• Over-the-air TV

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Thu Oct 28 14:42:40 2021
    I've never felt like I watch enough TV to justify paying $60 per month or more for a premium TV subscription (and currently I do have Amazon Prime, though I use that much more for the 2-day shipping when ordering from Amazon, and I don't use their streaming service very often). There are things I like to watch sometimes on over-the-air TV, such as local news and some game shows and sitcoms occasionally.

I think it's pretty cool that you can get digital TV for free over the air, if you're within range of the broadcast towers of course. (Even if it does have commercials, it's not something you have to pay money for.)

In the past few years, I'd heard about streaming TV tuners which pick up TV stations over the air and stream them over your local network with an app for smart TVs & mobile devices. I've only recently bought one though, and I think it's actually fairly cool.

First I had tried a Tablo DVR streaming tuner:
    https://www.tablotv.com
    I think the Tablo has a fairly easy to use interface. You can plug in a hard drive via its integrated SATA port or use an external USB hard drive if you want to DVR anything. Also, it supports ethernet and wifi for connectivity to your local network. It has 4 built-in TV tuners, so you can stream or record up to 4 channels at the same time.

I ended up returning the Tablo and bought a HDHomerun Flex 4K: https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-flex-4k/
    This does the same thing (and also has 4 TV tuners) but it has a couple advantages: 2 of its TV tuners support the newer ATSC 3.0 broadcast standard, which supports 4K and can provide better reception.
    One downside to the HDHomerun is that it only has an ethernet port for network connectivity (it doesn't have wifi). Also, I think the HDHomerun smart app for TVs & mobile devices isn't quite as polished as Tablo's. But on the plus side, the HDHomerun can be discovered on your network and used as a TV tuner for things like Plex (media server software). Plex can be used to stream over-the-air TV and can also be used as a DVR (with a Plex Pass subscription). I run Plex media server on a PC at home, and I think Plex provides a fairly nice user interface. TV shows recorded in Plex will automatically show up in Plex's "TV Shows". (If you record a movie broadcast over the air, I'm not sure if Plex will put it under "Movies", as I haven't tried that yet.)

I think another benefit of using a streaming TV tuner is that you can put your TV antenna and tuner in one room and not have to have a TV antenna for each TV you have; you can stream the TV channels to your TVs.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Thu Oct 28 19:09:13 2021
    Re: Over-the-air TV
    By: Nightfox to All on Thu Oct 28 2021 02:42 pm

I've never felt like I watch enough TV to justify paying $60 per month or more for a premium TV subscription (and currently I do have Amazon Prime, though I use that much more for the 2-day shipping when ordering from Amazon, and I don't use their streaming service very often). There are things I like to watch sometimes on over-the-air TV, such as local news and some game shows and sitcoms occasionally.

I think it's pretty cool that you can get digital TV for free over the air, if you're within range of the broadcast towers of course. (Even if it does have commercials, it's not something you have to pay money for.)

why dont you just skip all that and download the tv shows you want.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Thu Oct 28 20:02:24 2021
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Thu Oct 28 2021 07:09 pm

why dont you just skip all that and download the tv shows you want.

There are some TV shows I watch that I download. But as far as I know, you can't download local news broadcasts, and I've also had a hard time finding episodes of game shows like Jeopardy, etc. to download.

Also I'm not sure what it is, but sometimes there's something about watching live broadcasts that I like sometimes.

Anyway, antenna TV is an option to watch certain things and it's working for me.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 04:02:38 2021
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Thu Oct 28 2021 08:02 pm

There are some TV shows I watch that I download. But as far as I know, you can't download local news broadcasts, and I've also had a hard time finding episodes of game shows like Jeopardy, etc. to download.

Also I'm not sure what it is, but sometimes there's something about watching live broadcasts that I like sometimes.

Anyway, antenna TV is an option to watch certain things and it's working for me.

did you try pluto.tv? you can probably just watch local news broadcasts on their websites. are you the kind of person that runs a tv for the background noise?

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to MRO on Fri Oct 29 06:51:28 2021
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 2021 04:02 am

By: Nightfox to MRO on Thu Oct 28 2021 08:02 pm

There are some TV shows I watch that I download. But as far as I know, y can't download local news broadcasts, and I've also had a hard time findi episodes of game shows like Jeopardy, etc. to download.

Also I'm not sure what it is, but sometimes there's something about watch live broadcasts that I like sometimes.

Anyway, antenna TV is an option to watch certain things and it's working me.

did you try pluto.tv? you can probably just watch local news broadcasts on their websites. are you the kind of person that runs a tv for the backgroun noise?

It is not exactly the same thing, but when I am working at the store I have then radio running in the background for the hard rock music. It is cheaper than internet radio (because that would require me to hire a proper Internet connection to the place) and less cumbersome than podcasts (which I would have to download ofssite and then carry to the store).

I could also take part of my music collection to the store, but I like how the radio station throws something new to me from time to time.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Fri Oct 29 08:58:22 2021

did you try pluto.tv? you can probably just watch local news broadcasts on their websites.

I hadn't, but I just checked there and they don't seem to carry my local stations where I like to watch the local news. A couple months ago, I was using Locast to stream my local TV channels when it seemed that my over-the-air reception was bad, but this streaming tuner I bought has been working fairly well. As long as I can watch what I want, problem solved.

are you the kind of person that runs a tv for the
    background noise?

No, typically not.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Arelor on Fri Oct 29 09:27:10 2021
    By: Arelor to MRO on Fri Oct 29 2021 06:51 am

cheaper than internet radio (because that would require me to hire a proper Internet connection to the place) and less cumbersome than podcasts

'hire' an internet connection?

Nightfox

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 12:39:31 2021
    By: Nightfox to Arelor on Fri Oct 29 2021 09:27 am

cheaper than internet radio (because that would require me to hire a proper Internet connection to the place) and less cumbersome than podca

Nightfox

You know, when you pay an Internet Service Provider so they give you a plug to which you can connect computer equipment and access then Internet.

I have Internet in the store via thetering from my smartbut my data plan is cheap and tight so I cat wastreaming multimedia.

--

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Arelor on Fri Oct 29 12:11:14 2021
    By: Arelor to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 2021 12:39 pm

cheaper than internet radio (because that would require me to hire
    a proper Internet connection to the place) and less cumbersome
    than podca

You know, when you pay an Internet Service Provider so they give you a plug to which you can connect computer equipment and access then Internet.

Ah, I'd never heard anyone use "hire" in that context. Hiring usually refers to employing people (to do a job).

Nightfox

---
  • From Sys64738@VERT/TXNET1 to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 20:09:10 2021
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Oct 29 2021 08:58:22

did you try pluto.tv? you can probably just watch local news broadcasts on their websites.

I hadn't, but I just checked there and they don't seem to carry my local stations where I like to watch the local news. A couple months ago, I was using Locast to
    stream my local TV channels when it seemed that my over-the-air reception was bad, but this streaming tuner I bought has been working fairly well. As long as I can
    watch what I want, problem solved.

You might give www.vuit.com a try. I can get some of my local stations streaming through it.
    SYS64738

---
    þ Synchronet þ TEXNet
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Arelor on Fri Oct 29 18:48:00 2021
    Hello Arelor!

** On Friday 29.10.21 - 06:51, Arelor wrote to MRO:

[...] but when I am working at the store I have then radio
    running in the background for the hard rock music. It is
    cheaper than internet radio (because that would require me
    to hire a proper Internet connection to the place)[...]

What constitutes an imporoper connection? I don't you have
    hardwired internet for POS?

I could also take part of my music collection to the store,
    but I like how the radio station throws something new to me
    from time to time.

There are some fine streaming radio stations that provide a
    nice fresh variety. Sometimes I feel like something calm and
    sometimes something more upbeat. Even the old radio shows or
    comedy can be amusing.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
    * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 18:51:00 2021
    Hello Nightfox!

** On Friday 29.10.21 - 08:58, Nightfox wrote to MRO:

[...] but I just checked there and they don't seem to carry
    my local stations where I like to watch the local news.
    [...]

I find that plain-ol-radio is perfectly fine for local news.
    Most of the time, the TV version just uses stock or archival
    video for eye-candy. I could just as well listen to the TV and
    not even look at it to get the news.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 20:56:00 2021
    Hello Nightfox!

** On Friday 29.10.21 - 12:11, Nightfox wrote to Arelor:

Ah, I'd never heard anyone use "hire" in that context.
    Hiring usually refers to employing people (to do a job).

Arelor is an author/writer of stories. He likes to have a way
    with words.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Arelor on Fri Oct 29 20:58:00 2021
    Hello Arelor!

** On Friday 29.10.21 - 12:39, Arelor wrote to Nightfox:

I have Internet in the store via thetering from my smartbut
    my data plan is cheap and tight so I cat wastreaming
    multimedia.

Ah.. that answers my question too.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sat Oct 30 05:00:00 2021
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Oct 29 2021 08:58 am

I hadn't, but I just checked there and they don't seem to carry my local stations where I like to watch the local news. A couple months ago, I was using Locast to stream my local TV channels when it seemed that my over-the-air reception was bad, but this streaming tuner I bought has been working fairly well. As long as I can watch what I want, problem solved.

you can probably just watch your local news on their fb page or on their website.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sat Oct 30 05:01:14 2021
    By: Nightfox to Arelor on Fri Oct 29 2021 12:11 pm

Ah, I'd never heard anyone use "hire" in that context. Hiring usually refers to employing people (to do a job).

installing cable is a job, and in some cases they are paying for the install. actually they are paying for the install one way or another.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ogg on Sat Oct 30 07:07:35 2021
    By: Ogg to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 2021 06:51 pm

Hello Nightfox!

** On Friday 29.10.21 - 08:58, Nightfox wrote to MRO:

[...] but I just checked there and they don't seem to carry
    my local stations where I like to watch the local news.
    [...]

tv news, if you think about it is just a little bit of news. they want you to watch so they get money from their advertisers. you can just google news if you want it.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Sys64738 on Sat Oct 30 07:18:10 2021
    By: Sys64738 to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 2021 08:09 pm

By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Oct 29 2021 08:58:22

You might give www.vuit.com a try. I can get some of my local stations streaming through it.
    SYS64738

it has one of my local stations. well sort of. it sayhs vuit commercial break and we'll be right back. i guess the feed is down

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sat Oct 30 10:27:00 2021
    By: Nightfox to Arelor on Fri Oct 29 2021 09:27 am

cheaper than internet radio (because that would require me to hire a proper Internet connection to the place) and less cumbersome than podca

Nightfox

I'm guessing they are referring to paying for an internet provider

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Nightfox on Sat Oct 30 09:10:00 2021
    Hello Nightfox!

** On Thursday 28.10.21 - 20:02, Nightfox wrote to MRO:

Also I'm not sure what it is, but sometimes there's
    something about watching live broadcasts that I like
    sometimes.

The commercials can be relentless though. It's worse when the
    same commercial will repeat 4 or 6 times in the same hour.
    Here, the government-run Lottery ads seem to be non-stop.
    Commercials for strange-name drugs end with "Ask your doctor
    about [xxxxxx]." are annoying. There's even a commercial for
    a drug they are touting to affect Type-2 diabetes. The funny
    thing is that one of the side-effects of that drug is that it
    can CAUSE diabetes. But I digress..

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ogg on Sat Oct 30 11:18:13 2021
    By: Ogg to Nightfox on Fri Oct 29 2021 06:51 pm

Radio is fine, and I tend to listen to a local news station on the radion while I'm driving. They often share a lot of the same stories too. I guess I'm just used to watching the newscasters and the video with the news ton TV too.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ogg on Sat Oct 30 11:20:46 2021
    By: Ogg to Nightfox on Sat Oct 30 2021 09:10 am

Also I'm not sure what it is, but sometimes there's
    something about watching live broadcasts that I like
    sometimes.

The commercials can be relentless though. It's worse when the
    same commercial will repeat 4 or 6 times in the same hour.
    Here, the government-run Lottery ads seem to be non-stop.
    Commercials for strange-name drugs end with "Ask your doctor
    about [xxxxxx]." are annoying. There's even a commercial for
    a drug they are touting to affect Type-2 diabetes. The funny
    thing is that one of the side-effects of that drug is that it
    can CAUSE diabetes. But I digress..

Yeah, commercials can get annoying. Though when DVRing TV content with Plex, one thing it can do is auto-detect commercials. It has an option to leave the commercials in but mark them to be skipped (so when playing back the recording, you can have it skip commercials), or to remove the commercials altogether. Its commercial detection isn't perfect though, hence the various options.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sat Oct 30 11:28:43 2021
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Sat Oct 30 2021 05:00 am

you can probably just watch your local news on their fb page or on their website.

Probably. I know that works for some channels. There's one local channel near me that used to let you watch their local news on their web site, but a few months ago they stopped streaming it on their web site. Now you have to use their own app to stream it, and for that, you have to have a subscription with a premium TV provider and log in with them in order to stream news with their app. Since I don't really want to get a premium TV service, that's not going to work for me.

If you can get TV over the air, that's something that still just works and is free. I'm able to watch local news over the air (and I can DVR it to watch later if I really wanted to), and that's working for me for now.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sat Oct 30 11:36:23 2021
    By: MRO to Ogg on Sat Oct 30 2021 07:07 am

tv news, if you think about it is just a little bit of news. they want you to watch so they get money from their advertisers. you can just google news if you want it.

Same with anyhing on TV, really. They try to make content people want to watch so that they get money from advertisers.

Nightfox

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Sun Oct 31 19:53:00 2021
    Hello MRO!

** On Saturday 30.10.21 - 07:07, MRO wrote to Ogg:

tv news, if you think about it is just a little bit of
    news. they want you to watch so they get money from their
    advertisers. you can just google news if you want it.

Nah. The tv/radio is an automated solution to getting the news.
    When it's playing, I can be busy with something else, or just
    laying back with my eyes closed. The basic news is done in a
    few minutes.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ogg on Mon Nov 1 18:26:33 2021
    By: Ogg to MRO on Sun Oct 31 2021 07:53 pm

Hello MRO!

news. they want you to watch so they get money from their
    advertisers. you can just google news if you want it.

you can do that with a news website's videos.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Sun Oct 31 07:46:00 2021
    Nightfox wrote to Ogg <=-

Radio is fine, and I tend to listen to a local news station on the
    radion while I'm driving. They often share a lot of the same stories
    too. I guess I'm just used to watching the newscasters and the video
    with the news ton TV too.

I used to listen to a lot of talk radio. Tried it again recently with a
    local station and couldn't handle the low, gravelly, slow talking, what sounded like long-time old-school radio talent. Went back to podcasts and audiobooks quickly thereafter.

... Display your talent
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to MRO on Tue Nov 2 06:11:29 2021
    By: MRO to Ogg on Mon Nov 01 2021 06:26 pm

By: Ogg to MRO on Sun Oct 31 2021 07:53 pm

Hello MRO!

news. they want you to watch so they get money from their advertisers. you can just google news if you want it.

Actually, Fox Radio has a podcast service in which they give you the news in only 2 minutes without ornaments.

I think it is a nice way of haivng a quick fix of news, if you think there is such a thing as news worth listening to.

--

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Nov 2 21:40:00 2021
    Re: Re: Over-the-air TV
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Sun Oct 31 2021 07:46 am

Radio is fine, and I tend to listen to a local news station on the radion while I'm driving. They often share a lot of the same stories too. I guess I'm just used to watching the newscasters and the video with the news ton TV too.

I used to listen to a lot of talk radio. Tried it again recently with a local station and couldn't handle the low, gravelly, slow talking, what sounded like long-time old-school radio talent. Went back to podcasts and audiobooks quickly thereafter.

... Display your talent

Talk radio is beginning to sound like a broken record. Same crap every day.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Moondog on Wed Nov 3 15:48:21 2021
    By: Moondog to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Nov 02 2021 09:40 pm

By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Sun Oct 31 2021 07:46 am

Radio is fine, and I tend to listen to a local news station on the radion while I'm driving. They often share a lot of the same storie too. I guess I'm just used to watching the newscasters and the vide with the news ton TV too.

I used to listen to a lot of talk radio. Tried it again recently with a local station and couldn't handle the low, gravelly, slow talking, what sounded like long-time old-school radio talent. Went back to podcasts and audiobooks quickly thereafter.

... Display your talent

Talk radio is beginning to sound like a broken record. Same crap every day.

That is why I hear Rock stations rather than general stations with newscasts and the like.

I am the sort of person who is disconnected from the news. I don't watch TV and I don't read general press. Recently, I visited somebody who had the TV set turned on for background noise, and after about 3 years of not being exposed to TV news, I can only say I am horrified.

The news there were just selling fear, shamelessly. It was like an obvious fear campaing. It was just as if they had given one of those madmen who preaches the Apocalypse with a cardboard sign a TV station and let him run the news.

My theory is that they have turned the news into Apocalyptic propaganda so slowly that people who is regularly exposed to it has not noticed. The difference, though is noticeable from three years ago to today.

--

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Wed Nov 3 20:14:00 2021
    Hello MRO!

** On Monday 01.11.21 - 18:26, MRO wrote to Ogg:

Nah. The tv/radio is an automated solution to getting the
    news. When it's playing, I can be busy with something else,
    or just laying back with my eyes closed. The basic news is
    done in a

Nah. The radio is set to turn on at 6:30am. The halfhour
    focuses on localized news. Then, while still squirming around
    in bed in the moring, the news on the hour includes some
    national or international items. All that and I can just stay
    in bed.

Apparently, the tv can be configured to turn on at specific
    times during the week too. But the radio is better cause
    between the :30 point and the :00 point there is interesting
    music and announcer banter between those times. Again, all
    from the comfort of bed.

Besides.. I don't have unlimited 24/7 live internet here.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ogg on Thu Nov 4 08:43:00 2021
    By: Ogg to MRO on Wed Nov 03 2021 08:14 pm

What kind of internet plan do you have?

Nightfox

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Nightfox on Thu Nov 4 21:49:00 2021
    Hello Nightfox!

** On Thursday 04.11.21 - 08:43, Nightfox wrote to Ogg:

Cell, mobile data with a monthly allowance of 5GB, advertised
    as "unlimited data", but after 5GB, the data service is
    throttled down at least 100x.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Ogg on Fri Nov 5 04:19:02 2021
    By: Ogg to Nightfox on Thu Nov 04 2021 09:49 pm

Hello Nightfox!

That is pretty much what I have for the store, except they phne me if I am over limit and I can decide whether pay extra to keep Internet going or have it cut for the rest of the month.

My real consumption here is about 2 Gb per month because I am careful with ussage.

--

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Arelor on Fri Nov 5 08:31:00 2021
    Hello Arelor!

** On Friday 05.11.21 - 04:19, Arelor wrote to Ogg:

That is pretty much what I have for the store, except they phne me if I am over limit and I can decide whether pay extra to keep Internet going or have it cut for the rest of the month.

It's an actual cut-off? That is so 2017. :/

The "unlimited" promos here are misleading, especially when the
    throttling was originally only mentioned in the smallprint or a
    subpage. Now, it's more upfront.

My real consumption here is about 2 Gb per month because I am careful with ussage.

Wow. 2GB is very thrifty. Just Spotify would eat that up
    pretty fast.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ogg on Fri Nov 5 11:55:29 2021
    By: Ogg to Nightfox on Thu Nov 04 2021 09:49 pm

Hello Nightfox!

that fucking sucks. i know someone in the usa in virginia who is about 50 ft away from broadband and has to have the same type of provider as you.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ogg on Fri Nov 5 12:03:07 2021
    By: Ogg to Arelor on Fri Nov 05 2021 08:31 am

pretty fast.

you both are in the dark ages. i burn up 5 gigs just doing nothing and having my computer connected to the internet all day.

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Ogg on Fri Nov 5 13:54:59 2021

Hello Arelor!

** On Friday 05.11.21 - 04:19, Arelor wrote to Ogg:

That is pretty much what I have for the store, except they phne me if I over limit and I can decide whether pay extra to keep Internet going or have it cut for the rest of the month.

My real consumption here is about 2 Gb per month because I am careful wi ussage.

pretty fast.

My ISP provider is known as a vampire of wallets, but they happen to offer the best service in absolute terms: better coverage, their network is not duct-taped... you get the idea. So I tolerate the cut-off crap. I never hit the limit anyway.

2 GB is easy to achieve since the only thing I do from that connection is POS stuff and BBSing.

--

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to MRO on Fri Nov 5 13:58:19 2021
    By: MRO to Ogg on Fri Nov 05 2021 12:03 pm

The "unlimited" promos here are misleading, especially when the throttling was originally only mentioned in the smallprint or a

pretty fast.

you both are in the dark ages. i burn up 5 gigs just doing nothing and havi my computer connected to the internet all day.

The computer dangling from that connection has an uptime of eleven hours per day and it is connected all that time.

It just does not consume traffic unless told to. No Windows updates or calling home.

The ammount of work you can do with a 60 bucks computer and a 15 bucks internet plan is amazing.

--

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Arelor on Fri Nov 5 16:29:56 2021
    By: Arelor to MRO on Fri Nov 05 2021 01:58 pm

It just does not consume traffic unless told to. No Windows updates or calling home.

The ammount of work you can do with a 60 bucks computer and a 15 bucks internet plan is amazing.

you may think it's amazing, but it's SHIT.

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to MRO on Fri Nov 5 18:43:36 2021
    By: MRO to Arelor on Fri Nov 05 2021 04:29 pm

The deployment is shit, but the ammount of work you can do with shit is amazing.

I would have an HPC cluster with multiple racks connected by infiniband in order to run my inventory, but since that is out of my budget I have to settle with stuff I can afford and force it to work.

--

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Arelor on Fri Nov 5 20:26:08 2021
    By: Arelor to MRO on Fri Nov 05 2021 06:43 pm

By: MRO to Arelor on Fri Nov 05 2021 04:29 pm

The deployment is shit, but the ammount of work you can do with shit is amazing.

I would have an HPC cluster with multiple racks connected by infiniband in order to run my inventory, but since that is out of my budget I have to settle with stuff I can afford and force it to work.

i mean your internet provider is shit

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Arelor on Sat Nov 6 08:57:00 2021
    Hello Arelor!

** On Friday 05.11.21 - 13:54, Arelor wrote to Ogg:

My ISP provider is known as a vampire of wallets, but [...]

:D

[...] So I tolerate the cut-off crap. I never hit the limit
    anyway.

But what about product research (for customers or for
    yourself), website work, coping with emails from suppliers that
    include large attachments?

I can easily reach the mid hundred MBytes of incoming email
    when they include large PDF sellsheets, product images, either
    embedded or attached, and that is just one DAY. One week could
    push me up to 2GB easy.

But I have true unlimited DSL at the shop though. Having the
    landline phone costs more than then DSL. :( Phone=$80/m and
    NO special features - not even callerID. DSL=$35/mo. I was
    thinking of turning the landline to one of those dry-loop
    versions for internet only, and just use a cellphone for calls.

2 GB is easy to achieve since the only thing I do from that
    connection is POS stuff and BBSing.

In the past, my DSL went down a few times. I simply used my
    phone as a hotspot. That saved the day. But I that sucked up
    more data than I expected. I was left with much less for
    personal use when at home.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Ogg on Sun Nov 7 10:04:55 2021
    By: Ogg to Arelor on Sat Nov 06 2021 08:57 am

[...] So I tolerate the cut-off crap. I never hit the limit
    anyway.

But what about product research (for customers or for
    yourself), website work, coping with emails from suppliers that
    include large attachments?

Product research does not consume that much bandwidth. Specially if you use ad filtering and work with javascript disabled.

The website is automated. Maintenance I do when I am out of the store itself.

If an attachment is big I just don't download it in the shop. My actual
    email traffic from non customers is low once you filter spammers out anyway.

--

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Arelor on Fri Nov 5 07:01:00 2021
    Arelor wrote to Ogg <=-

That is pretty much what I have for the store, except they phne me if I
    am over limit and I can decide whether pay extra to keep Internet going
    or have it cut for the rest of the month.

My real consumption here is about 2 Gb per month because I am careful
    with ussage.

I wonder if a web proxy would help these days with SSL everywhere.

My son started living with us fulltime, and October was the first month that we went over our bandwidth cap - 1229gb/month. He downloaded a couple of
    games from Steam and was basing the bandwidth use on the installer - not all of the textures that download afterwards.

What didn't help was moving my home network from a 20 mbps powerline network to gigabit ethernet. :)

... What do you think of the guests?
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Nov 7 12:38:52 2021
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Fri Nov 05 2021 07:01 am

I wonder if a web proxy would help these days with SSL everywhere.

The SSL overhead is not bad enough that an SSL accelerator will make a difference there, I'd say.

What will make a difference is a proxy with ad-blocking integrated.

Games are a special case because, like torrent and streaming, they rape your bandwidth very hard.

--

---
  • From HusTler@VERT/PHARCYDE to Arelor on Tue Nov 9 21:55:08 2021
    By: Arelor to MRO on Fri Nov 05 2021 06:43 pm

Let's shorten these posts a bit eh??

|07 HusTler

---
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Arelor on Mon Nov 8 06:49:00 2021
    Arelor wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

What will make a difference is a proxy with ad-blocking integrated.

Yep, I use u-Block Origin on my desktop, and I'm amazed when I see my son's web browser without an adblocker.'

I've been playing with piHole on a VM, and Adguard Home on my router - it'd
    be nice to block ads from getting even getting past the firewall.

... Simple subtraction
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52