• Commodore Free Magazine, Issue 76 - Part 1

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/280 to All on Wed Dec 18 21:02:17 2013
    Commodore Free Magazine
    http://www.commodorefree.com/

Issue 76

Free to download magazine dedicated to Commodore computers Available as PDF, ePUB, MOBI, HTML, TXT, SEQ and D64 disk image

CONTENTS

* Editorial
    * Commodore Free E-Cover Tape #9
    * General News
    - PETSCII Graphics Editor
    - XLogical - AROS
    - Hints & Tips for Videogame
    Pioneers
    - History of Computing
    - 3 Chip 6502 Computer
    - CBM-Command v2.3
    - Commodore Userport USB
    - Bedford Level Experiment
    - Retro Invaders 2014 Calendar
    - RetroKomp / LOAD ERROR 2013
    * C64 News
    - Retrogaming Times Monthly #114
    - Mini Commodore C64 & 1541
    - C64 S-Video Conversion
    - The Papillons Inc. Interview
    - Commodore 64 Mega SID quiz!
    - Paul Koller Inteview
    - C64 Intros
    - C64 Endings
    - Games That Weren't 64
    - C64 - Debs & Errol
    - C64Studio v3.2
    - RTC and SD Card Interface
    - BitJam #177 - C64 HardSID Jukebox
    - Ultimate Quest Catacomb C64
    * VIC 20 and Plus/4 News
    - Plus Graph 2.0 - Plus/4
    - Sgt. Helmet Zero - Plus/4
    - FCBPAINT V0.6
    * Amiga News
    - Real AmiKit
    - Hyperion SDK Update
    - MiniHollyEdit v2.0
    - Simon Phipps Interview
    - AmigaAMP v3.12 - AmigaOS 4
    - Amiga Future Issue 105 Relesed
    - aMiGa=PoWeR 52 is available
    - ECX Available 2.3.1
    - Ahoymagazine.com
    - AmiWest 2013
    - Amiga exe games
    - Boingsworld #45
    - Flashtro Amiga
    - Prisma Megamix
    - Oricutron Oric Emulator V1.0
    - XRoar v0.30.3 - AmigaOS 4
    - Mediator PCI 3000Di MK-II
    * Review: Sgt. Helmet Zero [Plus/4]
    * Review: Pitfall [VIC 20 with 16K]
    * What Was The SCPU - From CMD
    * Interview With Anders (boray)

=====================================

EDITOR
    Nigel Parker

SPELL CHECKING
    Peter Badrick

TXT, HTML & E-BOOKS
    Paul Davis

D64 DISK IMAGE
    Al Jackson

PDF DESIGN
    Nigel Parker

CONTRIBUTORS
    Richard Bayliss
    Paul Davis

WEBSITE
    www.commodorefree.com

EMAIL ADDRESS
    commodorefree@commodorefree.com

SUBMISSIONS

Articles are always wanted for the magazine. Contact us for details. We
    can't pay you for your efforts but you are safe in the knowledge that you have passed on details that will interest other Commodore enthusiasts.

NOTICES

All materials in this magazine are the property of Commodore Free unless otherwise stated. All copyrights, trademarks, trade names, internet domain names or other similar rights are acknowledged. No part of this magazine may be reproduced without permission. The appearance of an advert in the magazine does not necessarily mean that the goods/services advertised are associated with or endorsed by Commodore Free Magazine.

COPYRIGHT

Copyright (c) 2013
    Commodore Free Magazine
    All Rights Reserved.

EDITORIAL

We would like to welcome our new "team" Alex Leonardi. Alex, along with Peter Badrick, will be proofreading the issues. I am hoping the quality of the magazine will improve somewhat with this extra member of the team.

If anyone else feels compelled to help, feel free to contact me at: commodorefree@commodorefree.com. I would like to hear from anyone interested in helping, especially technical writers and some of you "artsy" type people. The next issue, the first of a new year, I wanted to have a nice, revamped magazine, but I can only do this with your help. Thanks to everyone who emailed in about the format of the News section. Although I received a lot of emails from people who didn't like the news grouping, I received more from people who did! One thing is for sure. The grouping seems to have a positive effect on the magazines compilation, as it makes the D64 image easier to work on.

RIGHT WHAT HAVE WE IN THIS ISSUE?

Well, sidestepping the question a little.

I have been watching the 50th Anniversary celebrations of Doctor Who. It's
    all really exciting at the moment with reruns and Doctor Who look-backs, interviews and how the show all started. BBC has gone all-out. This
    "all-out" is slightly different from when they tried their best to kill off
    the show a number of times in the past.

In this issue, I have a catch up chat with Boray, and find out about his new VIC 20 music player and his new album he has simultaneously released on the VIC. Could this be the first album released on the VIC? We have a look at 2 games, one for the VIC; it's a port of the classic "pitfall" game on the Atari 2600. This is a very classy version, carefully crafted to be as close to the Atari version as possible. Not only does it retain all the looks of the original. It has the game play to go with it! We also see a port of the spectrum game Sgt. Helmet Zero; again, another excellent conversion closely matching the original. Both games are a fitting end to the Retro Commodore year.

And so, from me, I just wish to thank you for reading and hope you have a
    happy new year, I will rejoin you in 2014.

Regards Nigel (editor)

www.commodorefree.com

COMMODORE FREE E-COVER TAPE #9
    By Richard Bayliss

Seasons Greetings readers. Welcome to a very special festive edition of the Commodore Free E-Cover tape #9. There are a series of Christmas programs; randomly picked from the demo / game scene. All of which are Public Domain. There's also an unofficial sequel of Frosty the Snowman. However if you are fed up with Christmas, then we have some non festive programs for you to enjoy as well. One of which is a fun platform collect 'em up, a couple of SEUCK games. Enjoy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

DODO'S DEEP DOO-DOO

(C)2013 Carl Mason

Programming: Carl Mason (Using Sideways SEUCK), Richard Bayliss (Enhancements) Graphics: Carl Mason
    Music: Richard Bayliss

Controls: Joystick in Port 2

To start this issue's cover tape, we have the SEUCK Compo 2013 entry which
    made second place. Graphically is is very nice. It is the 17th century on
    the island of Mauritius and you are the last of the Dodos. Sailors carrying harpoons and blunderbusses are on the hunt and have set traps all over the island which you must traverse in order to find any eggs which may be stashed away. A map is shown at the start of each area to help you remember where
    they were hidden:

Each dot on the mini map represents a pile of leaves or some other potential nesting site, the light dots are the locations which contain an egg whereas
    the black dots are empty or could even hold a trap. Also on your travels you may come across mounds of dirt, simply press fire on these and a dodo tree sapling will sprout from it, do this 4 times and you will gain an extra life, some are easier to find than others.

Can you get to safety, avoiding booby traps and the elements with all of the eggs?

WALKING ON THE MOON

(C)2006 Achim Volkers

Programming: Achim Volkers
    Graphics: Achim Volkers
    Music: Richard Bayliss

Controls: Joystick in Port 2

Walking on the Moon, is one you may probably enjoy, if you like games that involve jumping on to platforms and picking up objects. You jet off on to various sections of the moon, and your mission is to pick up all a limited number of stars withing a time limit, before moving on to the end of the level (So that you can reach the next level). The trouble is that on each section of the moon. There are alien life forms. If one touches you, then a life will be lost. Some aliens will be simple enough to watch out for. Others can be
    tougher to avoid, but of course it is possible.

AQUAVILE 2012

(C)2012/2013 Violation Entertainment

Programm

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.01 (GNU/Linux-i386)
    * Origin: Dragon's Lair (39:901/280)