• JAM users/developers...

From Ozz Nixon@1:275/362 to All on Mon Mar 25 01:48:20 2019
    Anyone using JAM know what these attributes mean?

#define JAMSFLD_ENCLFILE 9

JAMSFLD_ENCLFWALIAS 10

JAMSFLD_ENCLFREQ 11

JAMSFLD_ENCLFILEWC 12

JAMSFLD_ENCLINDFILE 13

JAMSFLD_EMBINDAT 1000

I can *guess* what they mean, but, not sure what to expect in the Subs and Text area. I assume 1000 means it is 7bit encoded into the body? (kinda like HTML boundary does)? Or is that was 9 means?

Thank you! I have googled, but, I just keep finding code definition, not description of what the attributes mean...

--
    .. Ozz Nixon
    ... Author ExchangeBBS (suite)
    .... Since 1983 BBS Developer

--- FMail-W32 2.0.1.4
    * Origin: ExchangeBBS WHQ (1:275/362.0)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Ozz Nixon on Mon Mar 25 09:42:20 2019

On 2019 Mar 25 01:48:20, you wrote to All:

you'd be better off asking joho... i've just spent the last few hours searching my systems and haven't found what i was looking for regarding the JAM format... there was something like a jamdev kit but it may not have contained comments like you are looking for for those field names...

at a guess, i'd say they are related to ENCrypted messages or, since some appear to be file related, ENCLosed files... but yeah, ask joho... he's the one with all the JAM answers...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
    Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong...
    ... You're not Uncle Dirty Dave; you're just Moderately Off-Color.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Ozz Nixon@1:275/362 to mark lewis on Mon Mar 25 12:05:45 2019
    On 2019-03-25 13:42:20 +0000, mark lewis -> Ozz Nixon said:

On 2019 Mar 25 01:48:20, you wrote to All:

ON> Anyone using JAM know what these attributes mean?

you'd be better off asking joho...

Will do. I try not to bother him, I know he's trying to port FroDo to FPC and potentially making it Open Source... and based upon the conversations with Dale (Intermail) the source is a MESS.

I did find https://defsol.com/news/jammbp-the-joaquim-andrew-mats-message-base-proposal/

However, it is as clear as my guesses were.

Have other question(s) in next message... (when to tear and when to * Origin) ;-)

PS. What was the answer to the origin of Tear?

--
    .. Ozz Nixon

--- FMail-W32 2.0.1.4
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Ozz Nixon on Mon Mar 25 13:38:24 2019

On 2019 Mar 25 12:05:44, you wrote to me:

you'd be better off asking joho...

Will do. I try not to bother him,

understandable...

I know he's trying to port FroDo to FPC and potentially making it Open Source... and based upon the conversations with Dale (Intermail) the source is a MESS.

probably... there was ASM, Pascal and C all in there...

I did find https://defsol.com/news/jammbp-the-joaquim-andrew-mats-message-base-pr oposal/

However, it is as clear as my guesses were.

yeah... things were planned but then RL and the 'net came along and derailed a lot of projects...

PS. What was the answer to the origin of Tear?

tear lines were originally used to indicate the end of the message text... they are used like the ones in news and email... everything below them could be cut off... back in the day when bbses were run off of floppies, systems stripped everything out of the messages they could so they could store more messages... eventually, they were just used to indicate the end of the message body... of course, also stripping out some control data lead to not being able to respond in some ways... for example, you could not respond privately via netmail to an echomail message...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
    Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong...
    ... I'm perfectly normal; you can ask any of my psychiatrists.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Ozz Nixon@1:275/362 to mark lewis on Mon Mar 25 14:16:02 2019
    On 2019-03-25 17:38:24 +0000, mark lewis -> Ozz Nixon said:

ON> PS. What was the answer to the origin of Tear?

tear lines were originally used to indicate the end of the message
    text... they are used like the ones in news and email... everything
    below them could be cut off... back in the day when bbses were run off
    of floppies, systems stripped everything out of the messages they could
    so they could store more messages... eventually, they were just used to indicate the end of the message body... of course, also stripping out
    some control data lead to not being able to respond in some ways... for example, you could not respond privately via netmail to an echomail message...

Very interesting... back in the Floppy era, I was not active in Fidonet. We had a small network we devised in Tampa in 1983 to 85 until I started at IBM and moved to North Florida.

I started on a Xenix 8" Floppy system, then upgraded to my own Tandy Model 1, with 4 5.25" drives - Boot, BBS, Msgs, Files. The days when we wrote 4kb or smaller, learned ASM, developed our own task swapping, ahhhh... the good ol' days, where every sysop knew every sysop, knew which users to watch out for, and occasionally we all got together as one big social network.

In '92, I moved up to Chattanooga to start my own Business and joined Fidonet running Xenophobe and ported the "Fido" patch from PUP to my BBS. The ChatTN sysops met every weekend, got to know everyone, have breakfast, and go about life for the next 166 hours... Everyone helped everyone setup their First BBS, or Tweak DOS and Cache Engines to respond faster.

Eventually I switched to FroDo, 1.x as I aquired QuickBBS source and had a simple startbbs.bat to tie FastEcho, FroDo, and QuickBBS all together. (Never got into TICs). (17 Dec 1993, nodelist.351
    was went I switched to PCBoard and drop Fido development for RelayNet (RIME) - I provided Planet Connect feeds to everyone, but I was given authority to start developing and porting UPI and AP broadcasts to Text News streams... March '96 acquired MotorCity Software from Rod and started an ISP in Chattanooga. Which consumed all of my online time, evntually closing all the BBS lines and started another software company developing Server Socket suites for some of the Big Boys in California. Which became my main revenue stream until 2012 when I started mobile development for the Pharmacy industry.

2016, I decided my tools I had been developing since 2000
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ModernPascal

Now using my tools, I was able to whip out a full NNTP RFC 977, 2980 and 3977 compliant server using JAM as the current back-end, all under 80kb - as my framework works like .Net's CLR... but I focus on NON-Windows platforms.

--
    .. Ozz Nixon

--- FMail-W32 2.0.1.4
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to OZZ NIXON on Tue Mar 26 19:19:00 2019
    Will do. I try not to bother him, I know he's trying to port FroDo to FPC and >potentially making it Open Source... and based upon the conversations with Dale
    (Intermail) the source is a MESS.

Andrew "apam," the author of MagickaBBS, may also have some ideas about JAM.

Mike

---
    * SLMR 2.1a * It's as easy as 3.14159265358979323846...
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Ozz Nixon@1:275/362 to Mike Powell on Wed Mar 27 14:49:04 2019
    On 2019-03-26 23:19:00 +0000, Mike Powell -> OZZ NIXON said:

Will do. I try not to bother him, I know he's trying to port FroDo to FPC and
    potentially making it Open Source... and based upon the conversations
    with Dale
    (Intermail) the source is a MESS.

Andrew "apam," the author of MagickaBBS, may also have some ideas about JAM.

Mike

Thank you Mike!!

--
    .. Ozz Nixon

--- FMail-W32 2.0.1.4