• Re: hello from a lost exp

From Greenlfc@VERT/BEERS20 to Hylian on Fri Sep 17 07:04:00 2021
    On 16 Sep 2021, Hylian said the following...

Facebook has eaten my brain and soul, so I may be not much more than a human verion of a bot by now.

Greetings!

I'm pretty sure The Matrix serves as a metaphor for our modern social media world. Instead of electricity they mine our compliance and mental energy. Much like the Matrix, those still inside tend to resist when you attempt to leave.

Not that I'm being judgy; facebook gets too much of my eyeballs, too.

GreenLFC º e> greenleaderfanclub@protonmail.com
    Infosec / Ham / Retro º masto> greenleaderfanclub@distrotoot
    Avoids Politics on BBS º gem> gemini.greenleader.xyz
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Greenlfc on Fri Sep 17 08:49:57 2021
    Re: Re: hello from a lost exp
    By: Greenlfc to Hylian on Fri Sep 17 2021 07:04 am

I'm pretty sure The Matrix serves as a metaphor for our modern social media world. Instead of electricity they mine our compliance and mental

The Matrix came out in 1999, before many of the social media platforms existed. But it's still a good metaphor.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Greenlfc@VERT/BEERS20 to Nightfox on Fri Sep 17 10:38:00 2021
    On 17 Sep 2021, Nightfox said the following...

The Matrix came out in 1999, before many of the social media platforms existed. But it's still a good metaphor.

Agreed, didn't mean to imply it was an *intentional* metaphor, just that it's apt.

GreenLFC º e> greenleaderfanclub@protonmail.com
    Infosec / Ham / Retro º masto> greenleaderfanclub@distrotoot
    Avoids Politics on BBS º gem> gemini.greenleader.xyz
  • From Elf@VERT/DMINE to NIGHTFOX on Fri Sep 17 18:11:00 2021
    Quoting Nightfox to Greenlfc <=-

Nightfox

And it's coming back just in time to remind us all! December 22, 2021!!
    I know where I will be!

... I am Windoze of Borg, Your disk space will be assimilated
    ___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Elf on Fri Sep 17 18:55:54 2021
    By: Elf to NIGHTFOX on Fri Sep 17 2021 06:11 pm

The Matrix came out in 1999, before many of the social media
    platforms existed. But it's still a good metaphor.

And it's coming back just in time to remind us all! December 22, 2021!!
    I know where I will be!

Wohoa!

Nightfox

---
  • From Boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS to Nightfox on Fri Sep 24 15:33:00 2021
    Nightfox wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

@MSGID: <614CE83B.61562.dove_dove-gen@digitaldistortionbbs.com>
    @REPLY: <614C9B06.49124.dove.dove-gen@realitycheckbbs.org>
    Re: Re: hello from a lost explorer
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Hylian
    on Fri Sep 17 2021 07:17 am

Between the 2020 US Elections and pandemic (mis)information, I've virtually stopped using Facebook. What's on there now to keep people's attention?

For me it's more about keeping in touch with friends and family. I see
    a lot of friends & family posting updates and silly stuff on Facebook;
    I don't really see a lot of political stuff there. And the political stuff I do see, I mostly skip past it.

I've found FB more damaging than helpful in maintaining relationships with people. Maybe because I can't keep my mouth shut, but over FB discussions and debates tend to turn south more easily than if they were to happen face to face.

... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ MS & RD BBs - bbs.mozysswamp.org
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Boraxman on Fri Sep 24 09:03:33 2021
    By: Boraxman to Nightfox on Fri Sep 24 2021 03:33 pm

I've found FB more damaging than helpful in maintaining relationships with people. Maybe because I can't keep my mouth shut, but over FB discussions and debates tend to turn south more easily than if they were to happen face to face.

you're absolutely right. i've seen fb destroy relationships.
    most people dont want debates or know how to debate. if you don't have the same opinion as them, you are the enemy. that's what people have been brainwashed into in the last 20 or so years. young and old.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Ksource@VERT/MUTINY to Boraxman on Sat Sep 25 00:39:50 2021
    By: Boraxman to Nightfox on Fri Sep 24 2021 15:33:00

It's weird. I like online discussions (even trolling and flameware I have no problems with). I like face-to-face discussions.
    Facebook was (probably still is) awful, though. Like you would THINK that since people have their real name attached to it, and are
    talking to their friends and family, they would be thoughtful about how a message is going to be received, but it seems to be the
    obvious. People just plow ahead and post whatever crazy nut lands in their coconut and don't think about the people reading it, I
    guess.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Mutiny BBS - mutinybbs.com - telnet:2332 - ssh:2232
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ksource on Sat Sep 25 04:46:12 2021
    By: Ksource to Boraxman on Sat Sep 25 2021 12:39 am

Facebook was (probably still is) awful, though. Like you would THINK that since people have their real name attached to it, and are
    talking to their friends and family, they would be thoughtful about how a message is going to be received, but it seems to be the
    obvious. People just plow ahead and post whatever crazy nut lands in their coconut and don't think about the people reading it, I
    guess.

facebook is instant chaos. combine that with a poor structure for managing bad behavior and it becomes a bigger cess pool. you really get to see people's bad sides, though. there's been some teachers that posted on fb during the riots and i couldnt believe the hate and stupidity.
    ---
  • From Boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS to Ksource on Sat Sep 25 18:07:00 2021
    Ksource wrote to Boraxman <=-

@MSGID: <614EA816.15944.dove-general@mutinybbs.com>
    @REPLY: <614D645D.52254.dove-gen@bbs.mozysswamp.org>
    By: Boraxman to Nightfox on
    Fri Sep 24 2021 15:33:00

It's weird. I like online discussions (even trolling and flameware I
    have no problems with). I like face-to-face discussions. Facebook was (probably still is) awful, though. Like you would THINK that since
    people have their real name attached to it, and are talking to their friends and family, they would be thoughtful about how a message is
    going to be received, but it seems to be the obvious. People just plow ahead and post whatever crazy nut lands in their coconut and don't
    think about the people reading it, I guess.

It seems that even though people have their name and face to their profile, the fact that people are discussing things electronically still means they will act in ways they wouldn't act in real life.

I don't mind debating and discussions, but people seem to make things personal, i.e., I'm a bad person for having particular views.

• From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Boraxman on Sat Sep 25 07:27:24 2021
    By: Boraxman to Ksource on Sat Sep 25 2021 06:07 pm

It seems that even though people have their name and face to their profile, the fact that people are discussing things electronically still means they will act in ways they wouldn't act in real life.

I don't mind debating and discussions, but people seem to make things personal, i.e., I'm a bad person for having particular views.

i had an old girlfriend for about 11 years. over time she became a political nut. she could not go 10 mins without talking about trump.

anyways, she said i should be democrat because i'm not rich.
    that makes no sense. in my life i haven't seen democrats do anything for poor people. i just see them get themselves richer. areas that are ran by democrats are often disgusting and filled with crime.

i paid for us to go to a relationship counselor and she said I was evil because i didn't vote democrat. the conselor told her that was an abnormal conclusion to come to.

anyways, we're not together now and things have never been better!
    some guy i'm friends with on instagram told her i had covid and she said she hopes i die or something. i never did anything bad to her and i helped her financially for a long time. she was also married and the guy divorced her after six months and he fucking moved out in one day.
    ---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Sat Sep 25 10:12:00 2021
    well, everybody else saw it if they used the site. facebook was entirely polit
    al before the elections.

No kidding. Now that the election is over, that clickbait has been
    replaced with the "No one remembers the name of the first street they lived on," and "What was the first car you ever drove?" phishing bait.

* SLMR 2.1a * I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Sun Sep 26 21:32:03 2021
    By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Sat Sep 25 2021 10:12 am

well, everybody else saw it if they used the site. facebook was entirely polit
    al before the elections.

No kidding. Now that the election is over, that clickbait has been
    replaced with the "No one remembers the name of the first street they lived on," and "What was the first car you ever drove?" phishing bait.

* SLMR 2.1a * I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

i was using fb during that time. everytime i was on it i had voting shit shoved in my face. popping up, telling me to vote, where to vote. ads about how bad trump was.
    ---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Mon Sep 27 15:38:00 2021
    i was using fb during that time. everytime i was on it i had voting shit shove
    in my face. popping up, telling me to vote, where to vote. ads about how bad >trump was.

Yes, especially the last bit. I voted early, in person. I "told" one of
    their voting reminders to stop reminding me but it didn't last long before
    it was pestering me again. Maybe it knew something I did not (that I could vote more than once?).

* SLMR 2.1a * Remember, to a computer 1 + 1 = 10.

---
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to MRO on Mon Sep 27 14:41:03 2021
    By: MRO to Dumas Walker on Sun Sep 26 2021 21:32:03

i was using fb during that time. everytime i was on it i had voting shit shoved in my face. popping up, telling me to vote, where to vote. ads abou

Now, everytime I get on there it's all Covid this and Covid that.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23
    SSH: furmenservices.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: furmenservices.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322

Dallas

... Never marry a man who hates his mother because he'll end up hating you.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Lupine Furmen on Mon Sep 27 15:34:04 2021
    By: Lupine Furmen to MRO on Mon Sep 27 2021 02:41 pm

i was using fb during that time. everytime i was on it i had voting
    shit shoved in my face. popping up, telling me to vote, where to
    vote. ads abou

I don't know what you're seeing on Facebook, but most of the people I'm connected with on Facebook have been mostly sharing their usual stuff. There's some covid posts in there sometimes, but I wouldn't say I see covid stuff all the time.

Nightfox

---
  • From Boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS to MRO on Tue Sep 28 20:21:00 2021
    MRO wrote to Boraxman <=-

@MSGID: <614F15AC.5934.dove-gen@bbses.info>
    @REPLY: <614EDC3E.52265.dove-gen@bbs.mozysswamp.org>
    By: Boraxman to Ksource on Sat Sep 25 2021 06:07 pm

i had an old girlfriend for about 11 years. over time she became a political nut. she could not go 10 mins without talking about trump.

anyways, she said i should be democrat because i'm not rich.
    that makes no sense. in my life i haven't seen democrats do anything
    for poor people. i just see them get themselves richer. areas that are ran by democrats are often disgusting and filled with crime.

i paid for us to go to a relationship counselor and she said I was evil because i didn't vote democrat. the conselor told her that was an abnormal conclusion to come to.

anyways, we're not together now and things have never been better!
    some guy i'm friends with on instagram told her i had covid and she
    said she hopes i die or something. i never did anything bad to her and
    i helped her financially for a long time. she was also married and
    the guy divorced her after six months and he fucking moved out in one
    day. ---

That sounds bad. I find these Liberals turn bitter and hateful pretty easily.

• From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Tue Sep 28 08:41:25 2021
    By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Mon Sep 27 2021 03:38 pm

i was using fb during that time. everytime i was on it i had voting shit shove
    in my face. popping up, telling me to vote, where to vote. ads about how bad >trump was.

Yes, especially the last bit. I voted early, in person. I "told" one of their voting reminders to stop reminding me but it didn't last long before it was pestering me again. Maybe it knew something I did not (that I could vote more than once?).

* SLMR 2.1a * Remember, to a computer 1 + 1 = 10.

can you still go into that section in the settings and see where they profile you? they determine if you are democrat or republican and what you like.
    ---
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Nightfox on Tue Sep 28 09:45:46 2021
    By: Nightfox to Lupine Furmen on Mon Sep 27 2021 15:34:04

I don't know what you're seeing on Facebook, but most of the people I'm connected with on Facebook have been mostly sharing their usual stuff. There's some covid posts in there sometimes, but I wouldn't say I see covid stuff all the time.

Not seeing it from my friends. It's FB and it's advertisers.

If I see anything covid related from my friends it's something about how ignorant and stupid the Right wingers, Trumpers, and Anti-Vaxers are.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23
    SSH: furmenservices.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: furmenservices.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322

Dallas

... By annihilating desires you annihilate the mind.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Lupine Furmen on Tue Sep 28 10:10:59 2021
    By: Lupine Furmen to Nightfox on Tue Sep 28 2021 09:45 am

I don't know what you're seeing on Facebook, but most of the people
    I'm connected with on Facebook have been mostly sharing their usual
    stuff. There's some covid posts in there sometimes, but I wouldn't
    say I see covid stuff all the time.

Not seeing it from my friends. It's FB and it's advertisers.

Ah. I've mentally tuned out web advertisements for years. I generally just don't pay attention to the ads. More recently I've also been using ad blockers in my web browser, so it could be that I just haven't been seeing some of the ads.

If I see anything covid related from my friends it's something about how ignorant and stupid the Right wingers, Trumpers, and Anti-Vaxers are.

I see that on both sides. People posting that, or people making right-wing posts about what's supposedly really going on and that we should be paying more attention, etc..

Nightfox

---
  • From Warpslide@VERT/NRBBS to Nightfox on Tue Sep 28 14:22:00 2021
    On 28 Sep 2021, Nightfox said the following...

Ah. I've mentally tuned out web advertisements for years. I generally ju 't pay attention to the ads. More recently I've also been using ad blocke my web browser, so it could be that I just haven't been seeing some of the

I've been using ad-blockers for awhile as well, and I sometimes forget what sites look like without them.

I had occasion to use speedtest.net on a VM here at work not too long ago, I couldn't believe how cluttered that site is without an ad-blocker! It looks like it was infected by a malicious script, I can't believe that's the way they intend it to look... :\

Jay

... Buy Land Now. It's Not Being Made Any More.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/09/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Warpslide on Tue Sep 28 12:38:26 2021
    By: Warpslide to Nightfox on Tue Sep 28 2021 02:22 pm

I've been using ad-blockers for awhile as well, and I sometimes forget what sites look like without them.

I had occasion to use speedtest.net on a VM here at work not too long ago, I couldn't believe how cluttered that site is without an ad-blocker! It looks like it was infected by a malicious script, I can't believe that's the way they intend it to look... :\

SpeedTest has dedicated apps now too - even for Windows. For my Windows PC at home, I downloaded their SpeedTest app (I think it's available through the Windows Store). That has a nice simple interface without ads.

Nightfox

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to LUPINE FURMEN on Tue Sep 28 15:46:00 2021
    i was using fb during that time. everytime i was on it i had voting shit shoved in my face. popping up, telling me to vote, where to vote. ads abo

Just today, ironically, it asked me if I was registered to vote. First
    thing that popped up on my timeline.

* SLMR 2.1a * My computer NEVER locks u ­­­ NO CARRIER

---
    ­ Synchronet ­ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Warpslide on Tue Sep 28 17:55:00 2021
    Hello Warpslide!

** On Tuesday 28.09.21 - 14:22, Warpslide wrote to Nightfox:

I had occasion to use speedtest.net on a VM here at work
    not too long ago, I couldn't believe how cluttered that
    site is without an ad-blocker! It looks like it was
    infected by a malicious script, I can't believe that's the
    way they intend it to look... :\

Try fast.com

It has a very clean interface.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
    * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to Dumas Walker on Wed Sep 29 10:14:51 2021
    By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Sat Sep 25 2021 10:12 am

No kidding. Now that the election is over, that clickbait has been replaced with the "No one remembers the name of the first street they lived on," and "What was the first car you ever drove?" phishing bait.

I reply to all of those now with the same thing:

"my social security number"

DaiTengu

... Monogamy leaves a lot to be desired.

---
    þ Synchronet þ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to NIGHTFOX on Thu Oct 14 13:48:00 2021
    NIGHTFOX wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-

Between the 2020 US Elections and pandemic (mis)information, I've virtually stopped using Facebook. What's on there now to keep people's attention?

For me it's more about keeping in touch with friends and family. I see
    a lot of friends & family posting updates and silly stuff on Facebook;
    I don't really see a lot of political stuff there. And the political stuff I do see, I mostly skip past it.

I don't actively USE Facebook - but there are a few friends/family that
    ONLY communicate there, so I pop in from time to time...

We were streaming our church services there, but finally moved off to a
    private web site...

http://www.beechgrovebruceville.org

... Police station toilets stolen. Cops have nothing to go on.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    þ wcQWK 8.0 ÷ Omicron Theta * Horn Lake, MS * winserver.org
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to BORAXMAN on Thu Oct 14 14:25:00 2021
    BORAXMAN wrote to NIGHTFOX <=-

I've found FB more damaging than helpful in maintaining relationships
    with people. Maybe because I can't keep my mouth shut, but over FB discussions and debates tend to turn south more easily than if they
    were to happen face to face.

I think that's the Internet in general. Facebook is pretty much just
    a modern day forum or message board, and those devolve very easily,
    IMHO.

The fact that most BBS'ers are 'polite' is what keeps this from
    falling apart. :-)

... Heisenberg may have slept here.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to KSOURCE on Thu Oct 14 14:30:00 2021
    KSOURCE wrote to BORAXMAN <=-

It's weird. I like online discussions (even trolling and flameware I
    have no problems with). I like face-to-face discussions. Facebook was (probably still is) awful, though. Like you would THINK that since
    people have their real name attached to it, and are talking to their friends and family, they would be thoughtful about how a message is
    going to be received, but it seems to be the obvious. People just plow ahead and post whatever crazy nut lands in their coconut and don't
    think about the people reading it, I guess.

I think that's part of it... Remember in the old days when you would
    actually send and receive MAIL? Letters? Send your film out to be
    developed and prints come back in the mail a week or two later?

Those days are gone - now it's instant communication and instant
    gratification, so people don't HAVE to stop and think. They should
    (heck, I should too, but I try to maintain control - LOL).

... You've taken a vow of silence?? Tell me about it.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to BORAXMAN on Thu Oct 14 14:36:00 2021
    BORAXMAN wrote to KSOURCE <=-

Same here. It's a general rule, of course, that you should attack a
    position, not the person. We are sane adults and should be able to
    discuss pretty much anything without shouting. Communication is
    two way...

... You don't get once-in-a-lifetime offers like this every day.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to JIMMY ANDERSON on Mon Oct 25 08:48:39 2021
    By: JIMMY ANDERSON to BORAXMAN on Thu Oct 14 2021 02:25 pm

IMHO.

Have you ever seen FidoNet?

Nightfox

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Nightfox on Mon Oct 25 12:32:44 2021
    By: Nightfox to JIMMY ANDERSON on Mon Oct 25 2021 08:48 am

By: JIMMY ANDERSON to BORAXMAN on Thu Oct 14 2021 02:25 pm

a modern day forum or message board, and those devolve very easily, IMHO.

Nightfox

I think Fidonet is like an S&M Saloon. If you go in, you know what is going to happen and you are fine with it.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From HusTler@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Tue Oct 26 11:53:30 2021

Nightfox

HAve you ever seen MRO??

|04 HusTler

---
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to HusTler on Tue Oct 26 14:26:43 2021
    By: HusTler to Nightfox on Tue Oct 26 2021 11:53 am

HAve you ever seen MRO??

|04 HusTler

hey, it's not my fault you're an idiot. blame your parents.
    ---
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to NIGHTFOX on Tue Oct 26 14:18:00 2021
    NIGHTFOX wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

IMHO.

LOL - yeah, and that's the exception that proves the rule - ? :-)

... To eat, perchance, to barf.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    þ wcQWK 8.0 ÷ Omicron Theta *Cordova, TN * winserver.org
  • From Boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS to JIMMY ANDERSON on Fri Oct 29 12:29:00 2021
    JIMMY ANDERSON wrote to BORAXMAN <=-

@MSGID: <6176BD0E.120990.dove-gen@vert.synchro.net>
    BORAXMAN wrote to NIGHTFOX <=-

I've found FB more damaging than helpful in maintaining relationships
    with people. Maybe because I can't keep my mouth shut, but over FB discussions and debates tend to turn south more easily than if they
    were to happen face to face.

IMHO.

I think the audience you get with Facebook and Twitter is the problem. On a BBS you are only talking to a limited audience. We are all here for a reason, but with FB/Twitter not only can you talk to that person, you can rally support from everyone. This encourages the lynch mob mentality.

• From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Boraxman on Fri Oct 29 03:52:17 2021
    By: Boraxman to JIMMY ANDERSON on Fri Oct 29 2021 12:29 pm

I think the audience you get with Facebook and Twitter is the problem. On a BBS you are only talking to a limited audience. We are all here for a reason, but with FB/Twitter not only can you talk to that person, you can rally support from everyone. This encourages the lynch mob mentality.

with facebook the problem is everyone is on it. with bbses the problem is nobody is on it.

the internet just brings out the worst of people. i've seen elementary school teachers and people like that act truly evil on facebook. i'm probably the only person i know who is the same in real life.
    ---
  • From The Lizard Master@VERT/NITEEYES to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 08:01:26 2021

a modern day forum or message board, and those devolve very easily, IMHO.

Or the debate sub here?

---TLM

---
    þ Synchronet þ Nite Eyes BBS - To make people happy about my tagline everywhere...
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to The Lizard Master on Fri Oct 29 17:06:28 2021
    By: The Lizard Master to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 2021 08:01 am

Or the debate sub here?

dude, that shows how ignorant you are.

people here on dovenet dont even change the fucking msg subject when doing other topics, nor do they only debate in the debate sub, or use general for general, etc.
    ---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Boraxman on Fri Oct 29 06:06:00 2021
    Boraxman wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

I think the audience you get with Facebook and Twitter is the problem.
    On a BBS you are only talking to a limited audience. We are all here
    for a reason, but with FB/Twitter not only can you talk to that person, you can rally support from everyone. This encourages the lynch mob mentality.

With BBSes, you're reading posts in whatever order you pick - threaded, chronological, by title, and so forth. With Twitter and Facebook, you're reading content in an order that *they* *choose* in order to maximize
    eyeballs on their sites, and therefore their revenues.

It's the point at which social media platforms stop being services and start being publishers.

... Ask people to work against their better judgement
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Nov 1 22:04:00 2021
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Boraxman <=-

@MSGID: <617EAA36.49463.dove.dove-gen@realitycheckbbs.org>
    @REPLY: <617B5083.52788.dove-gen@bbs.mozysswamp.org>
    Boraxman wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

for a reason, but with FB/Twitter not only can you talk to that person, you can rally support from everyone. This encourages the lynch mob mentality.

With BBSes, you're reading posts in whatever order you pick - threaded, chronological, by title, and so forth. With Twitter and Facebook,
    you're reading content in an order that *they* *choose* in order to maximize eyeballs on their sites, and therefore their revenues.

It's the point at which social media platforms stop being services and start being publishers.

Also, it is harder to find historical content on Facebook and Twitter. Sometimes people ask questions on FB groups, they are anwered, but people have to keep reasking the same question over and over again, because the older solutions become difficult to find.

They say the Internet never forgets, but in actually, the modern web drops and loses information all the time.

• From Matthew Munson@VERT/IUTOPIA to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Oct 31 17:29:00 2021
    With BBSes, you're reading posts in whatever order you pick -
    threaded,
    chronological, by title, and so forth. With Twitter and Facebook,
    you're
    reading content in an order that *they* *choose* in order to maximize
    I would rather go back to the bbsing system, even though I am from the
    other ideology. I think bbsing would be a better enviroment. However many people are wary about going retro. However I would rather setup my own micro-network and have like 24 telnet lines avaliable for people to post
    random messages, but I think we need to train people how to do it.

---
    þ Talisman þ Inland Utopia - telnet://iutopia.duckdns.org:2023
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Matthew Munson on Wed Nov 3 18:08:46 2021
    By: Matthew Munson to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Oct 31 2021 05:29 pm

With BBSes, you're reading posts in whatever order you pick -
    threaded,
    chronological, by title, and so forth. With Twitter and Facebook,
    you're
    I would rather go back to the bbsing system, even though I am from the
    other ideology. I think bbsing would be a better enviroment. However many people are wary about going retro. However I would rather setup my own micro-network and have like 24 telnet lines avaliable for people to post random messages, but I think we need to train people how to do it.

nobody wants what bbses have to offer. and i can understand that.
    ---
  • From Cyberpope@VERT/TRMB to MRO on Wed Nov 3 17:18:49 2021
    By: Matthew Munson to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Oct 31 2021 05:29 pm

With BBSes, you're reading posts in whatever order you pick - threaded,
    chronological, by title, and so forth. With Twitter and Facebook, you're
    I would rather go back to the bbsing system, even though I am from the other ideology. I think bbsing would be a better enviroment. However many people are wary about going retro. However I would rather setup my own micro-network and have like 24 telnet lines avaliable for people to post random messages, but I think we need to train people how to do it.

Re Facebook, I have it working as I prefer: my choice of chrono timeline/newsfeed or familyl/friends first.

I use FBP (FB Purity, a Chrome extension that gives you thousands of points of control over your Facebook experience); it's actually made FB pleasurable again for me, but I try to avoid getting on there too often. . . got a life, you know. . . :)

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
    Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Cyberpope on Wed Nov 3 22:27:24 2021
    By: Cyberpope to MRO on Wed Nov 03 2021 05:18 pm

I use FBP (FB Purity, a Chrome extension that gives you thousands of points of control over your Facebook experience); it's actually made FB pleasurable again for me, but I try to avoid getting on there too often. . . got a life, you know. . . :)

i just checked out fbp just now and looks like it has really been scaled back. i dont think i really have a need for something like this. i liked it when it hid more content and showed the old version of fb.
    ---
  • From Matthew Munson@VERT/IUTOPIA to MRO on Wed Nov 3 21:27:00 2021
    I even noticed that even in 1997 when I called my old users to come back.

---
    þ Talisman þ Inland Utopia - telnet://iutopia.duckdns.org:2023
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Matthew Munson on Wed Nov 3 06:54:00 2021
    Matthew Munson wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

I would rather go back to the bbsing system, even though I am from the other ideology. I think bbsing would be a better enviroment. However
    many people are wary about going retro. However I would rather setup my own micro-network and have like 24 telnet lines avaliable for people to post random messages, but I think we need to train people how to do it.

The Fediverse shows a lot of promise - old school style communication,
    control over personal data, but uses modern interfaces.

... Do you have access to your previous configuration?
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Matthew Munson on Thu Nov 4 17:55:59 2021
    By: Matthew Munson to MRO on Wed Nov 03 2021 09:27 pm

I even noticed that even in 1997 when I called my old users to come back.

yeah i tried that too. people just prefer the web.
    ---
  • From Cyberpope@VERT/TRMB to MRO on Fri Nov 5 10:32:56 2021
    By: Cyberpope to MRO on Wed Nov 03 2021 05:18 pm

i just checked out fbp just now and looks like it has really been scaled back. i dont think i really have a need for something like this. i liked it when it hid more content and showed the old version of fb.

Facebook knows exactly what FBP was dfong & for how many people & have had their teams of coders wotrkingb on blocking it &/or getting around its controls.

Yup, mostly it just gives you control over your timeline view now. Between it & AdBlock+, I see no ads on FB or Youtube any more & I'm happy with that. . .

I want an ad blocker that just hides the ad, so it continues to play7 normally, so the host page I'm using gets paid in full.

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
    Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Cyberpope on Fri Nov 5 16:16:21 2021
    By: Cyberpope to MRO on Fri Nov 05 2021 10:32 am

Facebook knows exactly what FBP was dfong & for how many people & have had their teams of coders wotrkingb on blocking it &/or getting around its controls.

yeah they blocked his page and all kinds of shit.

what you should do is just use an adblock dns. they will make fb think the ad is showing but you wont see it.
    ---
  • From Cyberpope@VERT to MRO on Sun Nov 7 12:27:11 2021
    By: Cyberpope to MRO on Fri Nov 05 2021 10:32 am

yeah they blocked his page and all kinds of shit.

what you should do is just use an adblock dns. they will make fb think the ad is showing but you wont see it.

Like what, please? I'm not educated on these things. . .
    If it's free, I'm game to try it. . .

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Cyberpope on Sun Nov 7 18:28:20 2021
    By: Cyberpope to MRO on Sun Nov 07 2021 12:27 pm

Like what, please? I'm not educated on these things. . .
    If it's free, I'm game to try it. . .

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=adblock+dns
    ---
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to BORAXMAN on Mon Nov 8 09:49:00 2021
    BORAXMAN wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

IMHO.

Yep! Exactly what I was referring to. :-)

... More sugar!
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    þ wcQWK 8.0 ÷ Omicron Theta *Cordova, TN * winserver.org
  • From Mickey@VERT/MICKEY to JIMMY ANDERSON on Tue Nov 9 20:53:00 2021
    On 08 Nov 2021, JIMMY ANDERSON said the following...

BORAXMAN wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

you can rally support from everyone. This encourages the lynch mob mentality.

Yep! Exactly what I was referring to. :-)

Facebook is a waspnest. :-)

Mick Manning
    -(< centralontarioremote.com:2323 >)-
    -(< CanadaNET IRC centralontarioremote.com >)-
    -(< Gopher://centralontarioremote.com:70 >)-