• Safari web fail

From Andre@VERT/RDOMENTR to echicken on Mon Mar 21 15:10:59 2022
    echicken, I'm getting an error occasionally on iPhone safari with webv4. Any ideas where I should look to sort it out? I notice it sporadically when viewing some threads in forums.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32169082/safari-cannot-decode-raw-data-when -using-gzip/32169083#32169083

- Andre

---
    þ Synchronet þ Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Andre on Tue Mar 22 03:17:09 2022
    Re: Safari web fail
    By: Andre to echicken on Mon Mar 21 2022 15:10:59

echicken, I'm getting an error occasionally on iPhone safari with webv4. Any ideas where I should look to sort it out? I notice it sporadically when viewing some threads in forums.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32169082/safari-cannot-decode-raw-data -when -using-gzip/32169083#32169083

I can't click on that link at the moment, but offhand I'll tell you that webv4 doesn't knowingly use gzip for anything. Perhaps the webserver is compressing the payload. Maybe that can be turned off? Not that it would be a great solution.

Is there any pattern, like it only happens if the page contains a very long thread, etc.? I'm wondering why it's intermittent.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Andre@VERT/RDOMENTR to echicken on Tue Mar 22 04:23:09 2022
    By: echicken to Andre on Tue Mar 22 2022 03:17 am

Is there any pattern, like it only happens if the page contains a very long thread, etc.? I'm wondering why it's intermittent.

I haven't noticed a simple pattern yet, and haven't really tried to troubleshoot it. Just noticed it happening sometimes, and seemingly lately happening more often.

Didn't know if anything ideas came to mind for you. No sweat... I'll try to figure it out eventually.

- Andre

---
    þ Synchronet þ Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Andre on Tue Mar 22 14:42:10 2022
    By: Andre to echicken on Tue Mar 22 2022 04:23:09

I haven't noticed a simple pattern yet, and haven't really tried to troubleshoot it. Just noticed it happening sometimes, and seemingly lately happening more often.

Didn't know if anything ideas came to mind for you. No sweat... I'll try to figure it out eventually.

Do you have a proxy / reverse proxy between the browser and your web server, or anything like that? Possibly something is trying to be helpful.

I haven't used Safari on mobile in a long time so I don't know how much investigating you're able to do. On a desktop I'd probably bring up dev tools, look at the network tab, try to see which response was causing the problem, look at the headers etc.

Most search results for this point to gzip, but I get the sense that there could be other causes. (Not sure if a similar error would happen on bad imageurl data, etc., in which case avatars might be a cause.)

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com