• Commodore Free Magazine, Issue 53 - Part 7

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/281 to all on Sat Sep 17 12:56:43 2011

Just like buses that come in three, here is a second game in the Doom style
    for the UNEXPANDED VIC! From the same coder we have a version running on the unexpanded Vic 20, this version doesn’t have any monsters, and here you are up
    against a timer to find the keys to get to the next level. Its all fast paced, zoom around looking for keys and exits before the time runs out (lamp) then
    you make your way to the next level to find more keys, lots going on very fast paced. The game has a map so you know where you are and where you need to go. Another great effort on the Vic

Don’t have a Vic head to here and watch a short demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o_lPwASqyU

Information from the Programmer
    Make your way to floor 256 before your lamp expires!
    Choose from a fixed series of maps, or random maps.

Keys
    W, A, S, D ... move
    J, L ... turn
    I ... map

Joystick
    Directions ... move
    Fire ... map

http://www.kweepa.com/step/vic20/thekeep.prg

Enjoy!
    Kweepa

Follow the progress on the denial forum here http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5262

COMMODORE FREE INTERVIEW WITH
    NAFCOM FROM POL

Q. Please introduce yourself to our readers.

Hello and welcome, I am Joerg Droege from Germany. Being active in the scene since 1998, as organizer for my own group, magazine and testing games.

Q. How may our reader recognise you, what Commodore projects have you worked on?

I have been running up and down all golden cracking groups asking them to release a fixed version of Outrun Europa, (which's music playing routine is awful and damaged) for years, until I found Hokuto Force to do it with me.
    I got all the people together, some were no more than demo sceners and
    involved in cracks, and we released the best version out there :)

I am also organizer of a magazine on diskette called "Scene World"; the
    special thing here is that we focus on covering the NTSC scene as well as the PAL scene, and assure that the magazines runs perfectly on NTSC as well.
    Also we included IDE64 support (latest magsys version does autodetect that). Furthermore I worked for a short period of time for magazines like Digital
    Talk and Arachnophobia (which was my fave diskmag and is now unfortunately pretty dead).

Q. The handle Nafcom where did this come from?

That's quick to tell: Using the reverse of "fan", and taking the first 3
    letter of "Commodore" equals "Nafcom"! :)

Q. You are one of the founding members of POL, who or what is POL and what
    does it stand for? How was POL formed, and what was the reason for the groups formation?

P.o.L. was founded back in February by Silverfox, Diabolo and myself as
    "Power of Lamers" to prove to the scene that you can also release something if you are not part of the elite. We released a magazine written in Basic, called "Pulp", that was German and was pretty advanced even for something being just written in BASIC.

Later on, Silverfox lost interested in his own group and quit, while I took over to turn into an international group. I always had the idea to release something that would get the NTSC and PAL sceners work together, and since Driven back then (and now again) was dead already, the NTSC scene had no magazine on disk anymore. I was up there to fill the gab.

We renamed ourselves to "People of Liberty" and all members are friends I knew from other groups. We found the idea was cool and so we united and released something!

Q. Can you list the current members?

(inactive members not included)

Black (7/1-2004 -> ) Coder
    Crome (29/3-2001 -> ) Musician
    Drake (9/6-2001 -> ) Diskmag Editor, Graphician
    IQ-Dna (30/4-2004 -> ) Diskmag Editor
    Megatron (12-1999 -> ) Cover Designer, Graphician
    Nafcom (2-1999 -> ) Diskmag Editor, Organizer, Webmaster
    The Overkiller (4/4-2002 -> ) Diskmag Editor, Net Trader, Public Relations
    Manager

Q. Can you explain what this Disk based magazine is and how would our reader obtain a copy?

It's about converting NTSC and PAL related news. That includes also games
    news, PC related news that is connected to the C64 (e.g. emulator news, etc). The magazine runs on any C64 out there (hence the term Disk Magazine), even on emulators and special hardware like the IDE64.

Another cool thing is: you can control it with a joystick, the keyboard or a 1531 mouse! You can obtain a copy by downloading from the internet on various sources like the C64 Scene Database, Pouet or from our homepage at:
    www.sceneworld.c64 .

I will also be nice and send you a copy on real disk if you send me a letter
    or email: nafcom@c64.org

Q. One prolific writer won a competition in SCENE World magazine I think it
    was me! Ah yes it was, How can a reader contribute to Scene world magazine,
    and do you feel we are in competition with each other I.e. C= Free and Scene World?

Indeed that was you Nigel! :)

No, we are not in competition. Neither with the various diskmags or among each other, nor even with the papermags, may they be free or commercial. In fact a co-operation is always welcome! We had co-operations with LoadStar and the GO64! Magazine for example.

Q. Why did you feel there was a need for the Disk magazine Scene World?

I didn't like the fact that the NTSC scene was not involved in what is happening in PAL land, and the other way round! Also Driven is dead, so there has to be somebody filing the gap!

Q. How often are the issues released, and the magazine took a break for some time can you explain what circumstances caused this?

Back in 2005, we have been on the top of the diskmag charts on 2 magazines (Arachnophobia and Vandalism News, I believe), despite certain sceners always nagging on us saying we are sooooo cheesy. Demotivated by the negative
    comments over the years, we decided to stop it.

When I visited Andrew last year, we decided we grab all we have from 2005 and release ONE >FINAL issue. The feedback on this one has been so positive that
    we decided to continue :)

Q. Do you work to a deadline or just when you have enough text to produce a copy?

We work per deadline, even though personal issues of some editing staff

--- CrashWrite 2.0
    * Origin: --:)----- Dragon's Lair BBS -----(:-- (39:901/281)