• Commodore Free Magazine, Issue 76 - Part 10

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/280 to All on Wed Dec 18 21:02:17 2013
    er interrupt is changing the color according to the sample rate, and the
    player detects it and plays the next sample. You can use the joystick to change colors and you can also change speed with the joystick or skip to the next tune or go back to the menu.

- - - - - - - - - -

Q. Nice its almost like being at a Pink Floyd concert; erm well almost. So what made you think of releasing your music this way!

A: The Vic-20 has always been a dear hobby of mine, and making music is even closer to my heart so it was very natural to me to combine the two, especially now when I already had developed a player and had a new album to release.

- - - - - - - - - -

Q. Is the music available to buy or download from anywhere else in a higher resolution versions?

A: Yes, it's available at boray.bandcamp.com/album/always-the-s ame-never-the-same in 24 bit 44kHz stereo, which is 23 millions times more detailed than the Vic-20 version! The cover art is 100% made from screen-shoots of the Vic-20 version. The music has in no way been adapted for the Vic-20 when I made it - I've aimed for it to sound as good as possible on modern hardware. The idea of releasing it on the Vic-20 came very late in the whole process. The feel of this album is a lot more synth and computer oriented compared to my previous recent albums. In a way, I feel that the old Boray Amiga tracker mod guy is back ;-)

- - - - - - - - - -

Q. Yes the music does feel more "retro" but the quality of the recording is very high, Do you think you would release a real VIC album I.e. composed entirely on the Vic rather than replaying samples

A: No, the only musical idea I have for the future involving a Vic-20, would be to program a couple of sounds/instruments on the Vic-20 and then sample
    them on the PC; and then use only vic-20 sounds in a tune using modern
    sampling software. Then you would be able to create something that would
    sound like a number of interconnected Vic-20s playing together. I think that could be cool.

- - - - - - - - - -

Q. Hmmm interconnected Vics now that sounds like a project, Do you have any other software you would like to plug for our readers at the moment

A: I'm sure most Windows users will find something they like at www.boray.se/software/ I'm actually using 7 of my own programs all the time, always running on my computer. My goal when making a program is always to offer something unique. I mean, what's the point of making the 10000'th implementation of Tetris? ;-) The most downloaded of my programs are "Boray Power" and "Average CPU Cycles" with about 9000 downloads each.

- - - - - - - - - -

Q. Well the teas gone cold and the biscuits are finished, so I would like to Thank you for the catch up, please contact me again; to tell me how many downloads you have had on the Vic music; and also how many paid downloads you received

A: For now, there has been 82 downloads of V1+V2+"always-never" put together, and there has been 7 downloads of the hi-fi album but only one paid ($7). For some reason, I don't expect these numbers to rise much. I'm very satisfied with my work and the music, it's not that, but people just don't seem to want to PAY for music these days. That's all.

Thanks for the tea! I would prefer coffee by the way

Anders

=====================================

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.01 (GNU/Linux-i386)
    * Origin: Dragon's Lair (39:901/280)