• ircd Issue

From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to All on Fri Jan 22 10:30:36 2021
    Interesting little issue. If running ircd from within Synchronet as a non-standalone service, it binds to the properly defined interface in sbbs.ini. On the other hand, when running ircd as a standalone service from systemd, it binds to 0.0.0.0.

Please note, my BBS interface is 172.31.1.184 and my management interface is 172.31.5.242.

ircd from within Synchronet:

tcp 0 0 172.31.1.184:6667 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 172.31.1.184:36197 71.95.196.34:6667 ESTABLISHED

ircd when started from systemd:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6667 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 172.31.5.242:35327 71.95.196.34:6667 ESTABLISHED tcp6 0 0 :::6667 :::* LISTEN

From the looks of it, the standalone initialization of it comes from ircd.js, lines 168 through 181:

if(this.server==undefined) { // Running from JSexec?
    if (!jsexec_revision_detail)
    jsexec_revision_detail = "JSexec";
    if (cmdline_port)
    default_port = cmdline_port;
    else if (mline_port)
    default_port = mline_port;

server = { socket: false, terminated: false,
    version_detail: jsexec_revision_detail, interface_ip_addr_list: ["0.0.0.0","::"] };
    server.socket = create_new_socket(default_port)
    if (!server.socket)
    exit();
    }

Yet, from lines 626 to 646, the else statement to utilize the sbbs.ini defined interface will likely never get called:

function connect_to_server(this_cline,the_port) {
    var connect_sock;
    var new_id;

if (!the_port && this_cline.port)
    the_port = this_cline.port;
    else if (!the_port)
    the_port = default_port; // try a safe default.
    if (js.global.ConnectedSocket != undefined) {
    try {
    connect_sock = new ConnectedSocket(this_cline.host, the_port, {timeout:ob_sock_timeout, bindaddrs:server.interface_ip_addr_list});
    }
    catch(e) {
    connect_sock = new Socket();
    }
    }
    else {
    connect_sock.bind(0,server.interface_ip_address);
    connect_sock.connect(this_cline.host,the_port,ob_sock_timeout);
    }

I'm a little stumped on how to fix this. I can obviously tweak interface_ip_addr_list and put the correct interface in it, but that would make the solution only work for me and I don't want that.

Thoughts?

Brian Klauss <-> Dream Master
    Caught in a Dream | caughtinadream.com a Synchronet BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ Caught in a Dream - caughtinadream.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Dream Master on Fri Jan 22 12:01:18 2021
    Re: ircd Issue
    By: Dream Master to All on Fri Jan 22 2021 10:30 am

Interesting little issue. If running ircd from within Synchronet as a non-standalone service, it binds to the properly defined interface in sbbs.ini. On the other hand, when running ircd as a standalone service from systemd, it binds to 0.0.0.0.

Please note, my BBS interface is 172.31.1.184 and my management interface is 172.31.5.242.

ircd from within Synchronet:

tcp 0 0 172.31.1.184:6667 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 172.31.1.184:36197 71.95.196.34:6667
    ESTABLISHED

ircd when started from systemd:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6667 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 172.31.5.242:35327 71.95.196.34:6667
    ESTABLISHED tcp6 0 0 :::6667 :::*
    LISTEN

From the looks of it, the standalone initialization of it comes from ircd.js, lines 168 through 181:

if(this.server==undefined) { // Running from JSexec?
    if (!jsexec_revision_detail)
    jsexec_revision_detail = "JSexec";
    if (cmdline_port)
    default_port = cmdline_port;
    else if (mline_port)
    default_port = mline_port;

server = { socket: false, terminated: false,
    version_detail: jsexec_revision_detail, interface_ip_addr_list: ["0.0.0.0","::"] };
    server.socket = create_new_socket(default_port)
    if (!server.socket)
    exit();
    }

Yet, from lines 626 to 646, the else statement to utilize the sbbs.ini defined interface will likely never get called:

function connect_to_server(this_cline,the_port) {
    var connect_sock;
    var new_id;

if (!the_port && this_cline.port)
    the_port = this_cline.port;
    else if (!the_port)
    the_port = default_port; // try a safe default.
    if (js.global.ConnectedSocket != undefined) {
    try {
    connect_sock = new ConnectedSocket(this_cline.host, the_port, {timeout:ob_sock_timeout, bindaddrs:server.interface_ip_addr_list});
    }
    catch(e) {
    }
    }
    else {
    connect_sock.bind(0,server.interface_ip_address);

connect_sock.connect(this_cline.host,the_port,ob_sock_timeout);
    }

I'm a little stumped on how to fix this. I can obviously tweak interface_ip_addr_list and put the correct interface in it, but that would make the solution only work for me and I don't want that.

Thoughts?

There may be a setting in ircd.conf that is (or is supposed to) control the local interface IP address to bind to, but looking at that code you pasted, it certainly appears to be hard-coded to 0.0.0.0. Note: sbbs.ini is intentionally not used by JSexec.

The person to talk to about this stuff would be either cyan or deuce in #synchronet at irc.synchro.net (Cyan wrote the ircd.js). I saw you attempted to get Deuce's attention regarding your BinkIT 100% CPU utilization issue and didn't get any response. Sometimes you've got to ping him multiple times. echicken or nelgin might also have some helpful input on the ircd local interface issue (and those 2 monitor DOVE-Net usually, so maybe they're reply here).
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #14:
    Karl Childers: Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade. Norco, CA WX: 63.9øF, 57.0% humidity, 1 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to Digital Man on Fri Jan 22 16:00:55 2021
    By: Digital Man to Dream Master on Fri Jan 22 2021 12:01 pm

The person to talk to about this stuff would be either cyan or deuce in #synchronet at irc.synchro.net (Cyan wrote the ircd.js). I saw you attempted to get Deuce's attention regarding your BinkIT 100% CPU utilization issue and didn't get any response. Sometimes you've got to ping him multiple times. echicken or nelgin might also have some helpful input on the ircd local interface issue (and those 2 monitor DOVE-Net usually, so maybe they're reply here).

Thank you. I tried reaching out to Deuce on irc, no glory. Cyan isn't online. Maybe I'll get lucky some time tonight when everyone is bored with their families. :)

Also, I think I found the issue with BinkIT. I'm going to try to replicate it again this weekend and report back.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Dream Master on Fri Jan 22 17:00:06 2021
    By: Dream Master to Digital Man on Fri Jan 22 2021 04:00 pm

Thank you. I tried reaching out to Deuce on irc, no glory. Cyan isn't online. Maybe I'll get lucky some time tonight when everyone is bored with their families. :)

Cyan's in there (as he usually is), and I was *just* chatting with him. <shrug>

He's in VN, so take that time zone into account too.
    --
    digital man

Rush quote #50:
    I've always been a big sponge. - Neil Peart
    Norco, CA WX: 53.6øF, 69.0% humidity, 1 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Dream Master on Sat Jan 23 02:31:13 2021
    Dream wrote:

The person to talk to about this stuff would be either cyan or deuce in #synchronet at irc.synchro.net (Cyan wrote the ircd.js). I saw you attempted
    to get Deuce's attention regarding your BinkIT 100% CPU utilization issue and didn't get any response. Sometimes you've got to ping him multiple times. echicken or nelgin might also have some helpful input on the ircd local interface issue (and those 2 monitor DOVE-Net usually, so maybe they're reply here).

Also, I think I found the issue with BinkIT. I'm going to try to replicate it again this weekend and report back.

Deuce added some documentation to services.ini

; Interface (default: network interface IP address specified in sbbs.ini [services])
    ; Host (default: unspecified) - only run on the specified hostname
    ; NotHost (default: unspecified) - do not run on the specified hostname

SO if you just specify the Interface with IP then the service will bind to
    that ip.

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nelgin on Sat Jan 23 03:46:09 2021
    Re: Re: ircd Issue
    By: Nelgin to Dream Master on Sat Jan 23 2021 02:31 am

Dream wrote:

The person to talk to about this stuff would be either cyan or deuce in #synchronet at irc.synchro.net (Cyan wrote the ircd.js). I saw you attempted
    to get Deuce's attention regarding your BinkIT 100% CPU utilization issue and didn't get any response. Sometimes you've got to ping him multiple times. echicken or nelgin might also have some helpful input on the ircd local interface issue (and those 2 monitor DOVE-Net usually, so maybe they're reply here).

; Interface (default: network interface IP address specified in sbbs.ini [services])

SO if you just specify the Interface with IP then the service will bind to that ip.

When the ircd.js is run from JSexec, the services.ini file is not read-by/used-for it.
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #11:
    Doyle Hargraves (to Karl): What in the hell you doin' with that hammer?
    Norco, CA WX: 47.5øF, 82.0% humidity, 1 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to Nelgin on Sat Jan 23 14:49:24 2021
    Re: Re: ircd Issue
    By: Nelgin to Dream Master on Sat Jan 23 2021 02:31 am

SO if you just specify the Interface with IP then the service will bind to that ip.

This will not work when used independantly of SBBS. If ran from systemd by itself, ircd.js does not query services.ini.

---