Docs and Outpost... I was
    using Tiny's magicka bbs side as a backup one, but he took it down when
    apam put the development back on the back burner... And things have been
    busy enough around here that I've not put in a replacement for that one
    yet... ;) I tend to do MEMORIES and COOKING primarily on Doc's...

ttyl neb

... Taking something with a grain of salt may raise your blood pressure.

• From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001 to Nancy Backus on Tue Sep 3 14:05:41 2019
    Hey Nancy!

As I expect you want this sent back through my system, here's the quoteback.... ;)

Thank you. As suspected the 0x8d byte is missing in both and we both know that isn't the fault of your editor. What I see in your quotes are "f0 9f 98" and "f0 9f 99" (in 8-bit hex-speak) which don't match character-wise since I don't have a cp437 display available here.

Life is good,
    Maurice

... Cybertoasts of note:
    2020-01-01 is 120 days from now and falls on a Wednesday.
    2024-11-05 is 1890 days from now and falls on a Tuesday.
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Nancy Backus on Wed Sep 4 21:53:04 2019

On 2019 Sep 03 02:04:48, you wrote to me:

Bluewave style messages and replies... including the long subject lines which Maurice is in the habit of using... The QWK format in BW ends up truncating the subject lines....

yes, QWK has shorter field lengths for To, From and subject... my sbbs system should offer you the option to use QWKE which extends the lines... i don't know if BW supports QWKE though... probably not... multimail does, though... i think there's a DOS version of multimail but am not totally sure about that... multimail is the only currently maintained QWK/BW reader that i'm aware of...

i know that she visits like 4 or 5 BBS systems most every day...

At the moment it is just 4... yours, Tiny's, Docs and Outpost... I was using Tiny's magicka bbs side as a backup one, but he took it down when apam put the development back on the back burner... And things have been busy enough around here that I've not put in a replacement for that one yet... ;) I tend to do MEMORIES and COOKING primarily on Doc's...

:)

)\/(ark

... They're MY feet...I'll put them in my mouth if I want to!
    ---
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to Mark Lewis on Thu Sep 5 02:45:10 2019
    Hi Mark,

subject... my sbbs system should offer you the option
    to use QWKE which extends the lines... i don't know if
    BW supports QWKE though... probably not... multimail
    does, though... i think there's a DOS version of

Yes, there is a DOS version of MultiMail as well as a 32-bit and 64-bit version for Windows. MultiMail is currently on version 0.52. I use MM under Windows 10 with a small "minimal build" of nano for the editor.

Later,
    Sean

--- Maximus/2 3.01
    * Origin: Outpost BBS * bbs.outpostbbs.net:2304 (1:18/200)
  • From Nancy Backus@1:229/452 to Maurice Kinal on Mon Sep 9 01:01:14 2019
    Quoting Maurice Kinal to Nancy Backus on 03-Sep-2019 14:05 <=-

As I expect you want this sent back through my system, here's the
    quoteback.... ;)

Thank you. As suspected the 0x8d byte is missing in both and we both
    know that isn't the fault of your editor. What I see in your quotes
    are "f0 9f 98" and "f0 9f 99" (in 8-bit hex-speak) which don't match character-wise since I don't have a cp437 display available here.

Odd. I clearly saw 8d as the 4th pair for each of those, both in the
    original message and in my quote-back to you... both in the reader and
    in my editor... Also saw them in the reader from all the packets I
    downloaded with them in... :) So I dunno where they vanished to
    afterwards...

ttyl neb

... I went to a seafood rave last week and pulled a mussel.

• From Nancy Backus@1:229/452 to mark lewis on Mon Sep 9 23:20:06 2019
    Quoting mark lewis to Nancy Backus on 04-Sep-2019 21:53 <=-

Bluewave style messages and replies... including the long subject
    lines which Maurice is in the habit of using... The QWK format in
    BW ends up truncating the subject lines....

yes, QWK has shorter field lengths for To, From and subject... my sbbs system should offer you the option to use QWKE which extends the
    lines... i don't know if BW supports QWKE though... probably not... multimail does, though... i think there's a DOS version of multimail
    but am not totally sure about that... multimail is the only currently maintained QWK/BW reader that i'm aware of...

I think I tried QWKE without success before... and while I've heard that Multimail does have a DOS version, I still am happy with Bluewave...
    Richard managed to get it sufficiently up to date to keep it viable...

ttyl neb

... A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and my Blue Wave reader.

• From Maurice Kinal@2:280/464.113 to Nancy Backus on Thu Sep 12 05:02:16 2019
    Hallo Nancy!

Odd. I clearly saw 8d as the 4th pair for each of those,

That's a good sign. Chances are good that it isn't the BBS offline door thingy then.

So I dunno where they vanished to afterwards...

I have a pretty good idea.

Het leven is goed,
    Maurice

... Cybertoasts van belang:
    2020-01-01 is 111 dagen vanaf nu en valt op een woensdag.
    2024-11-05 is 1881 dagen vanaf nu en valt op een dinsdag.
    --- GNU bash, version 5.0.11(1)-release (x86_64-silvermont-linux-gnu)
  • From Nancy Backus@1:229/452 to Maurice Kinal on Sat Sep 14 21:51:42 2019
    Quoting Maurice Kinal to Nancy Backus on 12-Sep-2019 05:02 <=-

Odd. I clearly saw 8d as the 4th pair for each of those,

That's a good sign. Chances are good that it isn't the BBS offline
    door thingy then.

And, I note that when I typed it in, on its own, it didn't disappear... ;)

So I dunno where they vanished to afterwards...

I have a pretty good idea.

The ether...? Or the proverbial black hole...?

ttyl neb

... Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

• From Maurice Kinal@2:280/464.113 to Nancy Backus on Mon Sep 16 16:46:26 2019
    Hallo Nancy!

And, I note that when I typed it in, on its own, it didn't
    disappear... ;)

Excellent. There is no good reason why it should. Someone, somewhere along the line decided it shouldn't. I also understand that 0xe3 (Greek symbol for pi) in qwk packets get deleted for some strange reason.

The ether...? Or the proverbial black hole...?

Both and they share a node number. ;-)

Het leven is goed,
    Maurice

... Cybertoasts van belang:
    2020-01-01 is 107 dagen vanaf nu en valt op een woensdag.
    2024-11-05 is 1877 dagen vanaf nu en valt op een dinsdag.
    --- GNU bash, version 5.0.11(1)-release (x86_64-silvermont-linux-gnu)