• C= Free Magazine, Issue 98 - Part 7

From C= Free Magazine@39:901/280 to All on Sun Feb 25 19:23:32 2024
    efforts. At the time I felt the music didn't really match the c64 version as
    it felt weedy -- almost a disco version. This was, after all: war, blud 'n' guts, and death. I still look out for the machine, and from time to time see
    it in the arcades. When I do and if it's working, then my money is all but gone!

Watch the arcade ROM Running under MAME emulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmlM1KS7txE&t=9s

AMIGA CONVERSION

Ported to the Amiga in 1989 by Elite Systems. The game puts you in the role of a lone soldier who must infiltrate enemy bases and destroy their forces. You can use a machine gun and grenades to fight your way through eight levels of increasing difficulty, each with a boss at the end. The game features smooth scrolling, colorful graphics, and catchy music that creates an immersive atmosphere. The game is very challenging as you have to dodge bullets, bombs, and traps -- while facing hordes of enemies. The game is faithful to the original arcade version, but it also adds some extra features, such as a two-player mode, a level editor, and a cheat mode. It is considered by many
    as one of the best shooters on the Amiga and a must-play for fans of the genre.

C= FREE AMIGA REVIEW

The game feels very slick, the music is great although it feels too smooth for the game, lacking the Commodore 64's hard-hitting relentless drive, but, however, sounds close to the arcade version. Sound effects and sprites look
    and feel again genuine to the arcade version. The main gameplay scrolls
    through nicely and even when you have an army of bullets and enemies the gameplay doesn't slow down at all. Side by side with the Atari ST version
    they look similar but the Atari version seems to have larger sprites. Both, however, look and feel close to the original arcade machine. Not a bad conversion.

Sound 4/5 Too smooth and nice, but genuine
    Gameplay 4/5 As good as the arcade
    Graphics 5/5 Looks like the arcade
    Overall 4/5 Not much wrong

Watch the Amiga full gameplay version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWc3wNTDmjI&t=14s

Commodore 64 version

The Commodore 64 version of Commando was developed and published by Elite Systems in 1985. The game features three levels of intense action, where the player controls a commando who must shoot his way through enemy soldiers, tanks, helicopters, and fortifications. The game is praised for its
    fast-paced gameplay, smooth scrolling, and catchy music. However, the game
    also has some flaws, such as disappearing sprites, slowdowns, and glitches.

The game was considered to be too easy and short for experienced players.

Overall, Commando is a fun and addictive game that showcases the capabilities of the Commodore 64. It is one of the best arcade conversions on the system, and a must-play for fans of the genre. The game has a score of 4.2 out of 5
    on Lemon64,

C= FREE REVIEW COMMONDO C64

Well as stated before, this was actually the first version I played before seeing it on an arcade machine, I bought the game from a local chemist store (yes they really did sell computer cassettes) it just looked cool on the
    cover. For me it's the Rob Hubbard music that lifts the game into something else. The music perfectly fits the action with its pounding bass & relentless driving, and the squawking nature seems to make it really fit a blood and
    guts arcade adventure. Of course, with the limitations of the SID sound chip
    it was possibly the only route he could take.

Fairly faithful to the original arcade version, it does feel like the game
    was rushed. The music is cut out by the sounds of gun shot and firing, but
    with only three sound channels it is always a trade off. The graphics,
    although looking good, it’s the sprite multiplexor (more than one sprite
    make up a graphical character) that fails in this version where half a car drives past! It gets confusing. to say the least. The gameplay slows down
    with too much on-screen action and even the music begins to take on a more relaxed vibe

Graphics 3/5
    Sound 5/5 you nailed it
    Gameplay 4/5 slowdowns and multiplex issues
    Overall 4/5 feels rushed

Commodore 16 version

The Commodore 16 version is very different from the arcade original, as it
    only features small sections from the first level, split into five single screens. The graphics are also very basic, and the sound is limited to beeps and explosions. The game is very challenging, as the enemies are relentless
    and the player has only three lives. The game received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the gameplay but criticized the graphics and sound. Some reviewers also noted that the game was too difficult and frustrating for
    casual players.

Commodore 16 version is a huge disappointment. The game is reduced to a series of static screens, with poor graphics and sound, and a difficulty level that
    is almost impossible to beat. The game loses all the charm and excitement of the original, and becomes a tedious and frustrating exercise in trial and error. The only positive aspect of the game is that it is faithful to the arcade gameplay, but that is not enough to save it from being a waste of time and money. Commando on the Commodore 16 is a game that should be avoided by
    all means, unless you are a masochist or a collector.

C= FREE review C16/+4 commando:

Well, it went a little downhill here for the c16 version of the game. Not only are they static screens, but we seem to have lost the gameplay plot
    altogether. The c16 and plus 4 deserve so much more from this game. How the publishers at the time had the nerve to release such an effort and then ask
    for money for the game, let alone command the name is just beyond my belief.

Gameplay 1/5
    Graphics 1/5
    Sound 1/5 bleep
    Overall 1/5 oh dear

Long play on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAKmhqOEfgA&t=16s

Plus/4 recreation of Commando TED rendition of Rob Hubbard's song. Coded by TCFS design in 1992

This version is what should have been released, it's quite faithful to the

---
    * Origin: Dragon's Lair BBS: dragon.vk3heg.net Prt 6800 (39:901/280.0)