• src/sbbs3/atcodes.cpp sbbs.h str.cpp

From Rob Swindell (on Windows 11)@VERT to Git commit to main/sbbs/master on Wed Oct 25 21:17:14 2023
    https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/commit/9bd2d550da751b7c1946bdbc
    Modified Files:
    src/sbbs3/atcodes.cpp sbbs.h str.cpp
    Log Message:
    Cache the text.dat string ID look-ups (mapping from IDs to indexes)

Whoohoo, I'm a reel STL programmerz n0w!

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Rob Swindell (on Windows on Thu Oct 26 11:28:45 2023
    Re: src/sbbs3/atcodes.cpp sbbs.h str.cpp
    By: Rob Swindell (on Windows 11) to Git commit to main/sbbs/master on Wed Oct 25 2023 09:17 pm

In my last year of college, I needed to take another elective class. They had a programming class just focusing on the C++ STL, and I took that one. I thought it would be interesting, but my decision was also influenced by my employer at the time, as we were working on a project using C++.

I've seen some people say they think the STL is too bloated, but also, you can do some interesting stuff with it. One thing I thought was interesting from that class was that you can potentially eliminate use of loops in your code with std::for_each, std::find_if, and such.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Thu Oct 26 13:33:03 2023
    By: Nightfox to Rob Swindell (on Windows on Thu Oct 26 2023 11:28 am

By: Rob Swindell (on Windows 11) to Git commit to main/sbbs/master on Wed Oct 25 2023 09:17 pm

In my last year of college, I needed to take another elective class. They had a programming class just focusing on the C++ STL, and I took that one.
    I thought it would be interesting, but my decision was also influenced by my employer at the time, as we were working on a project using C++.

I've seen some people say they think the STL is too bloated, but also, you can do some interesting stuff with it. One thing I thought was interesting from that class was that you can potentially eliminate use of loops in your code with std::for_each, std::find_if, and such.

Yup. And there's good (well-vetted/tested) data structure and algorithm solutions in it, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel when doing common things (e.g. a hash map implementation) that are easy to get wrong or sub-optimal at least.

One thing I recently learned: though the Standard C++ Library is/was heavily influenced by the STL, it's not actually the same thing. I've been referring to it (the standard C++ library) as the STL forever, but it's actually a somewhat different set of libraries. Thanks wikipedia!
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #8:
    Derek Smalls: Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea.
    Norco, CA WX: 69.6øF, 62.0% humidity, 0 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Thu Oct 26 19:23:29 2023
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Oct 26 2023 01:33 pm

One thing I recently learned: though the Standard C++ Library is/was heavily influenced by the STL, it's not actually the same thing. I've been referring to it (the standard C++ library) as the STL forever, but it's actually a somewhat different set of libraries. Thanks wikipedia!

That vaguely rings a bell.. I seem to remember hearing that some of the things in the STL came from (or were influenced by) 3rd-party C++ libraries such as Boost.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com