• Commodore Free Magazine, Issue 75 - Part 1

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/280 to All on Thu Dec 12 11:06:41 2013
    Commodore Free Magazine
    http://www.commodorefree.com/

Issue 75

Free to download magazine dedicated to Commodore computers Available as PDF, ePUB, MOBI, HTML, TXT, SEQ and D64 disk image

CONTENTS

* Editorial
    * Commodore Free E-Cover Tape #8
    * General News
    - Retro Planet Issue 1
    - Arc64 Updated To V2.5
    - C&A Games Issue 7, 8, 9 and 10
    - Retro Asylum: David Whittaker
    - Retrocomputing Retr0sbiancante
    - Cassiopei
    * C64 News
    - C64 Studio v3.1
    - Submarine Rescue
    - Windows 105
    - Use Mssiah with sd2uiec
    - Commodore and Lego
    - Jim Drew Website + SuperCard Pro
    - C64 80 Column Adapter
    - Hoxs64 Emulator v1.0.8.6
    * VIC20 News
    - Pitfall
    * C16 & Plus/4 News
    - Vic20/C16 Newsstand Compilation 2
    - Tree Some Released for the Plus/4
    - C+4Hires Picture Disk Released
    * Amiga News
    - Bed Games 1: Carola
    - Triangulation 118: Tim Jenison
    - AmigaOS SDK Update (Finally)
    - syaSokoban v2.0.1 for AROS
    - WHDLoad Updates
    * Speaking Notes for a Presentation
    * Interview With Scott Hunter
    * "The...System...Is...Down"

=====================================

EDITOR
    Nigel Parker

SPELL CHECKING
    Peter Badrick

TXT, HTML & E-BOOKS
    Paul Davis

D64 DISK IMAGE
    Al Jackson

PDF DESIGN
    Nigel Parker

CONTRIBUTORS
    Richard Bayliss
    Jim Butterfield

WEBSITE
    www.commodorefree.com

EMAIL ADDRESS
    commodorefree@commodorefree.com

SUBMISSIONS

Articles are always wanted for the magazine. Contact us for details. We can't pay you for your efforts but you are safe in the knowledge that you have
    passed on details that will interest other Commodore enthusiasts.

NOTICES

All materials in this magazine are the property of Commodore Free unless otherwise stated. All copyrights, trademarks, trade names, internet domain names or other similar rights are acknowledged. No part of this magazine may
    be reproduced without permission. The appearance of an advert in the magazine does not necessarily mean that the goods/services advertised are associated with or endorsed by Commodore Free Magazine.

COPYRIGHT

Copyright (c) 2013
    Commodore Free Magazine
    All Rights Reserved.

EDITORIAL

Right then I suppose some of you keen eyed readers will have noticed that deadlines have slipped and schedules haven't been made. Let me just say this, it may or may not happen again depending on how much free time I do or don't have.

PI AND COMMODORE

Anyway let's read about what we have for you in this issue well an interview with Scott Hunter the creator of the Commodore PI. This software turns the Raspberry Pi hardware into a Commodore 64 computer, although the project is quite new you can read how Scott has progressed and if you are so inclined
    find out how you can help Scott with the project.

TAPED

Yes the cover tape is still here although it's still Commodore 64 Related (common guys where are the Vic, C16 and Pet entries for this feature) the
    cover tape has a number of special treats and Richard will introduce them at the start of the feature which is good for me as it means I have top type a
    lot less in the editorial feature about them!

JIM BUTTERFIELD

I also have some reading noted found on a disk I was trying to image for someone in America, the notes seem to be a reading guide for Jim, It actually credited them as both Jim and Robert Bernado, but after speaking with Robert
    he said he knew nothing about them, so I didn't know who to contact with
    regard to printing the article as I thought it was good for others to read I published it anyway. Sadly as you are aware Jim has passed away, but he would have been very high on my "must meet" peoples list. I am not relay into these celebrities who are famous for being famous sake but Jim when I saw interviews with him seemed very down to earth and didn't seem to bother about repeating the same information over and over again to eager interviewers.

NEWS

Yes the news is still here and divided up again into machine type, as so many people commented on this way of reporting news so I kept it as you seem to
    like it so much better than the old way. That's me out for another issue.

A number of people have contacted me with articles and some special items for Commodore free, as at the moment this is all vapour ware I don't want to build up your hopes as people have contacted me before and said they would write and then seem to go very quiet, but I think these guys are genuine anyway more
    news when I have something confirmed.

STORY TIME

We finish this issue with a short story based around the Commodore 64 written by yours truly, let me know what you think as it's my first real writing
    effort since school, wonder what my English teacher would have marked me for the effort and I wonder if he would have still placed the words "could do better" at the end like he used to on all my work!

Well...........

Thanks for reading
    Nigel
    Editor
    www.commodorefree.com

COMMODORE FREE E-COVER TAPE #8
    By Richard Bayliss

FEAST YOUR EYES ON THESE BEAUTIES:

* 4 Awesome Games
    * Including the stunning SUB HUNTER!
    * Plus a 4 Demo Extravaganza

Last issue, we struck back with some nice surprises. This issue it gets even BIGGER. As we have gone totally MAD. Yes, that's right. Probably one of our biggest E-Cover Tapes of all time so far. Plus SUB HUNTER celebrates its 5th anniversary this month, and guess what? It is also on this issue's E-Cover Tape. In its original 2008 form. Also included on this issue's cover tape is something extra special. I have been given kind permission from Skull / Samar to add Bomberman C64 on to this issue's E-Cover tape. We were going to add the playable demo of Bomberland on to the tape, but sadly due to file size and multi-load from disk, there would have been too much hassle to cram that in.

We also have a fun spooky game by Shaun Pearson. Also an excellent Tetris game by Megastyle. Finally a pick of 4 randomly picked demos of the past.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Covertape Highlight

SUB HUNTER - 5TH ANNIVERSARY

(C)2008 Psytronik Software

Programming: Richard Bayliss, Paul Hughes (loader)
    Graphics: Frank Gasking
    Music: Thomas (Drax) Mogensen

Controls: Joystick in Port 2

To start this issue's E-Cover tape comes something special. As the author of this game, I am very proud to celebrate the 5th anniversary of Sub Hunter, by releasing it on to this issue's cover tape. It features excellent graphics by Frank Gasking, and wonderful music by Thomas Mogensen/Maniacs of Noise. It
    also used the classic Ocean Freeload tape master system (Used with permission of course, as the source is now public domain), This was to give the game some sort of Ocean nostalgic appeal.

The story:

A cargo ship was sailing across the deep blue sea, until disaster strikes. The ship had a fault, in which caused an oil spillage. The oil spillage caused toxic chemicals to spread through underwater. All fish and living creatures turned into mutants and everything just spiralled out of control. Apparently, it wasn't an accident whatsoever. A corrupt government agency deliberately blasted a hole into the cargo ship, which was carting the toxic oil.

As a cover up attempt. Operation clean and rescue was called upon the government. You signed yourself to tackle the mess, in which the corrupt
    agents had caused. Not only this, there have been sightings of swimmers in the polluted water. The government agency has sent you to seek and rescue those stranded swimmers.

Playing the game:

This game is split into different segments.

Shoot and rescue: Shoot at the muta

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.01 (GNU/Linux-i386)
    * Origin: Dragon's Lair (39:901/280)
  • From Wilfred van Velzen@39:150/200 to Stephen Walsh on Fri Dec 13 12:32:22 2013
    Hi Stephen,

On 2013-12-12 11:06:41, Stephen Walsh wrote to All:
    about: "Commodore Free Magazine, Issue 75 - Part 1":

Commodore Free Magazine

Issue 75

I've missed issues 73 and 74 in here?

Bye, Wilfred.

--- FMail-W32-1.66
    * Origin: Native IPv6 connectable node (39:150/200)
  • From Stephen Walsh@39:901/280 to Wilfred van Velzen on Sat Dec 14 22:29:29 2013
    Hello Wilfred.

13 Dec 13 12:32, you wrote to me:

Commodore Free Magazine

Issue 75

Re-posted just for you!..

Stephen

--- GoldED-NSF/LNX 1.1.5-b20130414
    * Origin: Dragon's Lair (39:901/280)
  • From Wilfred van Velzen@39:150/200 to Stephen Walsh on Sat Dec 14 12:58:54 2013
    Hi,

On 2013-12-14 22:29:29, Stephen Walsh wrote to Wilfred van Velzen:
    about: "Commodore Free Magazine, Issue 75 - Part 1":

Commodore Free Magazine

Issue 75

Re-posted just for you!..

Thanks. ;)

Bye, Wilfred.

--- FMail-W32-1.66
    * Origin: Native IPv6 connectable node (39:150/200)