• C= Free Magazine, Issue 98 - Part 2

From C= Free Magazine@39:901/280 to All on Sun Feb 25 19:23:18 2024
    using the thumb drive. Overall, the 1541 Ultimate Mk 2 is a highly recommended product for anyone who owns a C64 and wants to enjoy the best of both worlds: the nostalgia of the original hardware and the convenience of modern technology. It is a well-designed, well-made, and well-supported device that can enhance the C64 experience in many ways. It is not cheap, but it is worth every penny. Ultimate64 - Product Page

https://ultimate64.com/U2P_Cartridge_Black

...a more in-depth review
    https://c64os.com/post/1541UIIplusreview
    1541 Ultimate - Wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1541_Ultimate

When I have had time to play fully with my device (I have only just purchas
    ed it) I will write a full user review. Thanks C=FREE

A Pioneer of the Home Computer Industry

While I am breaking no new boundaries here and not intending to cover every option available (others do that more professionally than I) or if you want
    a full history then look no further than these two extensive books cover Commodore better than I ever could -- I was asked recently to give a brief history anyway, I'm going off track...If you're new to Commodore then this
    text will give you a brief history for a more in-depth guide buy the two book
    s listed here: On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise & Fall of Commodore
    Commodore: A Company on the Edge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brian-Bagnall/e/ B001IXNYBA?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2&qid=1705410300&sr=1-2

Commodore Business Machines (CBM) was a subsidiary of Commodore International, an American company that played a major role in the development of the home computer industry during the the 1970s and 1980s. CBM was founded in 1954 by Jack Tramiel, who was a Polish immigrant and Auschwitz survivor, he started
    the company as a typewriter and adding machine business in Toronto, Canada.

In the 1960s, CBM expanded its operations to Europe and Asia, and diversified its products to include office furniture, radio and stereo equipment, and calculators. However, the company faced financial difficulties due to the
    price war in the calculator market, and Tramiel decided to enter the emerging field of personal computers.

In 1977, CBM introduced the Commodore PET, one of the first all-in-one home computers, which featured a keyboard, a monitor, a cassette drive, and a built-in BASIC interpreter. The PET was very popular in the education market, and established CBM as a leader in the personal computer industry.

In 1982, CBM launched the Commodore 64, which became the best-selling computer of all time, with over 17 million units sold. The Commodore 64 was a powerful and affordable machine, with 64 KB of RAM, a 16-color graphics chip, a 3-channel sound chip. The Commodore 64 dominated the home computer market in the early to mid-1980s, and created a loyal fan base of users and developers.

The Commodore EMAX

Based on the same hardware as the Commodore 64, using the same 6510 processor, the VIC-II graphics chip, and the SID sound chip. However, the EMAX did not have a built-in BASIC interpreter, and required a cartridge to run BASIC programs. The cartridges were compatible with the Commodore 64. The EMAX had only one joystick port on each side, and no serial or user ports. It also had no AV output, and used an RF modulator for video and a 3.5 mm jack for audio.

The EMAX was intended to be a cheaper alternative to the Commodore 64 and the VIC-20, and was planned to be released worldwide. However, it faced strong competition from other consoles and computers, and was not well received by
    the Japanese market. It was also overshadowed by the success of the Commodore 64, which offered much more features and capabilities. The EMAX was soon discontinued, and only a few thousand units were produced.

The Commodore SX-64

The SX64 was a portable version of the Commodore 64, released in 1983. It was the first full-color portable computer, featuring a built-in five-inch monitor and a 1541 floppy drive, and aimed at business users, but it was not very successful due to its high price, heavy weight, and compatibility issues with some C64 software and hardware. The SX-64 had a different default screen color and device number than the C64, which could cause problems with programs that assumed the C64’s settings. It also lacked a cassette port and an RF port, so couldn’t use tape or a TV as an output device.

The SX-64 was discontinued in 1986, after selling only about 10,000 units.
    The SX-64 was also known as the Executive 64 or the VIP-64 in Europe. It had a few variants, such as the DX-64, which had two floppy drives, and the
    Commodore LCD, which was a prototype laptop with a monochrome LCD screen124

The Commodore 128

The last 8-bit home computer released by Commodore in 1985. It was a successor to the Commodore 64, with improved features and some compatibility. Th machine had two CPUs: a MOS 8502 (a slightly improved version of the 6510) for
    running Commodore software, and a Zilog Z80 for running CP/M software. It also had two video chips: a VIC-IIe for 40-column mode, and a MOS 8563 for
    80-column mode. It had 128 KB of RAM, expandable to 640 KB with a RAM
    expansion unit.

The main hardware designer was Bil Herd, who had also worked on the Commodore Plus/4. Other hardware engineers were Dave Haynie and Frank Palaia, while the IC design work was done by Dave DiOrio. The main Commodore system software was developed by Fred Bowen and Terry Ryan, while the CP/M subsystem was developed by Von Ertwine. The machine sold about 2.5 million units worldwide, making it less successful to the Commodore 64, which sold over 17 million units. The Commodore 128 was discontinued in 1989, as Commodore shifted its focus to the 16-bit Amiga line.

Four main versions of the Commodore 128 were manufactured:
    - The **C128**, which was the standard model with a redesigned case and keyboard, 128 KB of RAM, two CPUs (8502 and Z80), two video chips (VIC-IIe

---
    * Origin: Dragon's Lair BBS: dragon.vk3heg.net Prt 6800 (39:901/280.0)