• Commodore Free Issue 72, Part 5

From Stephen Walsh@39:901/280 to All on Thu Aug 15 17:11:00 2013
    thought I'd share with readers
    this mistake that I've made myself! I've been baffled by this, stuck in a loop trying the same thing over and over (a sure sign of madness). I tried the same thing as Terry, and it all worked. Now I don't like printing out email trails, but I think others will find this information useful, especially if you are stuck in the loop of wondering why the whole thing doesn't work! [If I edit
    any of this, there's a danger that a procedure will get messed up, so I'll leave it verbatim. Sounds like there's enough pain going on already - Sub-Ed]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To: C= email list
    Subject: RL DACC memory partitions

Hi all,

I wanted to rephrase what I posted about the RL DACC memory partitions.

I did some homework on this right from the addendum manual that came with my Ramlink. The Ramlink utility disk has software for creating the DACC
    partition. The device number is what is important, The DACC accesses the
    actual memory ONLY using device# 22 or higher. using Device 8 or 9 or to 21 will not work, these device numbers only use the memory AS a disk drive and
    not accessing the RAM.

I made that same mistake myself, when I tried to create the DACC partition (using device 8) the Ramlink red error light would come on and stay on until I removed the bad partition. Using Device 22 then worked I made a 1581 DACC, I booted Wheels and up popped a DIALOGUE box which had a list of all detected
    RAM expansion devices, including the DACC memory partition. I selected the
    DACC and Wheels booted perfectly using this configuration.

So it was good for me to learn how to make this work, I wanted to share this with anybody here that uses GEOS/ Wheels OS. I really didn't try this with
    GEOS but Wheels handled this type of ram very well. It made me do my homework and I made it work.

-Terry Raymond

COMMODORE FREE: And here is a response

-----Original Message-----
    To: C= email list
    Subject: Re: RL DACC memory
    partitions

If you are using you RamLink only for Wheels, you can have your DACC a minimum of 128K (512 blocks), then you can use your remaining ram for a single native partition, to make it easier to put large quantities of files without
    switching around in various partitions.

If you plan to use geos as well, this might not be your best option. The RL/RD setup on side two of your RamLink utilities disk makes setting everything up easy the first time. It is a destructive program that will clear all
    partitions on the RamLink.

I've got my RamLink maxed out at 16mb, so for geos compatibility I used the 512k DACC + 1581 partition, using the RL/RD setup, then go to Ramtools on side one of the Ramlink utility disk to create my native partition for Wheels. Keep in mind geos does require the configure file from the RamLink disk to be recognized correctly under Geos 2.0.

Had you mentioned you were trying to set up your DACC for Wheels, in your earlier posts, some of us would have had a better idea of suggestions to get you up and running quicker.

Snogpitch
    home.fuse.net/snogpitch/

JASMC6502 RELEASED FOR ANDROID
    PLATFORM

Program your machine from the comfort of your favourite chair, at the airport, waiting for a bus or whenever the call of nature beckons you. This Android utility is programmed by Uppercase Software, which just seems to consist of
    one member at the moment called "CSixx". The software is available to download now.

More information can be found here

csdb.dk/release/?id=119779

Or you can just download the file from here

csdb.dk/getinternalfile.php/118137/jasmC6502.apk

NEW EASYNET UPDATE AVAILABLE

EasyNet is a comprehensive network and internet connectivity solution for the Classic Amiga

News from amigakit

EasyNet, the networking software for Classic Amiga computers has now been updated.

NEW FEATURES INCLUDE:

* support for WPA in the wireless settings: ideal for Neil Cafferkey's
    prism2v2 driver

* you can now change wireless networks on the fly without going offline then
    online again.

* wireless networks can be now temporarily be used and not permanently saved

* fixed bug for NTSC users running 640x200 screen mode

* fixed bug in Connect to SMB share list window

* fixed bugs in the Live Update function, window and progress bar

* various internal changes ready for new wireless functions under development

The update build 175 is now available from the Live Update server and also on our webstore here
    amigakit.leamanc omputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=806

This update is only for customers who have previously purchased EasyNet from us. We will need your EasyNet serial number when ordering the update (found in EasyNet's About menu).

We would like to thank users for their patience with this update. Various
    other projects delayed EasyNet from being developed, however, a series of new functions are now planned for the next year.

www.amigakit.com/easynet

WINUAE 2.6.1 UPDATE RELEASED

Toni Wilen has released version 2.6.1 of WinUAE fixing some previous bugs and adding some new features to the application

2.6.0 BUGS FIXED:

* OFS formatted partition hardfile didn't mount.

* Some AGA demos had horizontally duplicated graphics.

* Direct3D hq2x shader filter did nothing.

OTHER BUGS FIXED:

* Reset didn't fully reinitialize SCSI emulation.

* A3000 SCSI emulation compatibility improved, original A3000 1.4 ROM driver
    hung during writing to the disk.

NEW FEATURES:

* Input panel Invert option added (press becomes release and vice versa,
    joystick and mouse movement is inverted)

* FPU unimplemented instruction emulation can be optionally disabled, emulates
    real 68040/68060 CPU behavior.

* >2M Chip RAM is now merged with original Chip RAM pool.

Visit the WinUAE homepage www.winuae.net/ to download.

ARESONE (MODEL 2013) IS AVAILABLE

Information taken from a press release. The AresOne (model 2k13) is available at www.ares-shop.de

As usual, it is an AROS (native) compatible hardware. Additionally it comes with AMC and an AEROS live-installer pendrive.

www.ares-shop.de/product_info.php?language=de&products_id=30

Everything above my self-costs will be used for AROS bounties and or projects.

Developers can ask for discounts. German people can ask for a monthly payment (the possible options are from 1k € , 36,60 or 80 month).

COMPUTER SAVER FROM RAY CARLSEN

To: commodoreFree
    Subject: Computer Saver from Ray
    Carlsen

Ray Carlsen, veteran Commodore repair technician, is now selling Computer
    Saver (an improved version of his original Computer Saver, the schematic of which had been on his website for years). Like the original, his new Computer Saver functions as a voltage limiter when plugged in-line between the C64 and the C64 power supply. Read what Ray says about his product --

Hi,

Photos of the construction of those savers are on my site -- personalpage s.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/c64/SAVER/EXTERNAL/

AN EXTERNAL "COMPUTER SAVER" PROTECTION DEVICE FOR THE C64

This shows a small run of the Computer Saver I designed. It is made to be installed between any C64 and its power supply. The two LED's on the Saver
    case are indicators of the PS status. The LED on the left monitors the 9VAC from the supply and it should be on all the time the PS is plugged in to AC power, whether the computer is on or off. The other LED (marked "failsafe") is normally off. It only comes on if the PS fails due to a shorted internal regulator.

That fault is what damages chips in the computer, most often the RAM. Since there is already an LED on the comput

--- Mystic BBS BBS v1.10 A36 (Linux)
    * Origin: Dragon's Lair BBS, Telnet: bbs.vk3heg.net (39:901/280)