• Commodore Free Magazine, Issue 53 - Part 6

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/281 to all on Sat Sep 17 12:56:27 2011
    hero lost in a forest doomed to the elements, fighting for survival against
    all manner of beasts, with only a gun to save you from natures ravaging
    daemons of peril.

The tape version has the usual SEUCK Compo 2011 loading screen and music, Once the game loads you are given a brief title screen. Quite nice Scary forest
    type music plays on the title screen, with discordant sounds, setting the game up well, as it builds up into some sort of techno music, which doesn’t seem to fit the them of the game at all.

Your job is basically to master and tame the forest and find the treasure, you can walk left and right and shoot left right and diagonally walking left and pressing down causes you to crouch down.

Pressing fire and launching the game sees our man bottom middle of the screen, with our hero and his flame blowing gun, move in a direction and press fire to blast out killer erm flame thingys , you need to walk left here on the main screen, and more creatures will appear, some on webs some running over the floor, it does get very hectic and fast action is abundant, something unusual for a SEUCK game.

Just to show I am not actually totally rubbish at playing games I made it to level 2, here I am being attacked by some killer massive mutating bees, same thing different graphics , the animation on the bees is quite good and the movement how they suddenly lurch from a hovering point and then follow you, seems very bee like!

For a SEUCK its very good indeed, it does have a one more go feel you expect from a good game, and as you move to the bees the levels toughness increases just enough, sadly my playing skills wouldn’t let me beat this level, but that’s me not the game.

Nicely thought out action, and great sprites the forest backgrounds look
    really good, with all the action it sometimes escapes me to duck rather then try my shooting skills, that do seem rather poor. With some in game music and tweaking this could easily be worthy of a commercial release on it own right and if it were to be commercially released then I would purchase a copy.

It’s always interesting how the SEUCK engine can be used to create very original looking games. Although sadly the engines limitations mean the games will never make exceptional titles (not without some inward tweaking of code), or unless as some have done they are enhanced with “tweaking” by using extras
    it’s a great effort and well though out

Credits :
    Code Chris Yates / Jon Wells
    Music Richard of Blazon, Scene World Magazine, The New Dimension Graphics Alf Yngve
    Design Alf Yngve
    Loader Martin Piper

Download : http://noname.c64.org/csdb/getinternalfile.php/98165/Forgotten_Forest_DISK.d64 http://noname.c64.org/csdb/getinternalfile.php/98163/Forgotten_Forest.zip http://noname.c64.org/csdb/getinternalfile.php/98164/Forgotten_Forest_TAPE.tap

Graphics 6/10
    Music 4/10 Just in game sounds and the tape loading screen
    Gameplay 6/10
    Overall 6/10

VicDoom
    It had to happen, the impossible now made possible, the unthinkable has been re-thunked! Of course; it was only a matter of time, and now that time has passed, some genius has ported DOOM now to the VIC-20! Well, ok, don’t get to excited (although it’s a great achievement) you have to work within the machines limitations. This version needs to have quite a large memory
    expansion pack, and playing it with WinVice I had to setup 40k, to play the game demo.

To setup the Vice emulator you need to run vice
    In a windowed environment you do this by starting start XVIC

Then click on the SETTINGS option and then the VIC settings options

Then select FULL BLOCKS 0/1/2/3/5

Then perform a reset of the emulator using the keyboard shortcut keys using ALT + R
    You should see (if everything has worked) the memory goes up from 3583 Bytes Free

To 28159 Bytes Free

You can now drag the file into vice to run it or Mount the D64 click
    FILE then click
    ATTACH DISK IMAGE
    Select drive 8
    And navigate to where the file was downloaded from

Pixelled and coded by Denial member Kweepa this first person shooter runs in 32×64 pixels.  The games frame rate is about 3 or 5 frames per second, so the tech sheet says.  There is a map to view your progress in the game and sound and music is planned, although memory requirements even with the Expansion are high. The Code is a mixture of C and some assembly language.

To download the files you need to look here

https://github.com/Kweepa/vicdoom

Click on the GREEN DOWNLOAD button and select ZIP file, this contains all the source files and also the latest D64 disk image to try out, you need to hunt around the downloaded zip file for the d64 but its in there, unless you want
    to compile your own version.

If you click this link Kweepa has some test music that sounds amazing on the Vic, very DOOM but as stated, memory requirements are so tight it couldn’t be included, just yet! http://www.kweepa.com/step/vic20/doom/testmusic.prg

Because the memory requirements are so high its prevented me trying the game
    on a real Vic, (I didn’t have a large enough memory expansion card) so I had to use emulation, the frame rate sadly lets the game down, however we must remember this is a work in progress and so as such isn’t a finished item, some
    interesting Doom style elements have been implemented like the guys face that animates.

Documentations says the keys needed to play the game are
    1234 SELECT WEAPON
    TAB MAP
    FIRE W
    A S D MOVE
    J L TURN
    K USE

Although while playing I found S moves back
    W moves forward
    A D move left right
    I Fire key
    K Open door

The game does have “aliens” that move round and can shoot you, and you can shoot them, as a “preview” it’s looking pretty good and of course who doesn’t
    have a soft spot for the Vic

As the Vic was my first Computer and I still have the original packing and datasette, I do feel an affection towards the machine, at the time it was such a breakthrough

THE KEEP
    A game for the unexpanded Vic 20.

--- CrashWrite 2.0
    * Origin: --:)----- Dragon's Lair BBS -----(:-- (39:901/281)